Thread: Talkeetna Scope Mounting Issue

Default Talkeetna Scope Mounting Issue

I ordered and received a Swarovski 1-6 x 24 scope for a Kimber Talkeetna that my wife gave me for Christmas. Along with the scope I received the Talley rings and bases (part #25X840) that I ordered. So last night I mounted the bases and torqued the screws to 25 inch lbs (using my Wheeler FAT wrench) per Talley's recommended torques. Note: the screw holes of the bases line up perfectly with the screw holes on my Talkeetna.) I loosely put the rings on the Swarovski, but the rings just didn't seem to lay right on the bases when I put the scope on the rifle. Anyway I snugged up the ring screws so that I could shoulder the rifle and look through the scope when I noticed that the muzzle end of the scope seemed to be higher than the rear of the scope in relation to the rifle barrel. My wife also thought the scope was aiming uphill. Perplexed, I removed the scope and rings to make sure that both rings were the same height and they are. So I laid a metal ruler across the Talley bases and found the rear base is about a 3/32" lower than the front base (about the width of a nickel). The height difference accounts for why the scope rings didn't seem very stable on the bases before I snugged the ring screws down.

I rechecked the Talley part number of the bases for a Kimber 8400 and they should be the correct ones. I guess I'll call Talley this next week to see if they have an explanation for the height difference, but has anyone ran into this issue with Talley bases on a Kimber 8400? The difference in height cants the front of the scope up so much that I'm positive that I won't have enough adjustment in the scope to sight it. Any and all thoughts and associated experiences are appreciated.

WhiteFish
    Attached Images Attached Images

ring height is a constant...so if the bases are not placed incorrectly (front-back) it must be a part number mistake. i have used talley mounts for years and have been happy with them. recently, to save weight, i switched to the alloy "one piece" ring and base set.

this set is very strong and stable, mounting is simple as well. the alloy rings grip the alloy scope as tight (or tighter) than the steel model. i have fired thousands of rounds through my rifles w/o any problem what so ever. check them out.
    happy trails.
    jh

Call Gary at Talley's. He should be able to help. They bases may be backwards. Back on the front, front on the back, or just wrong height base(s). A good choice in scope for that Talkeetna.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

That rear base is definitely not right...you can see in the picture that there is a huge gap on the sides. I would try swapping front to back, and if that doesn't work then call Talley.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Good Eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    That rear base is definitely not right...you can see in the picture that there is a huge gap on the sides. I would try swapping front to back, and if that doesn't work then call Talley.
    You've got a good eye Kay9Cop! I didn't notice the gap along the sides of the rear base until you pointed it out. I appreciate your attention to my post. The rear and front bases cannot be changed as the holes don't line up when doing so. I'm guessing the rear base is not the correct one for the set.

I'll post the results after I get to talk to Talley and hopefully get the correct base.

Thanks greatly.

WhiteFish

Default Talley bases

I also recently ordered some stainless bases for my Talkeetna from Talley. The Rear base was not the correct P/N so they sent me the correction. It appears in your pic that the rear base is not milled flush to the rifle. Both my bases are milled flush.
    In the Bush

Talley is really slipping up lately. Last month I ordered a set of "silver" one piece ring/mounts and they shipped me blued ones. Easy to fix but a pain none the less.

Your rear mount is not the correct one for that rifle. May I suggest another option? When you return it to Talley ask them to swap out the set for a set of the lightweight one piece mount and rings. Very sturdy, lightweight, and inexpensive.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/c...egory_recnum=6
    Tennessee

Whitefish,

I have exactly the same setup......my rear base is thicker than yours .....you have the wrong rear base.....Talley has good customer service...they'll fix things.

Vern

Thanks to all who shared their knowledge regarding the Talley bases for my Talkeetna. I received another set of Talley bases and this time both of the bases were in fact correct. My .375 rig (picture attached) is ready for the 1st range test.

Thanks again.

WhiteFish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default We need updates

Got in on this one late. Gary or Chris will fix you up as you have already found out. I put the steel QD on my Talkeetna. Also be aware that you can get 3 different front bases. They are made to accomodate different scope tube lengths. Also the front bases can be reversed to change your dimensions also. They are $13 each so they are cheap enough to have on hand if you change your scope to something else.
    Keep us posted on how the big "T" shoots.

Put DNZ one piece mounts on my Talkeetna...VERY pleased...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFish View Post
    Thanks to all who shared their knowledge regarding the Talley bases for my Talkeetna. I received another set of Talley bases and this time both of the bases were in fact correct. My .375 rig (picture attached) is ready for the 1st range test.

Thanks again.

WhiteFish
    Can you see the rifle sights over the bases? I am looking at doing the quick detach rings and am wondering if open sights are usable if scope removed but bases stay on rifle.