Thread: Tried some 200gr Hornady FTX flex tips in 350 Rem Mag

Default Tried some 200gr Hornady FTX flex tips in 350 Rem Mag

I decided to experiment with some 200 grain flex tips today before the wind got so bad the chronograph blew over.

I tried s51.0 grains of RL-7 and some very old (1973) CCI-250s in rem Brass loaded to 2.780inch COL with no crimp. This powder load previous pushed Hornady 200 grain round nose bullets to 3,011 from my Ruger M77MKII all weather.

It pushed the red tipped spire type FTX bullet to 2,750 fps and a 1.0 inch group at 100 yards. There were pressure signs and this is as much RL7 that I would ever use.

Then I tried some RL10x. I could not find any data so I worked up some loads based upon similar powders. The max being 58.0 grains.
    Once again I used the old CCI250s and Remington brass, with a COL of 2.780 inch and no crimp.
    This RL-10x load pushed the 200 FTX bullets to a low of 2,982 and a max of 3,016 fps. The group was 1.70 inch and the holes looked odd. Like maybe they were yawing. There were pressure signs as well. Backing off to 57. grains still puts it into the 2,900fps + range, but I need more time to make it an accurate load.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

That's interesting about the potential yawing. No explanation, or even guesses, from this end!

I've been fond of RL7 for medium and smallish cases since the day it appeared, but haven't had the chance to try it in a 350. I sure like the way it meters. With stout loads I always meter into the scale pan, then confirm or adjust. I've got to say that about 90% of the charges I drop with RL7 are right on the money. What a time saver!

The RL7 loads at 2,750 fps did not yaw, just the RL-10x loads at 3,000 fps. And even then it was not super evident. The holes just looked less clean in the paper. I was wondering if the bullets were starting to deform at that velocity? They were made for a 1800 to 2100 fps range... I think...
    I sent an e-mail to Hornady asking them what they thought...

Now that's an interesting question! Based on driving 180 grain .429 pistol bullets too fast in a wildcat rifle cartridge, I can confirm that when thin-jacketed bullets are driven a whole lot over their design velocity, weird things start to happen. It's pretty overt with those 180's edged up toward 2900 fps or so---- you get blue/gray smokey streaks headed toward the target, but no holes in the paper. Woops.

Just received an e-mail from Hornady. They said that the 200 grain - 35 caliber, FTX bullets were only good up to 2,400 fps..

So I guess 3,000 fps is a bit of a stretch....

Shoot, they're just depriving you of a little fun. You aren't getting any blue streaks yet are you? ;-)

Default NAHhh

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Shoot, they're just depriving you of a little fun. You aren't getting any blue streaks yet are you? ;-)
    He can just shoot a few 158 gr 357 JHP if he wants blue streaks.
    I wonder if his 200 grain bullets are obterating under the excessive pressure and that deformation is his problem, causeing yawing and poor groups?
    The maximum pressure curves of the bullets are very different !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I wonder if his 200 grain bullets are obterating under the excessive pressure and that deformation is his problem, causing yawing and poor groups
    I was thinking along those lines as well.

The load at 2,700fps was nice and accurate (Ruger rifle) and I'l bet the 150 to 200 yard impact velocity is within the 2,400 fps operating range.

The 3,000 fps load was probably deforming the bullets...
    Can you imagine what it would do to a coyote at 100 yards?.. I wonder if it would exit...?

Default YEP

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The 3,000 fps load was probably deforming the bullets...
    Can you imagine what it would do to a coyote at 100 yards?.. I wonder if it would exit...?
    YEP, at 100 yards it would deform a coyote as well !! Depends on what you call exit? If you mean come out , NO ! But it would probaly remove the off-side of a coyote leaving nothing to exit from !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Not sure as to the cause, but I had a similar accuracy deel with my wifes .308 when I tried to push 110 gr bullets warp speed. With mild charges of blue dot I'd get 3 shot moa or better groups. When I tried H-335 for estimated 3000+ fps loads, the best 3 shot groups were over 2", the worst groups were 5"!

In my youth I was trying to drag more out of 308 for deer and loaded Sierra 125's to max. Didn't see any deer the day I took them out, but on the hike back I busted out a coyote and took him in the left shoulder at about 30 yards as he scooted from right to left. When I rolled him over, the right shoulder was gone. We never found it!!!! Just a big gaping hole where it used to be, so I'm really glad we didn't see any deer that day!

I used a bunch of Sierra and Speer 110 HP's in that gun for ground squirrels and had excellent accuracy, though the effects were even more emphatic than the 125's on that yodel pup. Think pink spray.

I'm betting the 200's would exit on a 100 yard coyote, and you wouldn't bother skinning it.

I'm thinking these will act like V-Max's at any impact velocity above 2500fps.

I though about these for my 358Win but decided against it since there are plenty of other serviceable 200gr offerings.

