Thread: Need .17HMR bullet results on game & scope choice

Default Need .17HMR bullet results on game & scope choice

I have picked up the Hornady 17gr red tipped bullets V-Max, 150rnds. Plus 50 CCI Full metal jacket. I hear the Hornady V-max leave really large exit wounds, is that true? I have seen some CCI Explode or something, so I would assume those pretty destroy what they hit. I will hopefully have my own result tests soon. Till then just curious.

Plus I am looking at the Leupold rimfire scope to put atop my Henry .17hmr varmit express. Is there any sightron scope dealers in town? Is the Leupold rimfire good for the .17hmr=paralax free for long enough ranges?

I shot 2 foxes several years back with the 17 gr. poly tip. 30 yards in broadside trot and 80 yards at a quartering in trot, both instantly collapsed.

If I would have had that gun when I was 12, the grounghogs back home would now be on the protected list.

As far as scopes go, I have had good luck with the BSA Air Gun Scope. 2x-7x with adjustable parallax. I know this choice will draw howls but it works for me.

Good luck.

Default .17 hmr

I've shot a lot of bullets with mine and pretty much only use the full metal jacket bullets anymore. I have a 3x9x40 nikon on my HMR. Works great. There are some other scopes that are made specifically for the .17, but the lack of quality keeps me from putting one on.

I've shot quite a few bullets types with mine. The ones that shoot best for me are the Hornaday 17gr ballistic tips. For a scope I currently have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50 on it. I had a Zeiss 3x9 on it but found I prefer the extra magnification while dialing it in at the range. These guns leave very tiny holes in the paper.

couple of no exits on fox, and have a friend in southern Illinois that has wacked several coyotes with them.

Burris has a deal where you get a rifle scope and rimfire scope for $239. Or a leupold 2-7 VX II at $299. Will keep shopping I guess and do some more research-read reviews.

Same here with the .17hmr scopes, low quality and heavy. The leupold rimfire scope is light and short. Which would look very nice on the lever gun.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Gun is not in my hands yet so I have not got all excited about a scope yet, but looking and checking out the quality and such.

Default Check out the

Mueller line of scopes. They are excellent. I have three of them. I have one on my Marlin 917V (8-25), I have one on my 22-250 and I just put one on my Rock River Varmint. They are very reasonably priced and excellent quality. I have always been a Leupold guy and have them but these are a very good alternative. I have turned on many friends to them and they have raved about them. www.muelleroptics.com.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I also gave Mueller scopes a try about a year ago and so far so good. I had my doubts at first because it seemed like a lot of scope for the money, but I put one on my 35 Whelen and no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Mueller line of scopes. They are excellent. I have three of them. I have one on my Marlin 917V (8-25), I have one on my 22-250 and I just put one on my Rock River Varmint. They are very reasonably priced and excellent quality. I have always been a Leupold guy and have them but these are a very good alternative. I have turned on many friends to them and they have raved about them. www.muelleroptics.com.

I have the leupold rimfire scope on my .17. So far I like it. Please post up on your experiences with the Henry! I'm getting the itch to try one...

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I have the leupold rimfire scope on my .17. So far I like it. Please post up on your experiences with the Henry! I'm getting the itch to try one...

So far pretty sweet!! Don't look at them you'll buy one! Gun Runners and MVS quoted same price, $450 delivered. I went to go gun runners. Found about MVS later. Waiting for my scope mount arrive that wasn't in the box. Then will get the scope you have. Light, short and should look like it fits the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    So far pretty sweet!! Don't look at them you'll buy one!

I was afraid you'd say that! Bout got my next purchase figured out Glock 29 or the Henry

Nobody in town had the Henry Varmit Express in stock. If in town you could maybe pop in sometime and check mine out. With the high check comb it fits me very well. Looking forward to scoping it, till the cantelevered mount arrives I might try and put in a fiber optic for the front site. The make them with red up front and green in the back. Red is dull and the green is so bright, hard to focus. Shoud be the other way around.
    My gun came very dirty! Like unbelievable dirty!! Carpet fibers all over it. Huge dust bunnies. Nice layer of dust all over it. Dirt in the screws on the barrel band. Plus dirt on the end of the rubber butt pad around the emblem. It was sealed in the wax paper too like they show on the commercials. It cleaned up nice though. A few blemishes on the aluminum reciever. I complained a little bit to Gunrunners when I opened the box.
    So far it appears it should be a good shooter. Was shooting ping pong balls this weekend at 25 snow shoe paces. Sight need adjusted but even on the target they were all grouping nice with the 3 different bullet types.
    I did shoot a squirel with it, which a magpie or raven shredded. But it took half the head with the Vmax bullet and opened up the neck like a butterflied pork chop to the shoulders! I should have thrown in my vest, but the thing was all bloody and left in my snowshoe trail.
    Checking out scopes, it appears the luepy rimfire is it. Light, short and says quality and componets are of VX II quality. The selling factor is it's wieght and length. 9" and just over 8oz. Most other scopes are about twice as heavy and 5+" longer.
    Waiting for the mag. tube swives to come in at MVS. Then once scoped, it will be sweet rifle. Now if those rabbits would only sit still! I swear they know I don't have benelli with me anymore but seeing fresh wolf tracks for the first time was cool. Nice clear sunny day, little cold, but a good day afield last saturday for sure.

What do you know about a mueller scope????????????/
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-03-2010 at 07:53. Reason: language