Thread: First Bow Harvest

Default First Bow Harvest

First harvest of my budding archery career. The lesson learned is -- practice at 10 yards. I can hit a rabbit head sized target 4 out of 5 times at 20 yards and 3 out of 5 at 30 yards. However I was 1 for 5 at 10 yards out in the field.

I was also surprised that the arrow passed through the hare with the little springy armed tips on it. I figured it would leave a deep dent and flip the arrow over. Lesson number 2 -- digging arrows out of 4 feet of snow sucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Congrats on the hunt. Its always fun to hunt small game with a bow if the weather is not too bitter. If your only shooting 5 yards, go to a fishing set up and reel them in All kidding aside, when I use to do small game with a bow back in the day, I always prefered blunts to the judo tips and used bright pink or hunter orange colored vanes and knocks. Much easier to find. A few fluflu arrows with a birdcage tip were always in the quiver also.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

glad ya had fun.. gonna agree with chico on the Blunts over judo tips..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up Excellent...

Good on ya. You have to start somewhere, right? Yah, I have found that those Judo points will blow through bunnies, grouse, and even feral cats with compound's over 60#. Big rubber blunts do alright (flight wise) out to 15-20 yds and they knock the crap (sometimes literally) out of bunnies without blowing through them (providing that you hit bones). Keep it up.

Default Blunts

Its been over 20 years since I shot anything with a bow. I used to hunt with a 55 lb Howatt recurve and a blunt would not stop a rabbit. They would flip around and run off. I went to a cheap broadhead and solved that problem. I think with todays fast shooting compounds that a blunt would be ok.

...Awesome!

-this made my night...

-ps...-did you make a rabbit sandwich??

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ...Awesome!

-this made my night...

-ps...-did you make a rabbit sandwich??
    Stir fry. It's the only way to go for rabbit in my house.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

in good HARE years it is a blast chasing them with a bow. lots of shots. been 8-10 years since i've chased them numbers seem to be back in some areas.
    steel blunts with washer or other small game head attachment ( can't recall name of it) work well. i prefer to use my rercurve.

CONGRATS
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    in good HARE years it is a blast chasing them with a bow. lots of shots. been 8-10 years since i've chased them numbers seem to be back in some areas.
    steel blunts with washer or other small game head attachment ( can't recall name of it) work well. i prefer to use my rercurve.

CONGRATS

I think the small game head you might be talking about is called a game stopper. It has about a 3/4' swath and dull cutting edge that is inverted. Used one once on turkey. Big mistake. If I ever go to the lower 48 again and turkey hunt I will use a broadhead. They work fine on rabbits, and smaller birds.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...14000_400-14-7

Default Great job!

Now hit the haul road for a bou. I use judo's for all my small game, no plan to change. My first bow harvest was a grouse. At the shorter distance you have to use your 30-40 pin. That is, if you have them.

Sweet! I have lots of bow harvests from the lower 48 but nothing up here yet. I need to get out and try some bunnies! So far though my only bowhunt up here was grizzly bears at my cabin on a salmon stream. Should have had one, but the peep site tube broke right before I took the shot. The fletching caught the dangling rubber tube and lets just say things got a little interesting for a few minutes after that..... This year I will have one though!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page