Thread: Rebarrel or buy new?

Default Rebarrel or buy new?

I currently shoot a Browning A-Bolt stainless steel with a synthetic stock in a .300WSM. I am looking to put a Hart bull barrel on my rifle with a laminated stock that has the thumb hole. I priced the barrel and everything said and done is around $800 plus the cost of the stock I decide to go with. Then i started looking at the Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse in the .300WSM which sales for just over $1,300. This gun comes with the Browning factory bull barrel and the type of stock I want. Now I am having trouble deciding on wether to sell my gun and just buy the eclipse or do the work to the gun i currently use. I guess my real question would be is the Hart bull barrel that much better than the factory Browning bull barrel that comes on the eclipse??? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Anytime you start throwing alot of money at a gun its never worth it. Its just fun.

Its always cheaper to buy a different model or look for a custom that someone else already built and doesnt want anymore.

It all depends on what you want.

That being said I think I may have one rifle that hasnt seen the insided of a smith's shop. All of my other rifles and some handguns have spent time in the shop for upgrades.

I've never used Hart bbl's before but they have a good reputations.

Thumbs up Hart!!

I'm not a browning guy, what is the grouping on the new model your looking at. Hart is well know for there 500yrd guns. If factory guns were that good Hart wouldn't be in business. I would go with the Hart set up, get the barrel and glass bed the stock then later do the trigger and have a deadly piece. Good Luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The thing is, if you sell your current rifle and buy the Eclipse, then you have a nice gun that others also have.

If you customize your current rifle, then you have a CUSTOM rig that is your own. YOU decided what is one it. YOU decided how it looks. YOU made it.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

I am all for putting on a new barrel. The reason is, you make it yours, the action is broke in, everyone deserves one gun that is just "Theirs". You spend the money, this is true, however I never saw a Hearse that pulled a U-Haul. Just my 2 cents.

I have also found out that Browning may use Hart barrels on their custom rifles. In that case it would be cheaper to sell mine and buy the eclipse. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

Call Hart and Ask. I checked out the eclipse, that is a nice looking gun but HEAVY!! I am sure a Hart set up would lighten the load alot, they also make muzzle brakes plus you can get a barrel from Hart in stainless. For me the only gun to buy would be stainless with composite stock and light.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Hart's Gunsmithing

Hart trues up the action and threads the action right the first time. I think that they have a manufacturing center for barrels and a separate-but in the family- gunsmithing operation that sets up the gun right. It is a great deal for what you get. I want to do it for an old push feed model 70 that I have and would seek to rechamber it to 264 win mag. However, I have too many projects going on right now.

I think that Hart's gunsmithing operation might do a bit better job than FNs though I like FNs operation and Browning as well.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

One other thing that may or may not apply. I am not a gun smith but have heard that many do not like to work on A-bolts as the barrels can be hard to get off and the stainless ones have a reputation for the threads galling and striping out when unscrewed. Just what I have heard, not seen or done.

That said a good smith truing the receive, chambering a top notch barrel like the Hart, and bedding to the stock; is going to result in a very good rifle, as good or better then any none custom shop, factory offering.