Thread: Full length UHMW bottom - maintenance question

Default Full length UHMW bottom - maintenance question

I just bought a 2007 Phantom Sport John that has a full length UHMW bottom with 1/2" keel bottom protection tapering down to 3/8" protection on the remainder of the bottom of the boat. It also has steel rock knockers installed (all done by Alaska Air Boats).

My question is regarding any/all required maintenance - what, if anything do you need to do? This is my second river boat, but first Phantom (not to mention experience with the UHMW).

I've seen little in the archives and figured someone out there would have some answers. I'm sure Alaska Air Boats will have some information but would like independent comments from owners in addition to a dealer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

If The UHMW Has Been Sliced Under Your Boat Check It Every Time You Pull It Out Of The Water, If You Hit That Sliced Area With Sharp Rock You Have The Protental To Pull The UHMW From The Screws And Make A Speed Brake You And Your Passengers Will Not Like. It Will Stop Your Boat. There Is A Guy There In Anchorage Named Bud That Was Trying Out An Airboat And It Happened To Him And The Guy Saling It And It Put Him In The Water And The Owner Of The Airboat Took The Windsheild Frame Out. Not To Scare You But Keep An Eye On It If Its Sliced

Thanks for your post. There are no issues or defects best I can tell.

Outside of daily inspections when loading/unloading the boat onto the trailer, any other needs or requirements/things I should be aware of?
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default UHMW Maintenance

Aside from checking it for the aforementioned slices (you'll know you did some damage if you hit it hard enough), the stuff is awfully tough. Depending on how it's attached, just take a look at the fasteners after each trip if you made any contact and that's about it. Nothing will hold up to serious abuse forever, yet you obviously bought an SJ for it's abilities, not for how tough it is. To a point, you can't have it both ways. You are more likely to damage a rock knocker than the UHMW, depending on how they are attached, which, by the way, is my question to you. How did AK Airboats fasten them on. I have a challenge in that area that needs to be resolved, thanks, and enjoy the new boat. I PMed you in reply to yours. OzAk