Thread: Wolverine trapping

Default Wolverine trapping

I am looking for some tips on wolverine trapping methods.I need some new tricks.

What are your old tricks? How about a 5 gallon bucket with a 330. Like marten, but think bigger.

I always say 4 things #1 a solid cubby (or bucket) that they can't get in from the back. #2 a 330 as they don't get out. #3 a nice large bait ( I like about a 15 lb hunk of beaver) and #4 a heavy dose of loud, skunky lure. That said, I'm no expert and only have a lifetime total of 10 wolverines.

Are you trapping where there are trees? Do you know what a marten pole set is? Make the same thing for a wolverine. Bait at the end of the pole, but instead of a trap or coni, use a snare. Hang snare about 7 in. off pole. Wolverine will climb pole to get bait and walk thru snare. In general they are not trap/snare shy.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

could you double your poles set for wolverine and marten if you hung the snare before the marten trap?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Sure, if you want to use 6 in. dia. poles for marten, then maybe you could do that.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

How about foot holds.Any sugestions

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by trapperschmidt View Post
    How about foot holds.Any sugestions
    yup,
    Set three at the front of the cubby. One in the middle and one on each outside corner. Place/wire real good a hare hide or cat hide at the back of the cubby. Wolverine hate cats with a passion, it is their worst enemy. It helps get them mad. You won't catch him on the center trap, but he will end up getting in one of the side traps when he gets frustrated and tries backing out with the bait. One cat = two wolverine, general rule of thumb.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Dose anyone have pictures

Default snares

I mostly use snares, here is a pic of the set, there is 5 or 6 snares guarding the bait in the middle on trails that I drag my feet on. You can see where one circled the set before commiting. This has been a great producer over the yrs

Default guarded pole set

I'll protect a couple marten pole sets where wolverine come by, dragging my feet through a tight places and set a snare,

This looks like it will work good.I have had the wolverine cicle my cubbies and not go in.

Default Wolverine Trapping

Hey Takotna; Is that your bait bucket in the picture?? What is your setup?? Is it a stink bait in the bucket as an attractent.??

Thanx/joseph

Yea Joseph, it's a bucket with some rotted down bear.

Nice, thanks for sharing.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Looks like some good sets.