Thread: fluorocarbon Tippet

Default fluorocarbon Tippet

Has anyone had any problem with Rio's fluorocarbon tippets. The clinch knots I have been tying on them are breaking. Maybe a different knot like a Palomar knot would work? Also what knots do you use to tie fluro to mono tippet?

Are multiple tippets breaking at the knot or just one? I've had this trouble before but it just turned out to be a bad tippet or a bad lot of tippets. Went back to the store, bought some more, and was good to go. I use a polomar knot with heavier mono and braided lines. Never really used it with smaller diameter mono or flouro, but it is said to have 95% knot strength, might be worth a try.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Get some Super Sniper from Sunline. You will never have a problem again. You can get it online or Troutfitters has it.

Default Seaguar

I think that's the name. It's spendy, but works every time. I even have a couple of spools that are two years old and still haven't lost their strength. Worldwide Anglers in Anchorage usually has a good selection of it.

There's a trick to tying floro to mono. If you match the diameters, you can get away with a blood knot. But if the floro is smaller, go with a double surgeon. Whichever you use, be very sure to wet the knot before tightening.

As for the terminal knot, I use a Uni knot. Wet that one, too.

I use maxxima mono for the main body of the leader and then use a double surgeons or double duncan to attach the fluro and have had no problems for years. As for fluro I like Seagur the most and Rio second.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Default Seaguar flourocarbon

Seaguar flourocarbon is a exceptionally good product. Excellent tensile strength, smaller diameter and abrasion resistant and knots well with most leader material.

http://www.netknots.com/html/trilene_knot.html
    http://www.netknots.com/html/non_slip_loop_knot.html
    http://www.netknots.com/html/seaguar_knot.html

your welcome.

Your problem is probably related to not wetting your knots before cinching, the Rio tippet and leaders are good quality products. Make sure when tying flouro that your wet all of your knots before cinching.

Default +1 for Seaguar flourocarbon...

which Dennis McAfee first told me about a few years ago. But Frog's Hair is fine too...and I've used a lot of Rio fc. Among better brands, I bet the differences are small if any and I never had a problem with those brands. In more general terms, the story about fluorocarbon in my view is... after listening to the physics (refractive index), you commit to believing (and paying the $5 or more differential per spool), or ignoring it as hype. If you believe that the physics matter (fly fishers without fluorocarbon can outfish ff with fc...NOT that I have any personal experience with my mono-fishing buddy Steve P on that one), then don't quibble about the few dollars per spool...

But sometimes, I think maybe you can buy from a bad batch regardless of manufacturer. Several years ago, I had the very same problem with Maxima, several spools bought from the same fishing/hunting/gun/camping store. Don't know if it was a bad lot, or neglected in the sun or what. Lots of ff swear by Maxima, but I was mostly swearing at Maxima.

Surgeon's Knot ... quick and sure for me. I vote, it's not your knot. Try another brand or batch and see. I now try to buy from fly shops, figuring they move a lot more tippet material and so, aren't going to be showing too much of last years... or the year before that... inventory.
    Good luck!

I agree that you may have just got a bad spool. You never know if the line is old or got set by a heater in transit or something else that diminished the strength of the line. A couple times over the years I've ended up with bad fluoro tippet or line that would break at the knot. I always wet my knot, and I tried the uni-knot, improved clinch, palomar... it didn't matter. I kept breaking off at the knot. After much cussing and frustration I wrote it off as bad line, threw it away, and got another spool (from another dealer or another brand in case a bad lot got shipped out).

I usually go with the surgeon's knot for joinging fluoro to mono. Fast and effective.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Knots

This is just a good website for learning to tie knots, some works better in some cases than others. Have fun!

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

I've also had bad luck with Rio tippet. I started using Umpqua and have had no problems.

I wish they'd date the stuff, because it sure seems to have a limited shelf life- much worse than mono. Just to show what I mean, I've usually had the best luck with Rio and the worst with Umpqua. I bet a lot depends on how fast the stores turn it around, and maybe whether they've got it sitting in the sun or not. I'm careful to store it in the dark and carry it in my vest pocket out of the sun.

Default Might be quirky, but seems to offer worthwhile advantage...

Fluorocarbon tippet might be quirky, but if it required much special handling, would become high maintenance for me. Give me a chance to try Maxima again.

For now, I'll keep fishing FC just because the fish that see your tippet just won't bother. For a special trip, a fly out or similar big, remote fly fishing trip, I'd definitely try out my supply of tippet before depending on it after the float plane leaves- in case I had a bad spool. But I've bought and fished a lot of spools of FC tippet without problems...several brands.

Good luck this season.

Default super snipe

i can vouche for that super snipe as it is the ONLY thing i will use now. I used to use rio. Just got sick of the memory in the line when tying my hooks on. I fished all week last year with 1 tippet during fishapalooza and had no problems. World wide in town also carries it (FINALLY) and at a cheaper price than trout fitters.
    Go Fish

Super Sniper is all use for big bows. Never had a problem at all. What sold me was two years ago floating the Little Willow and I snagged a log. 6lb sniper stopped the raft in the current and held us like an anchor. When I tried two break the line, my size 2 hook bent straight! Later that day while trout fishing, I hooked and landed a 35 lb king on a 6wt and 6lb sniper. I was sold!