Thread: Hitch for 2007 Summit 600??

Default Hitch for 2007 Summit 600??

I just picked up a 07 Summit 600 and was wondering what you guys/gals use for a sled hitch? I have a 10 ft siglin and need to install a hitch. I don't pull the siglin that often but I still want a hitch system that would hold up with a decent load (like a moose or ?). If you can, please include a photo or a link to the hitch that works on your summit. Thanks.

Oh, any preferences or recommendations on a saddlebag or tunnel bag for the same machine?

Do not get a Doo tunnel bag, it will not keep your stuff dry. I'd look at the Skinz tunnel bag or try and find something that will keep your gear dry.

As for the sled hitch, I got one from Team CC in Eagle River exactly like this one and it works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Skinz Protective Gear makes a very nice Dry bags that fit your tunnel, and they keep stuff dry, I have one.

Jason,

How is the snowmachine working out? I was a bit worried when you left the house? My machine is in the shop, but when I pick it up this week, I can look at the hitch.

James

Thanks for the replies and info.

AKHUNTER45: So you attached that "J hook" style hitch directly to the round tube bumper on your Summit w/o any other reinforcements? I was a bit skeptical of it being strong enough to handle much of a load.

James: I put a 1/2 can of HEET in the tank because there was frozen moisture on the inside of the gas cap and it was actually missing pretty bad at wide open throttle. It cleared up and seems to be running well now. It has been starting on the 2nd pull - yahoo! You might consider adding some HEET to your machines? Thanks, J

Add IsoHeet in the red bottle, not the yellow regular Heet.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Thanks MARV1 - that's correct, use IsoHeet in the red bottle. The yellow bottled HEET is NOT recommended for 2 cycle engines.

Default Ski Doo factory hitch

Get the Ski-Doo factory hitch. I have one on a 2005 Summit. It comes with a steel bar that replaces the aluminum bumper and the hitch actually connects to the tunnel as well. Make sure to weld a couple pieces of steel to the "flapper" to fit the tongue of the cargo sled. This reduces the wear incurred from banging around with a sloppy fit. There are many miles with heavy loads logged on this system. As for bags, I have a Snobunje tunnel bag and have not had a problem with moisture. If you would like pictures just PM me with your email address.

I have an '07 summit and use the factory J hitch 45 suggested. I always have a sled on the back. Sometimes probably loaded too heavy. My only complaint is the the hitch is so #%@% high. I have to lift the sled up to hook up. When coming out with a load I attach a locking carabiner to make it easier if I get stuck or have to unhook. I am looking at bolting welding another bumper about 2" lower and tying them in together and then adding an aftermarket "J" hitch in an attempt to lower the hitch. I'll post pics if I have time to experiment and get the project done this season.

I've never hauled anything really heavy with mine so I cannot say as to the strength of the setup. I let my friend borrow it a few weeks ago and he hauled in enough supplies for him, his 2 sons and g/f for a 3 night stay at Kenny Creek Lodge which includes lots of gas, food, beer, clothes etc, etc. I don't hunt much during the winter but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to try it. My friend also had a hitch on his Renegade that he sold recently that bolted to the back of the sled, that might be worth checking out.

I think the warning sticker on the heavy duty bumper that ski doo sells says 500lbs max pull. IMO if you hauled a little more than that you'd probably fry a belt before you did any damage to the tunnel if you are pulling nice and easy.

well I never noticed the warning sticker so after AK45's post I went and looked over my rig. Every thing looks like it should. I wouldn't worry about hauling a LOAD with the factory hitch as I know I have pushed it more than a few times (a broken down super wide, and the sled I was pulling) and I know the wood I haul back has to average 6-800 lbs. + per load. I have gone through one belt after 2200 miles.

My biggest gripe is the height of the hitch in relation to the ground. All my summits have been great pullers and durable rigs.