Thread: Opinions on TRUGLO Tru-Brite BDC Rifle Scope

Default Opinions on TRUGLO Tru-Brite BDC Rifle Scope

I've been lookin' into gettin' a good rifle scope with a budget of no more than $400.00. Something in the 3x12-4x16 range. I came across the TRUGLO Tru-Brite BDC Illuminated Rifle Scopes (http://www.truglo.com & http://www.opticsplanet.net/truglo-d...le-scopes.html) and found only a couple of reviews. It seems the reviews gave this scope good marks, especially a guy who mounted it on his DPMS LR-308.

Anyways, just seein' if any of y'all have had any experience with this brand and would appreciate some input.

Thanks...
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8

I haven't seen a TruGlo in person, but I've seen the Konus 30 series, and they have pretty good glass for a sub $400 price tag, and a 30mm tube as a bonus.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/52877-34.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=984937

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=108080

I also notice with the above examples that Cheaper Than Dirt really isn't cheaper than anything

Default Made in ??

Anybody know where these are made - China, Japan, Phillipines, North Korea or ??
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Anybody know where these are made - China, Japan, Phillipines, North Korea or ??
    Made in China but appears the optics themselves comes from Japan: http://www.americanhunter.org/Articl...?id=1495&cid=0. The TRUGLO website states Sportsman's Warehouse carries it as well.
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

If I were to pick a sub $400 scope, I'd get a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Premium 4-16X. In fact, I did pick one and LOVE it. Great optics and takes a beating. Great buy! I think they have a killer sale going on with them too right now.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

I forgot about Sightron. Their SII series is really crisp, and all mine have been very reliable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=704546

Made in Japan with a lifetime warranty.

Cool another Chinses scope...and you can buy a 3-9 Zeiss for $399

I don't really want to get a Chinese made scope but from what I've been able to find from other non-Chinese companies, for the range I want, it's beyond the $400 price.

Wild was suggesting just such a non-Chinese alternative.

The Zeiss (German company) Conquest (assembled in America) series of scopes can be found for $400 and up, depending on the model.

But you are correct that if you have to have a 3-12 or 4-16, you won't get a Zeiss for $400. Me, I would check out what Wild has for $400 (cash in hand), and be happy if I could get a 3x9 Conquest. They have excellent optics for sub-$1000 scopes. But I run a 2x7 VX-II Leupold on my .308, so doesn't sound like the same needs and wants as you.

Good luck. Please tell us how it looks when you get whatever, and how it performs after being out hunting for a week or two, and after a season or two..

Appreciate the invaluable insight/input from y'all. I have plenty of time to make a good decision before my first caribou hunt, which is why I'm doin' the research now. Based on the inputs, reckon the best thing is do a check the old fashion way...walk up to the counter of a store (Sportsman's, etc.) and peek through the glass. I may be doin' a bit of overkill w/ the specs (4x12-16) because of yet goin' for big game in wide, open spaces so an accurate shot is made.

Default Not a good comparison

About any scope will look good in the store with bright lights etc. Besides the scopes are not adjusted to your eyes and it is hard to hold one steady anyway at the higher powers. It is really a tough job to compare.

I've compared a bunch of scopes on my back deck at twilight conditions - a tough time for a scope. My eyes aren't the best but I frankly can't tell any significant difference between any of the better scope brands: Zeiss, Smidth & Bender, Leupold, Redfield. Burris, Pentax, Kahles etc. other than a Leupold 2x7 that was just not very clear for some reason. I did look through some of the low end stuff and there was a significant difference between them and the better scopes in some instanes but no all.

Mechanical integrity and weatherproofing is anothe matter. The better scopes will generally stand up to use and abuse better and resist fogging etc. in really bad weather.

Go with any of the better scope brands and you should do just fine. You can also buy a second scope and have it sighted in to your rifle for a quick changeout if you have removeable mounting. A cheaper second scope can save the day if you drop or damage your No. 1 scope.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBluTex View Post
    Appreciate the invaluable insight/input from y'all. I have plenty of time to make a good decision before my first caribou hunt, which is why I'm doin' the research now. Based on the inputs, reckon the best thing is do a check the old fashion way...walk up to the counter of a store (Sportsman's, etc.) and peek through the glass. I may be doin' a bit of overkill w/ the specs (4x12-16) because of yet goin' for big game in wide, open spaces so an accurate shot is made.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK