Thread: inboard or outs

Default inboard or outs

I'm looking to purchase a boat in the 24 to 27 foot range - and I need help resolving the dilema of inboard or outboard? I really like having 2 outboards for back up... I run mainly out of PWS/Whittier. My primary considerations are safety and range. Can you guys out there weigh in?

With safety and range as the primary considerations... outboards would be my choice. Far fewer potentially explosive parts in your bilge, and more fuel tank space.

I should add, outboards are always my favorite, unless running straight inboard diesels.

Default Yup...

Fewer thru-hulls with outboards also...

Thumbs up

I'd give the nods to outboards, but 1 instead of two plus a high thrust kicker. Unless your twin outboards have their own independent fuel systems then you are going to have just a good of change of having problems while out in the middle of no where. Also twins are way more expensive than one to feed and maintain... the maintenace on new 4 strokes are spendy.

One thing to remember on a sterndrive is when the motor goes bad a new 350 with all the accessories is 4-8K but the drive is still good. When outboards need replacement it can be 2 new motors at 10K a piece.

Currently the trend is aluminum and outboards so they may have higher retail when you sell. Likewise you can get pretty new fiberglass inboards WAY cheap.

Just something to chew on.

Sobie2

I can offer the positive side of chosing and inboard. The only negative fault I can find with having an inboard is having to winterize it every year. It isnt a big deal, maybe 2 hours or so but it does cause you not to take it out again till spring after you winterize it.
    I fail to see how an inboard is more maintence. I change the oil and filter once a year on one motor and change one fuel filter and only have to change the lube in one outdrive.
    Plus's are fuel economy at least equal to twin outboards and there is a lot less engine parts hanging off the transon. I have a 496 ci 375 hp inboard on my 24 footer and I average between 2.5 - 2.8 mpg with three adults and full fuel tanks running 25-30mph. Plus just about any inboard will give you the ability to have a heater and defroster just like a auto.
    Having dual outboards works well if you have large enough motors that only one can put you on step other wise you simply have a very expensive second motor for a kicker if one breaks, not a valid arguement. I just popped a 10hp High Thrust outboard on for a kicker.
    My wife and I decided the inboard was cheaper than 2 outboards and we did not want two big outboards hanging off the transon. On our Sea Sport we already have two huge fish wells. And I would bet one holds over a 1,000 pounds of fish easily so we would never fill it up. The second well is used for wet storage.

There is no right or wrong choice only what is right for you and your family. Good luck with your decision.
    Tennessee

i have twin yamaya T-50's. Both are on one fuel system. Racor with a high volume then two ball valves. I can choose one tank at a time. My racor has the clear bottom on it with a valve. Just drain the water now and then and I have not had a problem with it in 3 years of hard use. Replace the filter every year. Now about having two outboards. If i was getting a new boat, which i need very badly, well want. I would just go with one big one. I have used one motor before just for trolling. But with other one still in the water it is too much drag. I made mine to come apart. Never tried it that way yet. But will gaurantee it will not run like you would want it too. You would have to change the prop. The pitch i run with twins is 15pitch by 13 5/8 inch, huge for a little motor but the yamies are made for it. But with one motor will need a 13 pitch and the motor out of the water. did it once on the kenai. I guess the coming spring i should really test my boat to see what it could do if i need to only use one motor to get in. My boat builder has a new yamaha 250 4 stroke-$19,000 was his cost. with a 20 horse kicker. He has been running PWS for over twenty years like that, well with a 225 2 stroke before the new one. So like the other guys said it is up to you. Talk to the guys at dewies cook inlet. i bought my motors there and the grey haired in the back is awesome. So good luck. Oh and for out there stick with aluminum. Easy to beach to go for bears and nothing to worry about like with a fiber glass. For safety stick with aluminum and outboard(s). A guy hit a log with his lower unit last fall and ripped part of it out of the transome, yep he sunk. gave the boat to guy a know because to much to fix it. Just something to think about. Lots of rocks out there too. Get a garmin with a alaska card. Sooo nice. Like i always say all you need to know when it comes to boats is Yamaha and Garmin.

Default I'd go inboard

I'd lean towards an inboard diesel with a kicker for back-up. OR twin diesels if you can afford it. Depends on your preference of gas to diesels. Do you want the option of a half door of the stern for pulling huge halibut or for just for foot traffic off your boat. Some people are against diesels due to the weight, but I'm of the opinion that they are much more reliable.

A true inboard diesel is going to be mounted fairly far forward, unless one starts getting into v-drives. So the weight is not going to be a factor.

If you mean the I/O diesels, such as those found in Seas Sports (volvo-penta) then they are mounted in the stern.

But, a v/p 43 is not to be confused with grandpa's diesel either. They aren't the nice slow (1400rpm) diesel found in fishing boat. They are building them smaller, lighter, and more complicated than ever. Now that they're running higher rpms, I'm starting to lump them in the same category as gas inboards.

Most folks aren't running their chevy 350s at 3500-5000 rpms going down the highway for hours on end. But that's exactly what they expect their gas inboard/outdrive engines to survive for years on end. I prefer an engine that was designed from the beginning to run and operate at it's most efficient level at high rpms, and for the most part, those are found under the cowlings of outboard powerplants.

Twin Honda or Yamaha outboards would be my choice. Look around and see what most of the six pack charter operators are running. Just my opinion.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Twin Honda or Yamaha outboards would be my choice. Look around and see what most of the six pack charter operators are running. Just my opinion.
    Have to second that. Twins are the way to go. Honda and Yamhas are probaly the best to selling outboards right now. And they are very quiet.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Donít forget to check out the new E techs, I hear the maintenance cost is way less than the 4 strokes and they are just a fuel efficient.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.