Has anyone ever put in on the Knik and gone down stream to get in the Susitna? I'm sure the tide plays alot if anyone has. Thanks!
Quicker to go out of Anchorage.....tide and wind huge factors. Know of a few that got beached with waves/outgoing tide, then to be even more swamped on the returning tide.
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger
That would be a very long trip. Your better off launching in Anchorage or if you have a decent truck launch at Goose Bay. Tide will still play a huge part.
Have done it a couple times from ANC
We have launched from the city dock, down to the mouth and up. We flew at low tide and marked it with a GPS to know the channel. Did not help the last time as we missed it about 4 feet comming out and waited 10 hours to float free. The weather and wind in the inlet can cause big waves past fire island. It is doable, go prepared, be smart.