Thread: Chances of Flying Job, 1,200 hrs AK, 52 yrs old

Default Chances of Flying Job, 1,200 hrs AK, 52 yrs old

I am soon to loose my Stateside non-flying job. What are my chances of returning to AK to fly. I am 52, but have 1,200 hrs, Part 135 AK time from 1980's (Kodiak Western AK Airlines). Also have 3,400 tt, ATP, mostly SE VFR, clean record. Will anyone hire an old, (not bold) wise & safe pilot??

any bush hrs? cause ive seen alot of older pilots working more with private charters..ect..but No expert here

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default yes, I have AK bush time

Yes, about 1,200 hrs bush (Bristol Bay, Kodiak, C-207)

There's a bunch of pilots in your age group (yours truly included) flying for a living up here. If you get on it early I'm guessing you won't have any trouble finding a job, especially if you aren't too picky about the location....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Default Thanks Louis,

Thank you Louis, is the old, tried & true method the best ?? (walk the ramp, call & visit in person). When I was in AK, the Chief Pilot of our company never read the reusume's of the stateside pilots who mailed. They figured if they were not up there, ready to go, it was not worth calling the applicant.

Yes, the tried and true method is the best. A resume is just a piece of paper but it's the guy who walks through the door when they need someone that gets hired. I should say the guy that walks through the door AND can fly an airplane. If you haven't flown for a while, make sure you have the rust polished off. It would be worth the time and money spent to make sure you're sharp on your short field techniques and your instrument flying is up to ATP standards....Louis
    Louis Knapp

I was 50 when I got my first Alaska flying job, and your numbers are a lot better than mine were. I fly floats in SW, and I'd guess that the average age of the pilots out there would be around 50.
    Anyplace I've worked, a guy living in Alaska might get first look, as it's just easier to check him out, but most lodge pilots live Outside in the winter.

Thanks Muskeg & Louis.