Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nunivak Muskox

Default Nunivak Muskox

Just informed that I drew an alternate permit for muskox on Nunivak for Feb 1-Mar 15. I have read all the old posts. I will probably be going by my self and wondering if I should go with an outfitter or a transporter? Plenty of experience skinning and butchering but would this be to much for one man. If I go with a transporter can I hire an extra hand or so to help with the job since it sounds like wx is the biggest factor. Looking for all info since this is a last minute planning job. My info live in Anchorage life long hunter plenty of experience just want to make sure I do do this trip right. Thanks

Default Transporter

I hired a transporter and was happy with the services provided. Why pay a guide when you can butcher it yourself and save a lot of $$$$. This is a very expensive hunt anyway so use FF miles to save more $$$.

Hire a transporter and save the money over a guide. The only thing that is hard about it is caping the head and you can bring back the cape with the skull inside. Not like its going to spoil. Pay your taxidermist to do it if you're scared to do it yourself.

AKHuntingfool is right - fly on air miles if you can. Make sure you have several hours to make your connection in Bethel.

Consider selling your backskin to offset the cost when you get back to town. Don't just leave it behind or give it away.

Take a 22 or other suitable weapon to shoot some fox if you have time. You might see one or two

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

congrats on pulling the draw... and like the others keeps saying.. this is an expensive hunt.. though i have not been on it.. all i know that have average 8,000-10,000 all said and done including taxidermy

Goodl luck!! enjoy the experiance
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You could fly to Nome and hunt the registration hunt for free!
    Hire the transporter. He can transport you out and back. Get a sled that will haul the whole Ox. Once your back in town, you can hire whoever you want to help with butchering.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the tips. Will go with a transporter. Thinking of taking 4 green totes nestled together for meat and hide for the trip home. Besides the basics of warm clothes, knives etc, anything out of the ordinary I need for this trip? Thanks

MT its a free hunt? lol by "free" i think you mean just no transporter involved?
    still gotta rent a snowgo, place to stay, flight there, and buy the tag and ship the ox back right? otherwise i'm on my way up!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I plan on doing a shoulder mount and have the rest tanned for a rug. I am more concerned about the cold. Competent on caping just not super fast. I plan on doing a normal skin job on the cape and just cut the skull off at the last neck joint and leave the skull in the cape until I get home unless I get stuck in Mekoryuk and am able to thaw it enough to work on. Will be making my phone calls to the transporters Monday to see what kind of dates they have open. Somebody mentioned taking a 22 along for fox. Good odds on seeing fox? Any suggestions for places to stay in Bethel? Sounds like you stay with the transporter or the guide on Nunivak. Appreciate any and all tips and suggestions. Thanks

You'll need a big tote to ship the head if you leave it in the cape. They're pretty "oxy" especially if you can't cut the nose off the skull.

Try not to stay in Bethel. If you do, don't stay at the Bethel Inn - although they will have room if its a last resort. Don't know the flight schedules out there these days, but try to fly to Bethel in the morning and out in the afternoon so you have plenty of time (all day) to make your connection.

Hopefully you are staying at your transporter's house in Mekoryuk, otherwise you'll be sleeping outide. Bring your own food if you want something special, but I'm sure they'll feed you well. There is a store in town, but its obviously not going to be that well stocked or cheap.

Yes, lots of fox on he island - red ones and white ones. Don't worry, if you kill an ox they will find you. Just a matter of whether you'll have time to screw around with them. You should also be able to find someone that will sell you an arctic fox if you want to buy a hide - bring cash and negotiate.

What weapon are you taking?

I am thinking of taking my 338. Thanks for the hotel tip in Bethel. The plan is to just pass thru Bethel.

Default Mail equipment to Nunivak

Check with the air service that services Mekoryuk and see what the baggage limits are. A few years ago you were limited to one 40 lb bag. For most guys this bag is their rifle or bow. For this reason I mailed out all my gamebags, extra clothes, and equipment in fishboxes so they would be waiting for me upon arrival. I then used the boxes to transport the meat back with me. Also bring a huge duffle for the hide. I used a Cabela's duffle (body bag) that a person can fit in and the hide filled it. Bring goggles for riding the snowmobiles. My transporter said he had helmets for riding but upon arrival there were no helmets. Take some Havalon knives with the replaceable blades. You will never sharpen a knife again.

The only real difference in cost, brnbr, is the tag. 500 bucks for the Nunivak draw, free for the unit 22 Registration.
    Of course, renting a snogo for a couple days is also cheaper than paying a transporter fee.
    Still Ox left to harvest in the hunt close to town this year. Things aren't happening quite as fast. Anyone wanting to hunt still has time and opportunity for this year.

what are snogo rentals going for up there now? fuel?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

200 per day on the snogo. 100 per day for a sled.
    Gas is just under 4.50 per gallon.

Good call on the bag limit on the flight out. Will check. Already have goggles and replacable blade knife. So far only 7 stitches this fall from that knife. What did you do on the return trip from MYU to BET or was the 1 bag restriction removed. Do you geneally skin and quater in the field like normal or do a lot of folks bring it back on a sled and work on it in town? Seems like it would start to freeze and be a bit diffucult to work with. Thanks

I don't think there is a 1 bag limit, I think it's a 1 bag FREE limit. So there is your answer, dig deeper into your wallet

Its been a few years, but all our excess baggage got back from MYU to ANC for free. It shouldn't have, but did. Of course that only made me feel a little better about the hotel room in Bethel and the extra plane tickets to get ourselves back.

Any perference Grant or Hageland air to Mekoryuk

SMP, I'll be headed over with a friend for a bull ox in early February. Flying ERA from Anch. to Bethel and then Grant from Bethel to Mekoryuk. It's a bit cheaper on Grant for the flight, but I was quoted only a $1.00 per pound on excess baggage, far better than Hageland's $1.70 per pound.
    Fish boxes will likely work better than the plastic totes you mentioned. With the bitter cold and the baggage gorillas, they're likely to break open, spilling your contents, or contaminating your meat.
    My buddy who went over 2 yrs. ago, said that you'll have to skin and butcher on site, unless your transporter has a place to skin. Even then the carcass will likely be frozen stiff after your 40 mile trip back to the village. He said that you should be able to shoot some fox, if you're not having to head home, due to another hunter in for an ox hunt. Best wishes.

Also heading over early Feb. How many fish boxes are you planning for your meat? Are you planning on using duffels or something else for the hide and horns? Are you going to travel out the same day from Anc. or spend the night in Bethel and fly out in the morning to Nunivak?

Here is a link from my hunt that I did last March. It has a bit of information on it regarding who to fly with, where to stay, etc. I used Grant because the extra freight was 75 cents less a pound, and when I was stuck in Bethel we stayed at Brown Slough Bed and Breakfast. Very nice place.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=musk+ox

Good luck on your hunt, we expect a full report when you guys get back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast