Thread: Mirage (yes), cool name? I don't know

Default Mirage (yes), cool name? I don't know

I was out and about... and saw a cool mirage across the inlet in Anchorage.
    The mountains seemed squared off, and taller. Pretty nifty, as the sun set the mountains slowly began to 'shrink' to normal and eventually lost the squared off "mesa" effect.
    Does anyone know if it has any kind of cool scientific name, or a story?

Not the greatest pictures, but the idea is there...

Thanks in advanced!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Stogey??? that was in anchorage? nifty photos.. very interesting effect
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I don't know what you call it, but I often notice from ground level, the lower half of those same mountains do this same thing, but I've not seen the top do it before. Cool pics.

It's called a Polar Mirage and has something to do with temperature inversion. In the winter, looking south from elevated locations in Fairbanks, it's not unusual to see a Polar Mirage over the Alaska Range.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    It's called a Polar Mirage and has something to do with temperature inversion. In the winter, looking south from elevated locations in Fairbanks, it's not unusual to see a Polar Mirage over the Alaska Range.

see you can keep learning things.. stogey i have never seen anything like that up here...

thank you!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Polar Mirage - aka fata morgana

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    Thanks! A quick Google search revealed that it is also known as fata morgana.

You da heat!

Thanks a bunch.

Default Ancho-town

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Stogey??? that was in anchorage? nifty photos.. very interesting effect
    Yes, it was in Anchorage. I was on the top of the hill near Campbell creek when I saw the mountains looking a bit odd.
    All I had was a rather slow 300mm, and no filters to reduce the haze (it was quite hazy today).

It was really cool to see.

Default Few more

Again, not great shots... but here's some more:

http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/o...bucket/Mirage/

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    it is also known as fata morgana.

Thanks a bunch.
    funny, my last name is Morgan, and I've put on a few pounds recently....I'm also now known as fata morgana....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Geocache (earthcache)

I feel really bad now... took the pictures... had my GPS, and I GeoCache. Did it occur to me that someone would have created a cache that highlights this? No.
    So, if you're out and about and see this phenomena, you might want to be at the right place, and take at least two required pictures.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...4-4c06849c5657

Default Because of the temperature inversion...

Back in the 70's while stationed at Eielson AFB, we used to drive the upper back roads and you could see Fairbanks. If it was About -50 below, at night, you could usually see fairbanks buildings and lights do a double reflection effect. Something like taking a picture off a still lake, seeing the reflection below in the water and the city above, like a horison effect, in opposites. Really cool. Looks like those mountains are doing the same thing but having the upper bottoms cut off. That is like the same situation. Only happens few and far between, and there is also refraction involved, not just reflection. God... I hope I explained it where you guys are not confused cause after proofreading, I'm really confused.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Can somebody post a picture that shows how the mountains would look without the mirage.

Default Good point...

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Can somebody post a picture that shows how the mountains would look without the mirage.
    I don't have pictures from that exact angle, but the general idea is there. The point is that the vast majority of the mountain shapes in Alaska do NOT resemble a mesa.

Here ya go!

Default Three more...

Three more in their more 'natural' lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Back in the 70's while stationed at Eielson AFB, we used to drive the upper back roads and you could see Fairbanks. If it was About -50 below, at night, you could usually see fairbanks buildings and lights do a double reflection effect. Something like taking a picture off a still lake, seeing the reflection below in the water and the city above, like a horison effect, in opposites. Really cool. Looks like those mountains are doing the same thing but having the upper bottoms cut off. That is like the same situation. Only happens few and far between, and there is also refraction involved, not just reflection. God... I hope I explained it where you guys are not confused cause after proofreading, I'm really confused.
    The control tower for the Eielson runway is a place where they see that effect virtually every time it gets cold. The edge of the Tanana River is 2 or 3 miles away, and the river bed is quite wide there too, but it can't normally be seen from the tower because of the flat terrain that the forest of trees that block the view. However, at anything colder than -45 or -50F the density of the air provides a lens that bends the light... and virtually the entire river bed can be seen very clearly, just as if the tower was several hundreds of feet higher than it is.