I'm thinking these will act like V-Max's at any impact velocity above 2500fps.
    I though about these for my 358Win but decided against it since there are plenty of other serviceable 200gr offerings.
    A 200 grain 358 caliber bullet with a B.C. of .300 (what these have) will only be traveling at 2,386 fps at 75 yards if fired at a muzzle velocity of 2,600 fps. (@2,300 fps at 100 yards)
    Since 2,580- 2,620 fps is about the max for realistic muzzle velocity from a 358 Win, these might actually not be a bad bullet to experiment with..

I had the same reaction. My favorite 358 Win load for my Savage 99 generates about 2425 fps from its 22" barrel. In spite of other folks disdain, I've always liked the performance of Winchester 200 grain Silver Tips at that velocity, and seriously mourned finishing off the last box of bullets I had. Still have a couple of boxes of factory loads I've been hoarding.

If the FTX performance is reminiscent of the Silver Tip at those velocities, I'm going to be like a pig in a silage pit.

I am trying to find something to use as testing medium for this bullet. I stacked up a bunch of old outdated MRE ham paddy meals and tried that... but it blew right through the 32 inches that I managed to pile into a frame. Made a big mess too.. That was at an impact vel of about 2,500 fps.

That doesn't sound too far off, as a matter of fact, though I'm really distrustful of inferring anything from test media to game. None of them are a decent match, though they're useful for comparing one bullet to another in that particular medium.

I say it might not be too far off, based on one bullet recovered from that self-same 200 grain Silver Tip loading at 2425 I mentioned. I took a Texas heart shot on a departing large blacktail at 80 yards. Landed at the base of the tail, ranged all the way forward between the ribs and the backstrap, along the spine in the neck, and came to rest against the right side of the lower jaw. Though it didn't hit any "vital" organs, the deer was deader than dead when I got up to it. It plowed a big long furrow in the ground with it's nose when it went down. Recovered bullet weight 136 grains. I figure it penetrated well over 5 feet of pure meat and no bones till it hit the jaw. I bet that same load would have launched pieces of MRE pig over three counties.

BTW- My favorite test medium is dry newspapers or magazines borrowed from the recycling center and baled for convenient handling. No claim that it represents flesh, but it's easy to compare bullets. Almost no mess, and when you're done, rebale it and hand it back to the recycler.

For years I was using wet hot-water soaked newpaper or wet phone books in plastic bags.. But it seemed to tear up the bullets much more than actual game critter meat was doing...
    I was going to toss the old MRE meals anyway, so I figured why not get creative. It did work ok for some pistol bullet testing though...

Since 2,580- 2,620 fps is about the max for realistic muzzle velocity from a 358 Win, these might actually not be a bad bullet to experiment with..
    Agreed. They were designed for 35Rem velocities so the extra 3-400 fps from a 358Win shouldn't rule them out. I'm very happy with the 200gr loads that I've worked up though so I didn't pursue these bullets.

My first comment, V-max results, was directed towards using them in a 350 RemMag. Your results with the MRE's kinda discredited my statement.

We used to use a sheet of 1/4" plywood in front of water-filled milk jugs as our medium. Like others, it's realistic value is unknown but it made sense to us at the time and we had plenty of raw materials. Coloring the water makes it more spectacular too!

Quote Originally Posted by ANGCorsair View Post

We used to use a sheet of 1/4" plywood in front of water-filled milk jugs as our medium. Like others, it's realistic value is unknown but it made sense to us at the time and we had plenty of raw materials. Coloring the water makes it more spectacular too!
    This is totally off-topic, but our favorite plinking target for offhand shooting is a 12-16 oz plastic water or pop bottle full of water. They're really impressive when hit with almost anything, and the recycle center is just as happy to get them blown up as whole. We almost never manage to recycle any whole ones. Every time the bin starts getting full, that's a signal that it's time to go shooting. Then to the recycle center.

My wife isn't all that interested in practicing with centerfires, except with water bottles as targets. And she can do some impressive work while she's at it. Last time out, using her/my (we're still discussing ownership) Savage 99 in 250 with peep sights, she went 10 straight hits offhand at 75 yards. We set up another batch of bottles and she only went 9 for 10, and was irate! Neither of us have managed to sweep the board at 100 yards, but we both can almost always top 50%. I bet if we'd just drink more bottled beverages, we could shoot enough to manage it. More practice!

And more reloading. No matter the caliber (yeah, even me and a 375 or 458), we each manage to shoot in excess of 100 rounds on most range trips, all offhand. Mix a little fun into range sessions with the water bottles, and it's pretty easy to do.

I tried some more 200 grain FTX bullets. This time I experimented with BENCHMARK powder and WW mag primers.
    51.0 grains of BENCHMARK gave me 2,450 fps and a 1.5 inch group. But no pressure signs so I can start to work up.

I also tried 51.0 grains of Benchmark with some very deep seated Nolser 225 grain Ballistic Tips. (with a heavy roll crmp)

I obtained 2,470 fps and a HALF INCH GROUP. And no pressure signs. Hmmm this might lead to something....