Thread: Ammo shipped to AK where are the deals?

Default Ammo shipped to AK where are the deals?

I just bought a .270WSM and am finding little for ammunition here in Kodiak and everywhere I look down south (online ammo sales) they won't ship to AK. This is my first new rifle since the Ammo crunch so am wondering where everyone is getting their Ammo and if there are good dealers in Ak who can ship to a Kodiak address? I guess I missed the Rush on the stuff as didn't need any for the rifles I already had. Now I have seen a 25% jump in the price of 270WSM in Kodiak at the one place I could find it so,.... what's the scoop?

If you can get enough people interested in Kodiak, I'd suggest a group bulk ammo order. Lots of folks on this forum were doing that when ammo and reloading components were getting scarce. I talked to a Sportsmans Guide rep and was told they would ship ammo to AK, but there was a $300 haz-mat fee, regardless of quantity. That's obviously outrageous for a single person buying a few boxes, but if you can get 20 or 30 people involved in a bulk order, that $300 gets cut down to size. Might be something for you to look in to.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I have not had time to figure out shipping to around the state, want to keep costs down for the customers.

I am thinking alaska airlines gold streak or something might be the cheapest, just gotta call and find out prices sometime.

I am a dealer of Double Tap. Although he doesn't load that .270wsm. I offer free shipping to my door, huge saving there. I am waiting to hear from Hornady, who I got the clear from as a dealer also. Just waiting for my price list and such.

I also called another company that won't ship to alaska that deals in a bunch of brands of ammo. I am waiting to hear back from them too, might call them in a bit. Just gotta find out if they will sell to a business as I have all the shipping worked out.

I sponsor the ammo dump. So my website is there or in my signature. Has my list of DT ammo I can get and my prices which can't be beat!

I have not got into the cheaper plinking ammo, as you find it still but it has gone up also and I still rather shoot what I hunt with.

Just trying to help out all us alaskans.

Another way is to have ammo shipped to a friends or realtives house in the lower 48 that you are planning to visit. Then put the ammo in your luggage when you fly back.

"Ammunition up to 50 lbs for domestic travel and up to 11 lbs. for international travel is permitted if securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. It can only be accepted inside an ammunition clip if enclosed inside a suitcase, firearm case, etc. Ammunition purchased over the counter for rifles and pistols (.50 caliber or smaller, and 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410 shotgun shells) are acceptable as baggage provided they are packaged properly. Dragon Breath shotgun shells are forbiddenHere is Alaska Airlines ammo policy"
    Tennessee

"Haz-Mat" fees should typically be about 20.00 on any shipment. You may have to pay it twice, once to your freight forwarder, and again from your forwarder. If someone is charging 300.00 they are stealing or don't really want your business. Or both.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Do you reload? You can order the brass and bullets; have them shipped USPS flat rate with no Hazmat fee. Then you just have to buy the powder and primers at the local store.

Default Soon to be a reloader i believe

No I haven't done any reloading YET, that's good info on another advantage to reloading with shipping the components w/o Hazmat costs thanks. I will be reloading soon.
    Interesting that my new Sako 85 manual clearly states warranties voided with reloading of any kind. Guess that goes to figure but I was surprised to see that. Shouldn't need warranty anyway with well built rifle.
    Thanks you guys for this info, I have recently (last Dec.)flown from Anch to Kodiak with a hardcase (small orange one you see in firearm stores next to the Ammo) chock full of .22LR and was a bit surprised at how easy the AK airlines folks were with that. I had a carabiner in the locking slot for TSA and they did get into it but it didn't slow me down at all. So I imagine I will be up to Anch for a "stock up" at wherever the best prices are in the big city? Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    "Haz-Mat" fees should typically be about 20.00 on any shipment. You may have to pay it twice, once to your freight forwarder, and again from your forwarder. If someone is charging 300.00 they are stealing or don't really want your business. Or both.
    Who are you going through that is only charging $20? I've been trying to figure this out, and that's way below what I've been quoted from anyone else. For $20 I would just pay it and make my own bulk order.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Talking

Lynden freight charged 43.50 for 100 lbs of smokeless powder from Cal. to Fairbanks. That was the Haz-mat charge. The rest of the surcharges and freight amounted to another 215.00. If you ship a couple hundred pounds of ammo, say 10,000 rounds of 223 ball and some 7.62x39 you should be able to get it up here for around 400.00 freight. Talk to the freight companies and pre arrange your shipment with them. The Haz-Mat charges are pocket change compared with the actual charges for the weight of the shipment. If you can, pool an order for 500 to 1,000 pounds. Natchez Shooters Supply has some deals on 223 ball that are pretty decent. And by the way, Sportsmans Guide is NOT your friend.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I guess I should have been more clear, SG was quoting $300 total for shipping, including haz-mat. Sounds like your deal is actually more expensive. I have had no issues with anything I've got from SG so far.

That still works out to be way too much for any single person buying some ammo.

Lynden freight charged 43.50 for 100 lbs of smokeless powder from Cal. to Fairbanks. That was the Haz-mat charge. The rest of the surcharges and freight amounted to another 215.00. If you ship a couple hundred pounds of ammo, say 10,000 rounds of 223 ball and some 7.62x39 you should be able to get it up here for around 400.00 freight. Talk to the freight companies and pre arrange your shipment with them. The Haz-Mat charges are pocket change compared with the actual charges for the weight of the shipment. If you can, pool an order for 500 to 1,000 pounds. Natchez Shooters Supply has some deals on 223 ball that are pretty decent. And by the way, Sportsmans Guide is NOT your friend.
    Those shipping rates are rediculous! Just buy your ammo through me and be done with it! I have not looked into buying powder yet, not sure if I want to get into that. If I could sell 400# of ammo, I can get it here for less than $.50 a pound.

