Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06

Default 30-06

I hear lot's of bad vibes on it,for AK hunting ...but why?Killed Many big game in the lower 48.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cabin View Post
    I hear lot's of bad vibes on it,for AK hunting ...but why?Killed Many big game in the lower 48.

Thanks
    I can explain it with one word, IGNORANCE.

I chose the 06 many years ago because it is a can do cartridge with tons of reloading options and I won't need to take out a loan to by shells for it. Every gas station and hardware store that sells ammo as 30.06. I've always downed whatever I shot with mine, never an issue.

Mountaintrekker

Default Phil Shoemaker

Phil used one to stop a huge brown bear at 20 feet. I bet that and the new introduction of the Kimber 84L will make the 06 the most popular caliber this year. He normally posts on 24hr and Accuratereloading.

I wouldn't worry about it. I believe he found that the 06 with 220 grain bullets was getting better penetration than 375HH in 270 grain bullets.
    He is writing an article on the guns of Alaskan guides and you can bet at an 06 is in there.

Whenever somebody gives you grief about 06 say Bob Reeve killed King Kong with it.
    They, if they have seen pictures of it, will shut up.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

It was king for many, many years. Then manufacturers began producing other calibers with more punch. It's not that the venerable '06 is inadequate, it's just typical American thirst for more power.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    It was king for many, many years. Then manufacturers began producing other calibers with more punch. It's not that the venerable '06 is inadequate, it's just typical American thirst for more power.
    Just like everything else; bigger and faster. 4-wheelers, snowmachines, etc.
    Nothing wrong with that, but it borders on the ridiculous at times, because there is no end to it.

What is it that Stranger says... "If you can't kill it with a .30.06....."

Yeah, I like his quote. There is something to be said for having adequate stopping power for an emergency though. If I were a target for a grizz, I can think of quite a number of guns I'd rather be holding than an '06. But for hunting purposes, it is entirely adequate.

"If you can't kill it with an '06, go back to the range". How about that one?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default 30/06

I like the 06, and Shoemaker is the real deal... but the 06 out penetrating a 375?? I would have to see that.

Thanks
    Hear bad vibes on it from where? The L48? Low orbit around skAnchorage?

More critters probably drop dead in front .30-06s than anything else. It's the largest caliber you'll commonly find in the villages.

Magnums are more of an urban/road system phenomenon.
    Now what ?

The reason i dont like my 06 is it makes it hard to buy other rifles as the 06 can pretty much do it all. For AK the only other i might have is a .338 for the big toothy's with an attitude problem. other than that my 06 will do just fine on just about everything else. So many times bad hits will be blamed on the gun rather than the shooter. A moose is gut shot with an 06 and not recoverd. Of course the shooter claims a solid double lung shot and then cusses his rifle as being to small. He then goes out and buys a bigger rifle. That causes him to flinch so his accuracy is crap. Its about where you put the bullet that what caliber the bullet is.

Take a look at what Frank Glasner did for almost 30+ years. He had an affinity for little cartridges. The 220 swift, .257 Roberts, 250-3000 Savage, hardly Big Game calibers. According to his biography, he killed over 300 bears in his lifetime. He had a number of DLP's too. He loved guns and as few of that era could, he had the disposable income to buy the latest and greatest. However, he always feel back to the '06.

Default Why the 375 over the 06?

When I'm crawling around the bush my irrational fear of bears stays in check!

Grew up using the '06 and continue to use it at times, heck, it dropped a moose in its tracks at 250y last fall.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Thanks
    It's currently 3rd at 21% in the AOD poll... I'd hardly call that a bad vibe. I suspect that in reality among all hunters it is used much more than that poll even indicates.

The '06 is a good choice in a market chock full of good choices. Its been my choice in the past and will likely be something I choose again in the future. Although I don't shoot one currently it isn't out of any bad feelings about it.

Ya know guys, it's allrelative dont ya think? The .308 Win, 30-06, 300 WSM, 300 WM, etc., all shoot the same .30 cal bullets. One shoots a little slower or faster than another. A 300 WM that shoots 180 gr bullet 3000 fps, @150 yds is the same as an .06 that shoots the same bullet @ 2700 fps point blank. And if you load a 30-06 with RL17, it becomes very close to the traditional WM and WSM loads. It's all relative and I think it's great that we have so many choices to suit our own preferences. The .06 is a great cartridge and I'm guessing it'll probably be around for a few more years... just a guess though I think in the last year or two I've seen a lot more threads on the 300 WSM than the .06 so ya never know....

Now if you wanna go chasing 1500 lb bears with an .06, please don't let me stop you. As for me... I'll reach for a 300 Mag or bigger

Have a great Alaskan day and dont fret too much

I suspect that the only American cartridge that has killed more animals than the '06 may be the 30-30. Not surprisingly, you'll find plenty of both in Alaska...especially the farther you get away from Anchorage and among those who have lived here for more than a couple years. Newcomers always seem to think they need some kind of magnum. I guess if that's what it takes to make you feel comfortable....
    Besides the fact that you can get '06 ammo literally anywhere, it is also a cartridge that virtually anyone can shoot well. I got my first one when I was 12, and had been shooting my dad's for many years before that.
    When I take my son hunting he carries a 30-30, and, as often as not, I'm carrying an '06.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default Phil Shoemaker's stopper

"Phil used one to stop a huge brown bear at 20 feet. I bet that and the new introduction of the Kimber 84L will make the 06 the most popular caliber this year. He normally posts on 24hr and Accuratereloading"

The above is absolutely correct. It is also true that shortly after this incident Phil built "Ole Ugly" which as I recall is a 458 WM on a Mauser platform. When asked why the change from his old reliable "06, his reply was that in essence he came too close to being "et" by the bear and therefore wanted something with a bit more stopping authority - this was many years ago. As a bear guide Phil will have more experience in one year with "antagonized bears" than most of us will have in a life time. I think his reasoning is irrefutable. An '06 will work 95%+ of the time...but I personally don't want to experience the other 5%, coupled with the fact that I don't know WHEN that 5% is going to occur. As you can prob tell...I'm not much of a gambler and prefer to keep my anatomy in it's original configuration as long as possible. It's a personal choice and I go with "more authority" rather that less, even tho less works ALMOST ALL THE time. Of course it goes without saying bullet placement is paramount, but be that as it may, more is still better than less when dealing with Mr. Brown, esp'ly when he is having a bad day and you appear to be the etiology of his displeasure. For hunting Alaskan wildlife other than grix/BB the '06 is more than adequate IMO.

Thanks
    Your listening to those who are;
    A) Mis-Informed
    B) Have never killed any game
    C) Have only seen Magnums that come with corks
    D) Have never been "Up North"
    E) All the above

Sorry thats all I had time for.

Default Phil's 06 Thread....

Phil has switched back to a Lon Paul Custom 30/06. This is a thread about best gun for Alaska from Accurate Reloading.
    I never owned a 30/06 but now own two and I really don't feel undergunned. I have shot lots of stuff with a 788 22-250 from my snowmachine when I was in the Arctic. Its my view that you need to place the bullet right.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...1701060911/p/1

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default ...the rest of Phil's thread:

"Chris, The rifle is my FN actioned 30-06 that Lon Paul re-built with a stainless steel Danny Peterson barrel, Jerry Fisher bottom metal and re-stocked. It is reminiscent of many of the early custom Springfield and Mauser sporters carried by so many of the early Alaskan guides.
    It works just as well too.
    It is not meant to be a permanent replacement for Ole Ugly though"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast