Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you carry for a pack gun?

Default What do you carry for a pack gun?

Specifically, I'm wondering what my fellow Alaskan's carry in their Bug Out Bag or as a pack gun when out in the bush.
    This is a topic I've wrestled with for years... .22LR, combo guns, shotgun etc. when I'm not out actively hunting a particular animal, what to bring? I know it depends on location and duration, I just wanted to get some responses.
    No right or wrong answers here, just some peoples choices and reasons behind them.

Mountaintrekker

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

generally if i am not hunting or seasons are closed.. i do not carry a gun out...

if i do it will be for what quarry i am allowed to harvest. be it small game or large..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

I've almost always got a 22 close by. Normally not on me but in my backpack or the saddle bag of my wheeler.

For hiking I prefer to have my 45 colt on me.

If I'm in the woods between March and November, I'm carrying my .500. The other months I'm content with my S&W 1006. If I'm actually hunting, I carry the appropriate long-arm as well.

When out and about, I am almost always carrying a .44 Mag. It just makes me feel safe...er. However, when hunting I just carry the 30.06

I almost always have my Ruger MKII and or my Ruger Redhawk .44 mag
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

I'm kind of short on small guns, but I'll eventually get a rimfire handgun of some kind to carry when the big guys are sleeping, 460 when they're awake.

I like the idea of having a rimfire handy all the time, since in many areas small game are open year-round. There's always room in my skillet for bunnies or birds.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default depends...

If it is not winter and I am out for a walk in the woods and it is not hunting season I usually sling the Marlin 1895 in caliber 45-70. It has a 20" barrel, holds 6 rounds in the magazine, has the XS Ghost Ring sight on the rear and their white stripped post sight on the front. During moose season I carry a Mod. 70 in caliber .338 Win. Mag. I have an old S&W J Frame .22 I can strap on or throw in a pack if the urge strikes me. Lots of choices as you will see by the responses. Something to remember is most Alaskan big game is shot well under 200 yards, as it should be.

Rock River LAR-6

Default Marlin/Ruger

45-70 guide gun modified by WWG when bears are awake and Ruger mini 14 modified by Accuracy Systems in the winter...if I had to choose between the two it would be the modified Mini by Accuracy Systems
    In the Bush

Default Ruger...

...Single-Six w/22 mag most often, in bearish places a S&W 329PD in 44 mag.

v/r

salcha star road

Well, two questions answered with two answers...

For a bug out bag rifle, I have an SKS paratrooper carbine with a folding stock, and a 38 rnd detatchable magazine. My bag is a large MOLLE pack, and it fits very nicely inside. When I used to crew on helicopters for the national guard up here, I carried it as my survival pack (rifle included). I figure while the 7.62x39 is a poor choice for any given discipline for hunting or DLP in Alaska, it's an excellent compromise for power, being semi-auto, cheap if something happens to it, and portable.

Now, as a general pack gun in the bush, you will not find my anywhere off the paved road without my Browning Buckmark .22 Camper. So far, on quick reaction, chance encounters, it has scored my 4 spruce hens, and provided impromtu dinners for trips out to the cabin. I love that little thing, and can pull off a neck shot on a hen at 15 yards away.

Call me paranoid, but I also have a few Mossberg 500 and 590 shotguns which decorate the floorboards of my truck, the back of my Rhino, and next to the door of my cabin. None of these are ever very far from me.

Default Smith & Wesson 629 Trail Boss

.44 Mag 3" barrel

More important than the hardware is the loads. I load a 270gr flat nose soft lead bullet with a max dosage of IMR 4227 so the bullet just clears the cylinder and the barrel.

Very hot load, in fact so hot the fireball the 3" barrel produces would inflict as much damage as the impact of the bullet at the range the gun is intended for.

loaded up hot a 44 mag is still hard to beat. They're not a huge and bulky. like a broadswoard vs a katana, the X frame carry an impressive round, but are not fun to pack nor easily consealed like an N frame with a short barrel.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default Light and powerfull

If I'm hunting I carry a game specific gun, Shotgun for birds,270 win. for sheep, rimfire for hare, etc. If I am just hiking or fishing in the summer and I am in bear country I will take my S&W .41 mag air light. Light enough that you don't notice it and just a small bump down from the .44 in power. S&W makes the same gun in .44 mag as well.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Either a .44 or a .45, depending on my mood.

Default there was a thread a while back

You might enjoy, this .
    man kills bear in self defense with a 454 casall.
    no warning just a twig crack at 20 yards.

Default ...its like a woman and her shoes...

-When backpacking and not hunting....357 Mag S&W wheel gun, 686+.
    -When backpacking and hunting...Kimber in .338 Fed in hands, .357 Mag in pack.
    -When hunting out of a base camp...Marlin .45-70 lever action in camp, fav hunting rifle for species outside of camp.
    -When day hunting for short deer trips...Marlin .35 Rem guide gun (yes, they made 500 of these little beauties!)

Default My screwed up philosophy.

Small caliber Rifle, Large caliber pistol, varmint/small game hunting
    Large caliber rifle, Small caliber pistol, (.22) Big game hunting or just out.
    No rifle, large pistol, Fishing/hiking. (maybe the .22 also.)
    Shotgun, large pistol, bird/rabbit hunting.
    In town, 380 auto Ruger LCP and if in an area with a high density of "Dirtbaggers" my 1911 .45 comes along ALSO.
    Home defense, 500 Mossberg with light and .45.

No gun, when I am with someone more paranoid than me! lol

when hiking long distance.....i drop the scope off my BLR 358 winchester (6lb 8oz). I also bring my 17 hmr scoped pistol for small game (when in season). So.....I gotz the bear protection covered (powerful and light), and it isnt nescasary to carry a shotgun when hiking long distance.....the the little pistol works OK on rabbits n birds.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
    Small caliber Rifle, Large caliber pistol, varmint/small game hunting
    Large caliber rifle, Small caliber pistol, (.22) Big game hunting or just out.
    No rifle, large pistol, Fishing/hiking. (maybe the .22 also.)
    Shotgun, large pistol, bird/rabbit hunting.
    In town, 380 auto Ruger LCP and if in an area with a high density of "Dirtbaggers" my 1911 .45 comes along ALSO.
    Home defense, 500 Mossberg with light and .45.

No gun, when I am with someone more paranoid than me! lol
    Yer NOT "screwed up". Yer jist a man with a GOOD plan.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast