Thread: Installing ATV Warn Winch

Default Installing ATV Warn Winch

i've got a yamaha and am putting a winch on it. is installation pretty basic?

Default yep

Yep, pretty basic on a Yamaha. Found it to be a little more time consuming on a Honda. But a Yamaha, if you know what a combination wrench is you shouldn't have any problem!! EricL

Default yep

Eric is right.
    Take the time to tightly snug down the selenoid and winch nuts with lock washers to avoid loose connections and route the wiring out of harm's way with zip strips and you'll have good success.

Also, invest in a quality bar-mounted water-proof winch switch. Its nice for plow actuation and also the grey rack mounted ones are failure prone.
    Enjoy!
    F.

Default winch mounting

Do not forget dielectric grease for 'plug-in' connections. You also might want to get some split wire loom or spiral wrap for long runs of wire. It helps to protect them.
    Even though I have the dealers install winches on our vehicles I usually remove them and tidy up the installation.

Default Be sure you don't

have a recalled winch!!!
    http://www.warn.com/atv/recall_notice.shtml
    EricL

Default Recall

I was thinking the same thing about mounting the winch. Make sure you have the correct block before you install it. I have the 8 post on my Grizzly 660 which I assume is one that is being recalled. It is in storage in my cold shed right now and as far as I understand it you must remove the terminal block to read the number on the mounting surface to determine if it is a recall version. I am also assuming that the dealer isn't reinstalling it but only replacing the item is this correct?

One thing I did was to take all the cable out and lock tight the the screw that holds the cable on, I had two back out on me before, not fun to have that I happen I can tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about mounting the winch. Make sure you have the correct block before you install it. I have the 8 post on my Grizzly 660 which I assume is one that is being recalled. It is in storage in my cold shed right now and as far as I understand it you must remove the terminal block to read the number on the mounting surface to determine if it is a recall version. I am also assuming that the dealer isn't reinstalling it but only replacing the item is this correct?

My Griz is in hibernation also. Just go to WARN's site online and fill out a form. You don't need the number of the controller. Just the winch model and the month and year you bought it. Put in your quads vin and some other info and they'll send you the new controller. I got my new controller last week. It'll sit in the basement until spring. No biggie to replace. The mounting holes are spaced the same as the 8 poster. Posts are color coded. Just a simple swap out.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again