I can get hardcast and brass. Brass though is from Starline and I have to purchase ALOT of it. Have not had to much interest in that yet. I would have to pre-sell it before I would order it. Some of there stuff is back ordered often too, but they do get it and ship it.

If you get where you can ship to Wrangell I would be good for a couple hundren bucks at a time and maybe alot more.I know Alaska airlines flys in here twice a day.

Ahh, I shopped around on freight and Lynden was the most reasonable. But then again, we're in Fairbanks so we're used to getting rooked on freight. That was 100 lbs of powder, the gross weight was 160 with the boxes, etc. Worked out to 1.60 a lb. Which, after the VERY reasonable cost of the powder put the landed cost of a pound of IMR at 19.80 a lb. Everyone I sold the powder to was thrilled as the local retailers are getting 30$+ a lb in town. It's just a freight bill, if you ship enough you get used to it.

Ahh, I shopped around on freight and Lynden was the most reasonable. But then again, we're in Fairbanks so we're used to getting rooked on freight. That was 100 lbs of powder, the gross weight was 160 with the boxes, etc. Worked out to 1.60 a lb. Which, after the VERY reasonable cost of the powder put the landed cost of a pound of IMR at 19.80 a lb. Everyone I sold the powder to was thrilled as the local retailers are getting 30$+ a lb in town. It's just a freight bill, if you ship enough you get used to it.
    Sounds like a great deal gb. I would add that I have gotten accustomed to the freight charges added to everything, but I am not really used to them.

I'm with Amigo Will.

I know it's not much help, but without my job, I'd have a heck of a time. Luckily, I'm a loadmaster on cargo planes, and get maybe 8-10 trips to the lower 48 per year. On most of those, there's a Cabelas, SW, Bass Pro, or others near the hotel I stay at. On a cargo only flight, I can bring back 50Kg of 1.4S Hazmat (powder/primers), and on a cargo/ passenger flight I can bring 25Kg. Unfortunately, I can't bring anything back for others, as I work for the govt, and that would be breaking the law to subvert private carriers... personal goods are all that is allowed.

It really sux that private carriers charge so much for hazmat fees, as it is only one form that needs to be filled out, and it only takes about 1 minute. I do it myself (for myself) when I bring stuff up, just to stay within the letter of the CFR's.

A few things to ponder:

We ship ammo up here by the ton (last year right before sports man show we did a 6 ton shipment)...if you are shipping less than a ton, you will get hammered with frieght charges, even assuming you get the same bulk rate that we get. By hammered I mean the cost of freight per box.

The freight from Anchorage to Kodiak is astronomical for small quantities. Plus, for air cargo, the new TSA rules will make you nuts.

In terms of getting quality ammo, if we want Fed or Winchester or Remington, we have to go through a distributor, which means we have to pay an intermediate markup. Thats why we try to get Hornady, Corbon and HSM, to avoid that markup and get it out at a cheaper price. For example, I can sell HSM 375 for less than I have to pay to buy Federal 375, same bullet weight, etc.

This year we will hopefully get Fiocchi, which we will be able to sell in bulk super cheap.

I have encouraged, and will continue to encourage guys from places like Fairbanks to buy in bulk and road it up from Anc. We try to give good pricing for those runs.

Default Comin' up to be my own shipper

I'm going to be blasting thru Anchorage for about two days next week with extra cash to spend on mostly .270WSM, some 9MM, and several bricks of .22LR.

Can you guys help me save time driving around and lead me to the guys with best ammo supply and also the folks you would send your friend to?

I hope to look up these guys in this thread as I appreciate the input. I am looking for some shop or ammo guy who can help me get ammo here in Kodiak maybe w/o having to fly up tho I do travel often enough that I can become my own shipper if that avoids Hazmat nightmares

I'm not really wound up about scrimping on price as much as looking for someone who can give good advice and help me getting started reloading and help me figure out how to get this all efficiently to Kodiak.

Also give me an idea as to the location of your fav shop, (I am more of a landmark guy than street names guy around Anch,)

Thanks

kodiakrain,

It is difficult to find 270wsm ammo in the Anchorage area and when you do you better buy it up or they will not have it the next time you come around. My wife has a Mod 70 in 270wsm and we both love the rifle and the cartridge but hate finding loaded ammo in town. I have finally given up and started assembling all the stuff to reload for it.

Sportsmans usually has the best selection of it and are about average on prices. Did I mention you get raked over the coals on prices for 270wsm?

Good luck on your search I hope you do better than I did.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default raked on wsm

Yeah, I have noticed the raking over the coals on 270wsm here in Kodiak, Not much available and after deciding on wsm for my new rifle due to the ballistics numbers I also made the decision on pricing of ammo, everywhere I looked it was around 30$ for box, (seemed reasonable) then in the first week after my new purchase the price went up here in town by 25% to 40/box.

Time to get into reloading I guess, I still like the caliber for many big game species in AK but I have this addiction to the range and running through a box for fun that is hard to afford at $40.

thanks for the info