Thread: Twin 115 on 22' weldcraft??

Default Twin 115 on 22' weldcraft??

I was wondering if anyone has any input on putting twin 115's on a 22' weldcraft oceanking? I was looking at upgrading to a 225 but the cost of just adding another 115 is worth looking at. If anyone has any cons of the twin setup I would like to hear them. Thanks.
    Weldcraft Oceanking 220

Default Twins

My twin 115's sit on a 22' Northriver and run her well, the theory being if one stops working then you still have one.
    Several caveats come to mind however, ideally I would want seperate fuel tanks/water-filters for each as that's the number one reason for engine failure IME. I only have a single tank/filter and haven't had a problem yet, but I'm guessing it is just a matter of time. Weight of twins vs a single can be significant as well as maintenace costs. Torque steer is likely without a counter rotating setup.
    Last thing is will the single 115 get the boat on plane?

Just some things to consider.

Smile think about this...

I think most of us get twins because we will have another big engine to get us home if one craps out. Also, once you get used to it docking might be easier in a crowded or windy area. As to whether it gets you up on step I think maybe to much emphasis is put on this. Oh it would be nice if it would but think on this. Will the kicker you have as a back up to your big single get you up on step? If you are in the middle of the big pond and it is rough are you going to pull out a spare part and repair it? Which one would you rather fall back on in rough seas and/or a running tide. Weight considerations, fuel consumption, cost, etc. are all cosiderations. In 2007 I was running my 26" Alaska Sea Runner with twin 115 Yamahaws past Galena and and the water pump went out on one of the motors. I could have made it 330 miles to the Yukon River Bridge on the other motor. I could still go up stream. Yeah, it would have been a slow trip to the bridge, but, try that with a kicker. I putted to Galena and replaced the water pump.

Decision made.... Going with twin 115's. Now what pitch props will I need? I was looking at the yamaha website and it says 19 pitch for a 24' with no load on it. I think that mine fully loaded down with gear and people will be close if not heavier than the 24' they tested. Any thoughts? Also, my father owns the 26' and it has 17 pitch on it with twin 115's. His boat only hits about 5400 rpm. I was wondering if he needs to drop down to 15's?

Thanks..
    Weldcraft Oceanking 220

Got twins on.... now I need to get the right props and try it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Weldcraft Oceanking 220

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    Decision made.... Going with twin 115's. Now what pitch props will I need? I was looking at the yamaha website and it says 19 pitch for a 24' with no load on it. I think that mine fully loaded down with gear and people will be close if not heavier than the 24' they tested. Any thoughts? Also, my father owns the 26' and it has 17 pitch on it with twin 115's. His boat only hits about 5400 rpm. I was wondering if he needs to drop down to 15's?

Thanks..
    I had a 24 hewes with twin F100's. I was running 19 pitch solas stainless 3-blades and would hit 5700-5800rpm. I think that the 19 would be a great starting point. Personally I like to see at least 5800. Anything below 5500 and you are lugging the motors IMO.

Is your father running 3 or 4 blades? He needs to drop down a couple inches in pitch, I think. Personally, I like what the 4-blades offer. Better hole shot, additional stern lift, better handling around the dock, and better cruising economy. I also found that overall performance was better with stainless. This, of course, has just been my experience.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.