Thread: Adding a second battery?

Default Adding a second battery?

will be adding a second battery to my 20' skiff w/ outboard. I am installing electric downriggers (2) and think the second battery will be a good idea. was looking at the blue sea systems "add a battery" switch kit, there is also the perko switches. Anyone been through the process of adding a second battery? Any advice would be appreciated. this will be one of my spring projects (adding the batteries and putting the new riggers on...)

Default second battery

I did the same thing this fall before my Yukon river trip.
    I used the perko switch and it was easy and very good quality.
    It was so nice to have both batteries charged up for when I needed to use the 12 volt window defrosters in the mornings or when it got steamed up on the windows during rain. charged up my GPS's and kept my sat phone charged up too. I installed a 3 hole accessory box, so we could all plug in our electronic toys, including my computer so we could watch a movie when stuck in the boat during bad weather.. My buddy was able to watch the Moose calling videos on the trip and it really helped him in calling and understanding the methods..
    One battery would never have done it.
    the Perko switch system is very easy to install and has good quality conections.
    Don't know about the other system, but I am sure if they have been around for a while,its because its a good functional system also.
    great Idea, and I will never have a boat or any size with out the two battery system any longer.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I went with the blue sea setup, it also includes a relay to isolate the batteries so that you can charge up both batteries via the motors alternator, but the batteries won't discharge eachother. It's fairly easy to install, just remember to add fuses to protect your wiring. From what I've been able to research, blue sea hardware has a much better reputation for holding up to the riggors of salt water than perko.

I'm also a blue sea fan, I'm on my second boat with their automatic charging relays and have been completely happy with them for 6 years now.

When running your motor the relay engages and allows the alternator to charge both the starting and house battery, when you turn your motor off the relay disengages and allows the house battery to be drawn down without touching your starting battery.

The only thing attached to my starting battery is the motor, a fuel gauge & tacometer, and the second automatic bilge pump (thats 2 inches above the other one) everything else runs off the house battery.

The one thing I've been thinking of adding is a low voltage disconnect to the house battery to protect it from being discharged completely flat and getting damaged.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Do you know who makes one?

I tried to finds a low voltage battery switch some time ago and ended up making one for my camper. It disconnected the heater and keeps the light on, so I could find out why the heater was not working. It helps to also have a LED to tell if the low voltage disconnected is activated.

Default BEP Marine

Makes one for boats

http://www.bepmarine.com/store/web/v...t=1749#details

Newmar makes one too, but I couldnt find it with a quick google search
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default TRY...

Maybe try lookin at polarwire on the southside. They should have what your loooking for.

[QUOTE=Rutting Moose;653421]Do you know who makes one?

I tried to finds a low voltage battery switch some time ago and ended up making one for my camper.

After I posted the question, I Google LVS and found a lot of information. It seam like a dumb question to have ask with all the information on Google. Maybe it was the cost of making one for < $30 or having fun doing it that made me not look at Google.

Thank for the information.

How low are you talkin?