Thread: Salmon First week in June.

Default Salmon First week in June.

Where would be the best bet to catch a salmon in the first week in June anywhere in the Anchorage thru Kenai peninsula area?

I have had the opportunity to fish several times in the area and have had some good halibut trips. I have yet to catch a salmon. Main problem is I have not been able to plan a trip date based on fishing, I just do the best I can based on the trip dates. I will have a 3 day window to plan a couple fishing trips on June 7-9.

Any help appreciated.

Ship Creek gets hot then...right in downtown ANC. Father's Day timeframe has Willow Creek north of Wasilla kickin' Good Luck & Fish On!!!

Sapper in the Skies

Just about primetime for first-run Kasilof kings. If you're itchin' to land a king and you go with someone in the know, it's almost tough NOT to get one in that timeframe.

Thanks for the input. I will hire a guide, time is too short to DIY. Am I better off on the river or in the ocean(poss. a two day combo king/halibut)?

IMO opinion if you have the means Id do the combo. Get yourself some butts for the freezer as well a knock a few kings down too. Deep Creek/ninilchick should be happening pretty good about then. A few of our members run charters out of there too and are worth a look
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

June 7 is getting late for a combo off of Deep Creek. Halibut fishing is still good but the most of the kings have made their past there by then.

If you got three days I would fish the salt for halibut for sure and then fish either the Kenai or the Kasilof on the other day. Remember that the Kenai is closed to fishing with guides on Mondays and the Kasilof has days that you can keep natural kings and days that they must be released!

Default River vs Ocean

Fishing the Kenai, or the salt for king salmon is a tossup in early June. Could go either way as to the best bet depending on run timing and water conditions in both areas. If you have the time try to do both trips, and then if you still haven't scored go down to the Kasilof (no guide necessary) in the evening. With this strategy, and any luck at all, you should go home with one or more kings.