Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting in alaska and how it can get under your skin

Default hunting in alaska and how it can get under your skin

when i came up here i planned on not really buying any more rifles or pistol for hunting for i figure i had all the rifles i need to hunt with but in the last month i bought a new 7mm rifle and scope for sheep hunting and a bowtech bow for bow hunting along with a handgun for hunting and a 22 cal air rifle for small game hunting and pest control around the house ...

hunting up has become a drug up here about trying and see what new hunting gamme animals fro big game type to small game type animals i can find up here in the comein year ..

The thing is to get out and use it.Don't let little things like rain stop you from going. The game is not the tuff part but looking Mother Nature in the eye and saying I'm going anyway is the big difference between here and the lower 48

in dec in went into one place and bought a complete set of new hunting cloths along with rain gear for all the diff weather up there

The buying of equipment, and INTERNET chit-chat, the watching of TV Outdoor channel, and video's has become the surrogate for genuine wilderness experience. This statement will spark a reaction of indignant outrage........because it is true, and the truth hurts. Note: It serves do purpose to attack me. My point is do not confuse authentic wilderness experience with false pacifiers. OUCH.......OK the rant is over ....I am sorry.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

AH come now Hope....

granted there is a new wave of gear head-Dom under way.

i will admit some of that gear REALLY makes me feel better too. you like i have been at it long enough to have spent nights on a gravel bar under a tarp in the rain and wearing blue jeans, flannel and helly hansons...
    we have gotten up in the am, head out to do what we where there for and suffered the undignified weather in misery...

I have to admit.. some of the new gear is a far cry from what i had as a younger man 20 years ago...

could i still hunt in the mil surp wool and flannel? you bet..but MY god that stuff was heavy when wet.

the old hellys were really only good in the full down pours any way. light drizzles made you as wet inside as you were out.... heck i can remember wondering WHY i even wore any from time to time...

set of camo face paints and a birthday suit would have been more comfortable i think....

I like the new gear that is come out... lighter, easier to dry over a line and th fire, moves with me and a lot less likely to kill me if the temp drops so fast.

some of it....... OKAY a lot of it is FLUFF that is unnecassary..if you know what your doing and where your at.

light packs with ergonomic design to help your back? you bet!
    better pack stoves with longer burn times per bottle meaning less fuel carried? you bet!
    Lighter clothing in a single layer that meets three layers of what we used to carry?

sure i understand at some point enough is enough... like there is not much going to replace the CARHART coverall in winter hunts,, there is not much need if hunting out of your back door as we have both done for decades....

but those trips that require the distance, weight, limits or cost you to add fuel surcharges in air fare... yeah they are worth it IMO

pacifier? now... i have yet to find a DVD that will make me happy sucking on it

each person will have to do what makes them happy.... as long as they have the finel end result.. that is what counts the most.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My point is that creating fishing flies is fun, and is somewhat connected to fly fishing. Reloading ammo is fun and is somewhat connected to shooting. Buying outdoors clothing and equipment is fun, and can be associated with the experience of being in the wilderness. I feeling is that we sportsmen get seduced by the Madison Ave. con and at the end of our time we have not managed our hours alloted to be alive as we had hoped. That we need to be careful that we don't confuse virtual wilderness experience for authentic hours afield. Note: none of this is aimed at the original poster, but is my desire to encourage all outdoors men to not confuse the two separate realities.

It is interesting that one experience is free, the other involves spending money in exchange for a warm feeling. Kind of like a warm pacifier.

Default Getting to your hunting destination:

Don't forget the truck, trailer, Boat(s), Plane, ATV's, snowmachines, argo, etc. and etc..........

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I feeling is that we sportsmen get seduced by the Madison Ave. con and at the end of our time we have not managed our hours alloted to be alive as we had hoped.
    +1- excellent point and well put. A good friend down south appears to be the most "deer crazy" whitetail hunter on earth. Realtree jammies, bumper sticker and all.

He hasn't actually hunted a breathing critter in 3 years.

As access to the actual hunting field gets more difficult (at least in the lesser 48) I think you'll see more "Walter Mitty" hunters who do it all except actually do it for real. Kind of a mental association rather than a physical one.

