Thread: Tennis Balls

Default Tennis Balls

perhaps this is a stupid question but I've go to ask....

Murdock just discovered tennis balls the other day at a friends house and he loves to play with them....is there any reason I shouldn't play fetch with them? Is there a reason to only use bumpers?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I knew a guy years ago who lost his St Bernard to a tennis ball. The poor thing accidentally swallowed it and choked to death. Lots of dogs play with them w/ out issue but they can get torn up and eaten by a determined pup. As far as a training reason why it wouldn't be a good idea I honestly have no idea.

I had a tennis ball dog...(my first retriever some 25 yrs ago)...I learned with him to really limit the use of tennis balls with my future dogs...He liked to retrieve bumpers, but not in the same way he like to retrieve tennis balls....

A tennis ball to retrieve every once in a while is no big deal...balance in all things.

I currently do not have any tennis balls for my dog, and don't plan on having any around in the near future...

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if it is rubber or other toy is soft enough to get a tooth into... EVEN A little.. my chessy shreds it in no time..

pretty sure he could eat a spare tire at this rate
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My boxer can pop and destroy a tennis ball in under a minute. Only thing she can have is the hard rubber "kong" toys. Even the tennis ball type kong toys are no match. Xmas present lasted about 1 day. (yes, she gets presents just like the kid)
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffboots View Post
    .He liked to retrieve bumpers, but not in the same way he like to retrieve tennis balls....
    this is what I was getting at...I noticed that although Mudock is really deveoping a strong drive to retrieve anything I throw, He seems to step it up a notch when I throw a tennis ball.....something about them he really really enjoys.....sounds like I should just stick to the bumpers and birds....
    pull my finger....

Mike Stewart, the owner of wildrose kennels uses tennis balls during his training sessions. He'll put several tennis balls in a trash bag...zip lock...etc full of feathers and lets the tennis balls collect the scent of the bird. Then he'll toss the tennis ball in some cover and teach the dog to use it's nose...during this he'll introduce the "find it" command or whatever you decide.

Once the dog has advanced he'll have a partner cover the eyes of the dog and he'll sling a tennis ball (using one of those toys...dont know the name of it) low to the ground. He'll then send the dog while using the command to find it.

From my experiences with retrievers and tennis balls I completely refrain from using tennis balls. I've had two labs that became tennis ball fanatics to the point that every minute of everyday they want a tennis ball thrown for them. I would think that limited use of tennis balls wouldn't hurt, but I don't risk it now.

WhiteFish

I have always had two approaches when I trained my dogs. One was play time, the other was training time. The dog knew when the bumpers came out, it was training time and time to get down to business. I used lots of "toys" (including tennis balls) during play time around the house.

I found this approach very useful with my dogs.
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

Richie is dead on from my experince..

My GSP ,,is completely nuts over tennis balls,I am always amazed at the places she finds them..
    They have been a very positive and effective training aid..
    especially when they don't see where they land and have to sniff em out..
    And was a great aid in teaching her to fetch to hand..

Smile

tjm ,, I can't help but laugh every time i look at your avatar..

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    tjm ,, I can't help but laugh every time i look at your avatar..
    my son and I have the same problem...
    pull my finger....

Thumbs up Pup Pic

Center pic of the pup on http://www.skyviewchesapeakes.com/hitchbreedings.html is so cool!

Lucky dog lover somewhere got that little guy... probably big now!

1 degree F in TOK today - is that for real? Heat wave!

Thanks for sharing Juli.

Our weather this yr has been phenomenally warm... I am waiting for the onslaught of cold to kick our butts back into reality. LOL.....

I guess I do feel pretty lucky ...that puppy is my boy, Hitch. (as are the other two pix... ) Hopefully in not too long I'll be able to put pictures of one or two of HIS puppies on there.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!