Thread: Baikal 22. over .410 problem

Default Baikal 22. over .410 problem

So I bought one of these contraptions last year and I ran a couple hundred .22LR's through without a hiccup and test fired the .410 once and all was good. So yesterday we decide to bust some clays behind the house and I figure I'll get this puppy out and get some practice with it. Missfire after missfire and then boom! Light primer strikes on the .410 side of things.
    Anyone know where to get parts for these? I'm thinking firing pin is off a bit, or broke the tip off?
    I need to tear it down and see, just wondering if anyone can lend some advice etc. I was going to go after some spruce hens with this gun... back to the 10/22 in the meantime I guess.

Thanks!

Mountaintrekker

Default parts for 410/22 remington / baikal

I really like mine. never having owned a 410, i was shocked at how well they can kill. this gun points well for me. anyway, i broke my front sight off....called remington and they referred me to European American Armory, called them, and after two, three months had my front sight back. good luck...maybe it is a heavily greased spring or firing pin?

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer View Post
    ...maybe it is a heavily greased spring or firing pin?
    Without knowing the gun, that would be my guess too. Were the initial (successful) firings in warmer weather?

I will add that I've got a Baikal 20 gauge SxS, and it arrived with more heavy, gooey grease than any gun I've ever seen. And yeah. When I pulled off the butt stock, the action had more grease packed into it than a cheap fishing reel. Absolutely flawless function now, but I'm betting if I'd taken it out in cold weather, I'd have been cursing the Baikal/Remington marriage.

Several possibilities, grease, as mentioned. Broken/short firing pin. Chamber too deep/excessive headspace. Failure to fully cock hammer, hammer falling from half cock/safety notch if there is one. Foreign material like a loose wood splinter interfering with the strike.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

HHMMMM...

Well, I took the stock off and sprayed some break cleaner in there and worked the firing pin back and forth with a punch. Dried it all and used some EEZOX to lube everything down again. Worked the firing pin a bit more (looks like plenty is visible when I push) and put her back together.

Went outside and the first couple of rounds were fine and then a missfire again and again and again! The hammer seems to be falling from the proper location and the spring is pretty tight. The machining of the firing pins leaves alot to be desired in my opinion.
    Kind of frustrated... anymore ideas?

Mountaintrekker

Take the barrel off and drop a round in the chamber to check headspace. The back of the round should be almost level with the back of the chamber. It should not be more than .002 or .003 inches down from level. Also check between the firing pin shoulder and what it stops against and make sure there is no grease, crud or anything else there. Anything,even soft stuff, in that area can cause a soft strike. Check to make sure the firing pin moves easily front and back and is not bent and rubbing. Just guessing but it's something to look for.