I agree that the two are separate yet intertwined. Big game hunting season is short which leaves a lot of time for planning, buying gear, and hopefully saving some money for the fall adventures. I don't fault anyone for buying the gear that make them more comfortable and the hunt more enjoyable! Besides the money going into pitman robertson funds helps us ALL!! I love my gear and get excited over each purchase, then I get out and beat the SNOT out of it, usually reporting back here what works and what doesn't. Hopefully this saves others money in the long run and makes them a better more successful hunter. If you have to cut a hunt short due to a gear failure it can be a huge letdown especially if you are remote. Yep from my Arctic Cat to my Wstcomb pants and event rain gear all packed away in the garage I can't wait to break it back out and chase the animals that call AK home again this fall!! I am pretty well set on rifles and most gear though this fall will likely add a Packraft, new scope for my 270wsm, and a new set of mountain boots since my Kennetreks are not quite what they were 3 years and several hundred miles ago! I will be smiling ear to ear as each new box arrives and the dreams of their implementation settles me in to sleep each night. What would I do with the rest of the year if it wasn't for planning my fall exploits? Besides chase predators and small game that is, which I do with gusto. I even ordered me up a new puppy here recently for hunting birds in the coming years.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Besides chase predators and small game that is, which I do with gusto

hmmm Jon? now that your back over seas....

how do you call in preditors if they allow you too?

do you hide behind the rubble and cry.. H...EEEEEEELLLLLLLP!!!! i am a lost little blonde girl?

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The thing is to get out and use it.Don't let little things like rain stop you from going. The game is not the tuff part but looking Mother Nature in the eye and saying I'm going anyway is the big difference between here and the lower 48
    Yep thats right, they don't get weather in the "lower 48"

I suppose I'm kind of in the middle here. I'm not wealthy, but I'm no pauper either. I have bought everything I believe I need to get out there and hunt, or even just enjoy the Alaskan wilderness. I never allowed being without some item of gear someone else considered indespensable to keep me from getting outside though. I used to go camping in California in the winter up in the mountains with no tent - just a sleeping bag and a tarp. If you use your head, you can still get out there and enjoy it without having thousands of $$ worth of gear.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I wear and sleep in about the same equipment now as I did on my first hunting trip over fifty years ago. My guns are single shots and double barrels using hundred year old chamberings. No four wheelers or snow-gos and have lived up to six years at a time without electricy or running water and built me own cabin with logs I cut. At my age lights and hot water are something I want and can afford but could do well without but mama would not be happy now. I can walk out of my house and be hunting in a half hour by just walking. All game I have taken has been at less than a hundred yards. My goat was about a hundred and fifty away from me but stright up from the river bank I was standing on so it was about like point blank range and he fell in the river. My guns don't have scopes and my binos fit in my pocket. My biggest difference is now I walk back home for supper most of the time

i bought cloths and other items that i need for the weather of alaska for all my hunting cloths where more geared towards the lower 48 typle of clothing with cold weather of alaska like my hunting boots i would know they would not stand a chance in alaska back county along with good wet weather rain gear for i had no real rain gear that would stand up to the backcounty use . i have all propler back county hunting gear like a good pack and other items i will need for the hunting in the backcounty..

ok here one thing i learn when i was up there in the month of dec my boots that i bought with me did not work when i went to the range to do my weapons Quals ..my feet got a little cold even with the silk socks liners and thick heavy wool socks ..my boots half way though the day was letting me down with cold feet at the end of the day that bad people for cold feet means iam not a happy camper at the end of the day ..so i went out and spent the money on the items i need to keep warm ..plus as long i am warm and dry i will hunt longer and injoy the outdoors more ..

[QUOTE=A good friend down south appears to be the most "deer crazy" whitetail hunter on earth. Realtree jammies, bumper sticker and all.

He hasn't actually hunted a breathing critter in 3 years.

As access to the actual hunting field gets more difficult (at least in the lesser 48) I think you'll see more "Walter Mitty" hunters who do it all except actually do it for real. Kind of a mental association rather than a physical one.[/QUOTE]

That is soooo true. And there's plenty of them. I call them arm-chair hunters.. Wannabe's if you will. They're ALL subject matter experts, just ask them... If you listen to them or even read their posts, you call tell who they are.

For those that do get out there and get after it, good on ya. I don't care if you spend $2 or $20,000 on gear, just get out there, use common sense, be safe and have fun. The rest will fall into place. See ya out there...

We had a thread awhile back about setting up camp by other hunters. A few stated if it was a cheap tent they figured the other folks were not real hunters. I myself thought they proved just the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    That is soooo true. And there's plenty of them. I call them arm-chair hunters.. Wannabe's if you will. They're ALL subject matter experts, just ask them... If you listen to them or even read their posts, you call tell who they are.

For those that do get out there and get after it, good on ya. I don't care if you spend $2 or $20,000 on gear, just get out there, use common sense, be safe and have fun. The rest will fall into place. See ya out there...
    That about sums it up...

I agree Amigo, too many people confuse price with quality. In addition, people confuse useage, if I'm backpacking I'll go with my lightweight but durable Kelty, if I'm car camping I'll take my big old heavy canvas wall tent I bought at a garage sale years ago for $5 (and as beat up as it is it doesn't leak a drop!).
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Default How Far?

I got to admit I love reading Amigo Wills posts here, Have a question for you, What kind of rangefinder do you use?
    Just kidding, actually I am getting some straightening out on my own mania by your perspective on things and priorities. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast