Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16B Hunt

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default 16B Hunt

Has anyone hunted there yet? I understand that the moose have rebounded after the bear predator hunt. I own land there and will be building a cabin this summer.

Default Still not good

We spend alot of time up the river and all tho the moose #'s have increased a little I believe the biggest increase has been on the interior of the area v/s the river area. I've also flown in this area and still see no "BIG" numbers anywhere in 16B. Keep hamering the bears and maybe in another 5-6 yrs the moose will come back.

Don't waste your time in 16B. Still too many bears.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default What a shame

It sure would be nice to have a good hunt while living in my cabin. Anyway Black Bear tastes good.

Default Oh Well

Guess I will have to eat Black Bear.

Default Hey

Wonder why my Pic doesn't show up here.

I am about 6 miles in from the river, 8 miles south of Skwentna.
    Last edited by alaskabushrat; 01-09-2010 at 17:32. Reason: spelling

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    I am about 6 miles in from the river, 8 miles south of Skwentna.
    That's pretty hungry country. Good martin trapping though.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Yep

lots of porcupine too.

Default bears?

Bears in 16B? Brown? I've been flown in there for 3 springs, and we have seen a total of 3 brown bears. Saw several blacks on one trip, and got one, passed on another. But browns? Man, I'd sure like to know WHERE! We were west of Soldotna, in general. Is farther up north better? More visibility? I'd love to help you moose hunters out, trust me; just let me know where the brown buggers ARE. thanks. j

We hunted there some last fall. The moose population was fairly sparse although we did see a few. There were bear tracks on top of bear tracks on EVERY gravel bar and slough. Lots of blacks but some brown as well. We didn't see any bears, but there was plenty of sign. I think there were quite a few taken under the predator control program last year, so things should look up on the moose population in the next few years if people keep after the bears.

Default where?

Little: Roughly, where were you that you saw all that sign? We have seen very little sign on gravel bars, etc, but on one trip we did see about a half dozen blacks and two browns (browns were way, way far away).

JKLINGEL- What time of year are you hunting over there? 16B has brown bears all over but depending on how early you are going they may still be in the high country. I have seen more brown bears in 16B than I have black but my experience primarily involves the months of June thru Nov.
    Last edited by johnscd; 01-12-2010 at 08:17. Reason: Wrong months listed

i think the south part of 16B is a little to brushy in the fall time, spring they hammer some bears outa there though. i did one flight over the middle of 16B once and saw three brown and 3 black on the only open ridge there was. 16B is brushy enough with limited access that the bear numbers will never get as low as they want them to.
    More people headin out there because its close, increases the demand for moose so it will, i think, not change much in the next half dozen years or so...one bad winter can offset the entire lack of bear kills too..
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default April/May

John: We usually go in mid-April to early May, at the suggestion of the pilot. He'll put us near a bear, or activity. The bears that we have seen are all in the hills, some higher than others. Very little sign in the valleys. Brushy? That is accurate! Climbing is a fight; in the bottoms it is ugly. This is pretty much across from Kenai; never been farther north or south. Maybe later would be better? I'd also like to go in the fall sometime, but I've not been overwhelmed w/ the place yet, not for brown bears, anyway. Thanks. j

that sounds like normal spring brown bear hunting, brushy and bears are high...same just about everywhere.
    look for hooligan runs, not sure if there are any over there, get on rivers that flow outa mountians, bears will use those as natural travel coridors enroute to the beach for grass..usally in early to mid may.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    Bears in 16B? Brown? I've been flown in there for 3 springs, and we have seen a total of 3 brown bears. Saw several blacks on one trip, and got one, passed on another. But browns? Man, I'd sure like to know WHERE! We were west of Soldotna, in general. Is farther up north better? More visibility? I'd love to help you moose hunters out, trust me; just let me know where the brown buggers ARE. thanks. j
    March 17th thru April 5th. That is when the larger boars are on the moose kills. Concentrate your efforts on the headwaters of the Hayes, July and Nikosina. You can always find them at the first valley floor at the base of their denning site. They will stay there for a couple of weeks killing moose before they go on the prowl looking for sows. Then they start moving in the timber and brush, making it more difficult to locate and kill them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Roger that.

BRWNBR: I guess we just got spoiled on one trip to Hinch. Saw about 14 bears, incl sows and cubs, and three were at least somewhat approachable. Seeing one in a week is frustrating, but if that is normal, than so be it. Akres: Thanks. I'll check into that. Maybe we can eventually make something happen over there.

Default Great Discussion

I have my land about 8 to 10 miles south of Skwentna and 6 miles west of the Yentna. If any of you know Kenny Hughes out there, my land is right next to his. I can't wait to get my cabin built next summer. I talked with one of the Biologists that did the moose survey this year and he said a total of about 89 bears were taken out in 16B. But, I feel there needs to be more taken out. When I get the cabin built, I will let everyone know in case you want to visit on a hunt.

I heard in 2008 like 400+ black bears were taken out of 16B. I have a friend who was a part of predator control in 2009 and they shot like 30 black bears in a very confined area of 16B over the course of a week.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast