Thread: grouse hunting with pellet gun

Default grouse hunting with pellet gun

hi, im a moose hunter i dont stay in a stand all day i walk allot the past years ive been spotting grouse 2 or 3 a day last year i carried my 410 shot gun worked well but it was a pain in the ass to cary i was wondering would a crosman 1377 shooting pellets to 600 fps good to kill 1 ty for ur time

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    hi, im a moose hunter i dont stay in a stand all day i walk allot the past years ive been spotting grouse 2 or 3 a day last year i carried my 410 shot gun worked well but it was a pain in the ass to cary i was wondering would a crosman 1377 shooting pellets to 600 fps good to kill 1 ty for ur time

i used to, and sometimes still do, carry a little daisy lever bb gun. if you can get within 30 feet of them, and hit them in the head, itll do the job.

Release Lake Trout

I would prefer not to just due to the chance of injuring without killing. But that is an internal thing within me. I might take a .22 pistol or something if you dont want to lug around another rifle.

If you're a good enough shot to hit them in the head (They're not hard to get close to) then I would say go for it. With 600 fps I doubt you would get enough penetration for a kill shot on the body though.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

When I was a kid I hunted grouse with a crossman pellet gun. Hit em in the head and it's all over.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Personally I like a wrist rocket type sling shot, easy to carry, silent and very deadly on game as big as rabbits, you just have to be proficient enough to hit them right and make a humane kill.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Personally I like a wrist rocket type sling shot, easy to carry, silent and very deadly on game as big as rabbits, you just have to be proficient enough to hit them right and make a humane kill.
    don't waste your time with the crummy steel shot either, pick up some .50 lead balls and let err rip.

I do have a 1377 that was my regular companion out riding my ATV or dirt bike around the valley as a kid. It has dropped many a bird using pellets without issue. The only downfall of that pistol is that it is easy to get a pellet stuck sideways in the chamber which can get frustrating. Just get close and thump em in the head and it is lights out.
    ***note my 1377 was purchased almost 20 years ago and I haven't looked at the new ones so the quality could be in the toilet like it is with the powerline 880.

the only reason i don't use a 22 caliber pistol is that in canada its a pain in the ass to have a hand gun license. how is the accuracy of the 1377 is their a better hand gun(pellet) that is smaller or more accurate.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i hunt grouse all the time around the house with a pellet rifle.

pellet type has a lot to do with the ability to knock them down also.. i like the hunting tips and the hollow points... the Wiener dog is good for pulling the out of the brush too when a kill shot is not made
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

After slingshots, wooden toys, and cap guns... My first little kid gun was a Crossman Pumpmaster 760. It was a BB and .177 pellet variable pneumatic the more ya pump the higher the velocity. It comes in about 600FPS and accounted for 100s of Ptarmigan, Grouse, Squirrel and Hare. After-all it was 3 miles down the mountain to the school bus stop and back up the same road at days end... good hunting times of day and lots of good shooting.

Later, I got a pistol like the one you posted in .22. I still have both! Both work!!!

Some 4 years back, I got a Walther NightHawk w/ all the bells and whistles for indoor target shooting into a trap fun and for a kids carry plinker on hikes...not much velocity there, but accurate w/ 8-shot capacity enough that the little guy got pretty good KOing trail-side Grouse. At best, that handy little pistol might have gassed 350-400fps. Pretty cool, yet got an offer too good to refuse... sold it off for way more than I paid.

I use a pellet rifle for small game on occasion - The one I use works well but it is a little faster at 1000fps. Not much to kill a spruce hen if you can hit them in the head.

Should work just fine up close. My kids hunt with pellet guns around the house all the time. 2 of them shoot 1000 fps but they also have a pump action crossman pistol that have put lots of grouse and rabbits on the dinner table. Not sure what that one puts out for P fps but its an awesome little gun.

I shot one in the eye at 100 feet one time, with my crossman 10 pump bb rifle. dead as a door nail.
    Semper Fi!

I nabbed 12 grouse this year. 8 in the dry creek area near Healy and 4 on the Emma lake trail. Two of them I hit centre mass and they still flapped about one hundred yards away. I found one and when I came to the clearing where the second one landed, what did I see flying quickly away with a dead grouse? Some sort of orange bellied falcon! Scared the life out of me. I would have thought a pellet gun would be too weak as I had to pop about 6 of mine twice with the .22 but I guess that just shows my accuracy wasn't too good. I love going out by myself for a few hours to find some grouse.

I carry a good quality wrist rocket sling shot with marbles and have killed dozens with it (usually head shots too). Quiet, light, packs easily, ammo is cheap, what more could you ask for. With a decent amount of practice, you are deadly out to 20 yards or better.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default When I got my Beman R1 .22 cal

I thought that the 900+feet per second would be and advantage, and as far as knock down power it is ok but the accuricy is not as good as most good .177 caliburs. I have a 5mm barrel for the R1 but it is not any better.
    I have seen there is a .32 and a .50 cal made for hunting , and was wondering, if any one else has used them .
    Did you all know that Lewis and Clark came across the country with an air gun ?