Thread: Fishing Gear

Default Fishing Gear

I am flying to Alaska 7/31 to 8/7 2007. Two days in Seward and 5 days on the Kenai where I plan on shore fishing for Reds. I don't want to use my baggage allowance on fishing rod, etc. I plan on bringing a cooler to hopefully bring home some fish. Any suggestions about buying or renting rod and reel, hip boots, net, etc. I will be staying near Soldotna. I suppose I could bring a reel and some tackle in my suitcase. I also have a collapsable walleye net if that would work. Last year I used a 8 1/2' casting rod and reel that belonged to a friend who lived there but it is not available this time.

The Hardware store in Soldotna, right on the main highway, and Fred Meyer both carry a good assortment of inexpensive, workable red combos....anywhere from $40-$80 for rod reel and line. You will of course need terminal tackle and lures but you should be able to do all for not much more than $100. Why not bring a reel and terminal tackle with you....don't take up much room...and just buy a rod in Soldotna??

Bring everything you can. If you still need a rod, buy one here. Before you fly out, mail the rod home. Just a thought.

Sounds like a good plan. Do you have any idea what hip boots or waders cost in Soldotna? I have an old pair of thin vinyl waders that you need to wear with shoes and are not very comfortable.

Default hip boots

Itasca hip boots at Trustworthy Hardware usually go for $17.99. Very servicable and a good bargain as well.

Just another thought - if you pick up gear in Soldotna that you don't want to take back, Kenai River Sportfishing Association takes donated rods and reels, cleans and repairs as needed and hands out to area kids each year at the Kenai River Festival - over 100 combos last year. Their office is in Soldotna, 262-8588.

You might consider shipping your Reds via FedEX or UPS rather than using a cooler. The horror stories of fish in coolers being lost at the airport are the minority but they do happen. Nothing worse than budgeting for a trip like yours and then have no fish when you get home.

You could get a couple of 4 or 5 piece rods. That's what I take with me on fly-in hunts when I want to fish a little too...or on the ATV.

Default Hey Arnie!

How are ya? Terry here...had to re-register to this site as I couldn't get my login to work for a few days. Anyway, I assume you're flying out of Mpls., I've flown to AK both on NW and worry free vacations and neither charged us for the rod tube, you could check with them, but what they tell you on the phone isn't always the same as what happens at the airport. Personally, I couldn't get by with one rod; different needs for say, the lower kenai reds vs. russian river fishing. Depends on what you feel you need I guess. If you could get by with one rod, I'd do as suggested and bring a couple reels/line wts. and just buy one reasonably priced rod (Soldotna hardware or Fred Myers) and give it to some kid before leaving. I use lightweight breathable waders for everything nowadays, they pack very light other than the wading shoes; but I like them SO much more for support and traction that It's well worth it to me. We've always flown our fish back with us; even with recent baggage hikes it's still half the price of FedX...if you're on a charter it's pretty much impossible for them to lose your fish, less so if you do NW with a Seattle stop, although I'd still go that route. Have a great trip, wish I was going this year, but the saltwater thing has me too bad...

Hey Terry, I'm flying Sun Country and they allow 2 checked bags, one 62" and one 55". And 50 pound limit on each. They charge $90 for an xtra bag or overweight from Anchorage. I have Fedexed the fish one year and it is expensive. Last year I brought a cooler and it held 70lbs of fillets. I may have to use a smaller one. Where did you get the waders?

Don't bet on it, but I know we brought rod tubes w/no extra charge on the charters...not sure which one, but likely sun country was one of them. Like I said, they don't want to say up front, but theres a good chance the tube would fly free. Breathable waders are available many places, hard to go wrong with Cabelas dry plus, 100+ for the waders (but Cabelas warrenty is great), and boots can run another 50-100 depending on style. If you look for clearence sales I would think you can get a good boot/wader setup for 150 or so. You have to layer underneath them for warmth, but after sweating like crazy in neoprenes and stumbling around in ill fitting rubbers, I've been sold on the system for years.