Thread: Moose flyout help/recommendations…

Default Moose flyout help/recommendations…

Hope I’m not giving up any secrets (regarding another thread) but I would like to know about the moose-abilities of either Lake Minchumina and/or Amos Lakes--I searched the hunting forum and came up empty.My dad and his buddy want to do a flyout moose hunt (both are non-res) and I’m trying to help them find someplace to hunt. Both are about 60 and are hard workers and fit considering their age. Moose would be the priority (an animal representative of the species, not a trophy) but an incidental ‘bou would be great too. So far we’re (dad wants me to go too) looking at flying from Anchorage or Fairbanks via floatplane or wheel plane (probably a beaver). We’re looking for a drop off hunt, but a float wouldn’t be out of the question—due to increased weight considerations of a float hunt that might financially knock me out of the hunt , so a drop would be better—I think.

Is Minchumina “too accessible” since it’s a large lake and there are wheel strips around there? I’ve never been that direction but it looks like a huntable place. Are there any moose around there? Last years regs state no open season for 'bou and one bull moose for res/non-res.

Amos Lake looked doable via floatplane, but I don’t know about the moose-abilities there. Looks like its open for 'bou and s/f/50 +4 for moose. Any help or recommendations for a flyout moose hunt?

Thanks in advance and feel free to pm me if you don't want to post.

Tim

why anchorage to fbnks in a float plane, or even a beaver .... that would cost some money...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Moose

I think he said "fly from Anchorage OR Fairbanks "

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    I think he said "fly from Anchorage OR Fairbanks "
    Yep. That's what I meant.

Tim

Anyone even heard of these places?

I guess they're not popular places to hunt.

Tim