Thread: Little Cleo

Default Little Cleo

Hi,
    I was fishing the beach in Seward a couple of years ago, catching a few, and this guy comes by with a limit. Go to talking to him and he said he only used Little Cleo spoons for that type of fishing. I am not familiar with this lure. Anyone ever use them? Are they any better than pixies?

Thanks for the input.

Charlie

Wink

They are wobbler spoons. There are dozens of different ones. You should have taken notice of the ones he was using, as not all will work for a given piece of water. I tried them a few times, but recall only catching Humpies on them. Never gave them much opportunity though. But fish being fish, they will hit anything, sometimes.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Little Cleos are huge down here for casting on the great lakes. I have spent hours chucking them in the spring. Lakers love then as do the salmon when they are up chasing smelt.

Krocs are way better than Cleos IMO . . .

You can take that to the freezer/BBQ

I played with them a lot. They're comparatively cheap and heavy relative to length, their biggest virtue being you can really cast them a long ways while still not getting into a really long spoon when the fish want something "small" or short. I don't use them much except in deeper water when the fish want something moving fairly fast. Slow them way down, and they sink like rocks. In that way, they are a lot like Pixies. I prefer Crockodiles most of the time because they can be moved a lot slower without sinking so fast. And when long casting is really needed, Kastmasters are even better. But get the color pattern right, and the Little Cleo will work.

The old ones have an engraving of a scantly cald woman on the back........they seem to work better then the new ones, at least on fishermen.

Seriously though I agree with kgpcr, I grew on Little Cleos and Rapalas.

Never used then on Silvers, but the tiny one thats only about 1 inch long is my families best trout lure in the local lakes.

I haven't used them in the salt, but the 1/4 oz spoons in brass/blue, brass/green, silver, and silver/red work great on rainbows in lakes.

I crushed the silvers up in coffman one day last summer using a chrome/blue little cleo. I love those spoons.

Greenbutt
    Blue/Silver and Green/Silver were my favorites. Next was the Orange/Silver. They were great for working deep water off some of the breakwalls. You could cast them a long ways and they sunk down to where you needed them.

I too used to use them on the great lakes, as well as the finger lakes in NY. They were "the bomb!"

Default Used to use them...

along with Mepps #3 spinners and black/gold floating Rapalas to troll in Canada where we had a place years ago. On our very last trip there in 1986, my dad and I spent a day fishing at our place (long gone since) and he caught a 20 something lb. Northern Pike on 6 lb. test, ultra-light spinning rod, and blue/silver Little Cleo. The fish is hanging on his wall with the lure in it's mouth. I had the honor of netting that fish for him (although he was threatening me the whole time, "DON'T LOSE THAT FISH!!!") . Was a great memory of which I'm reminded everytime I go over to his place.
    Didn't think of using the Cleo's in Alaska, have to give that a try!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Greenbutt
    Blue/Silver and Green/Silver were my favorites. Next was the Orange/Silver. They were great for working deep water off some of the breakwalls. You could cast them a long ways and they sunk down to where you needed them.

Glow spoons at night worked great for Nooks.

Great jigging spoon for ice fishing. Used to buy them as a kid, they were pretty cheap compared to others. Actually caught a sheefish on one on the Koyukuk River. You'll see them advertised quite abit in Fur Fish and Game magazine.