Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: browning a bolt vs remington model 700

Default browning a bolt vs remington model 700

with stock design is better to reduce felt recoil in the same rifle weight

It's not at all a significant factor with these two choices.

However, I'll say that the Browning is a better rifle than a 700 (that should get you some more responses to your question...I just did you a favor).

Doc

with the extent of felt recoil aside.....I'll prob. never own a remington again. I've had problems with their ammo, problems with their guns, problems with their customer service and met one of the Remington big wigs down in OK....I could have done without ever meeting that ignorant dude. Havent dealt with browning customer service though......because my rifle has never had any problems.

I am a Remington fan big time. Never a problem with any of my Remington guns. As for the 700 i love mine. Its 20yrs old but shoots better than i do.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default The one with the smallest butt will probably hurt more.

I think you'll find that both Remington and Browning have more than one stock design. Check their respective websites and see.

I have noticed that the A-Bolts I've seen in stores, and at gun shows, have butts that appeared rather narrow and not very big top to bottom either. (I didn't take any measurements.) I didn't like the stocks. I think they'd do a job on my shoulder that I wouldn't like at all.

The Factory stocks on the two Remingtons I own, both have combs, and cheekpieces, and the good size butt-plates. I think they fit me purty good.

Given the two choices, and choosing only on the basis of stock design, I'd go with the Remington 700s.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Browning Vs Remington

I have both brands in several different calibers (but not two in the same) And I would take the Remington 700 over the Browning. I did notice that the Brownings are made in Japan....interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    with stock design is better to reduce felt recoil in the same rifle weight
    A stock that fits you is among the most important variables in felt recoil and sadly a factory stock is designed for what they consider the average shooter or otherwise known as one-size-fits-all. In reality, very few persons are "an average" size and one-size normally fits no one perfectly.

I would encourage you to shoulder both rifles and see which stock best fits you. In all likelihood that stock will be the most comfortable to shoot. Personally, I would not limit myself to just the factory options as guns are designed to modify IMO. I prefer my rifle with about 14 & 1/4 inches for a length of pull which is at least a half-inch more than most factory stocks. Thankfully this is easily remedied and I am better satisfied with a stock modified to fit me. The end product is much more comfortable for me to shoot and comfortable shooting allows better shooting. Any competent gunsmith or savvy shooter can help you determine how to better fit your gun to your body and are probably very willing to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I am a Remington fan big time. Never a problem with any of my Remington guns. As for the 700 i love mine. Its 20yrs old but shoots better than i do.
    I too have a 22-yr-old 700 BDL (in 300WM). It has been my main hunting rifle the whole time without one failure. I consistently get MOA groups (my dad does even better) with it.

But (and there is always a but), what I have read recently about the design and performance of various newer Remington products, including the newer 700s gives me pause about buying a new Remington rifle.

Does anyone else think Remington may have dropped off a bit in the last decades or two in quality control? Not saying, just asking.

I have a Remington 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag that I bought in either 1971 or 1972. It still shoots like a champ and if I do my job, will do 3 shot groups in one inch or a bit less at 100 yards.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

MarineHawk- When I looked at the remington model 770's I lost a lot of respect for the company. Then when I seen one fired at the range, and the shooter cycled the bolt and completely and unintentionally pulled the bolt out of the receiver, I lost the rest of what little respect was left.
    I love my older remington's, but I am very hesitant to buy new one's.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I have both brands in several different calibers (but not two in the same) And I would take the Remington 700 over the Browning. I did notice that the Brownings are made in Japan....interesting.

I grew up shooting and hunting with Belgium Brownings that my step fathers grandfather passed down to him and he still hunts with them(i'm 46 now),the best guns I've ever shot.

In 1975 most of the production of Browning guns moved to Japan,quality went down hill after that for a long time IMHO.

From what I heard from those that own newer Brownings,they like them.

I have 4, 700 Remingtons. Three synthetic stock guns and one laminated stock gun. All shoot well and I have not had any problems with them. I am looking at buying a 22-250 in the near future and I am 99.9 percent sure it will be a Remington as well.

In 1975 most of the production of Browning guns moved to Japan,quality went down hill after that for a long time IMHO.
    Yeah, we didnt do a warranty claim on an ABolt this year, thats poor quality

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I'm disappointed too, Ken. I don't get to come visit with you guys because the four (made in Japan) A-bolts that we have just keep working without a problem...and all four are over 10 years old.

Doc

Mine was in the shop, but that is because the ham fisted gorilla at the big box store didn't know what he was doing mounting my rings. Functionally the rifle has been flawless. I did put a limbsaver on it and with that it is pretty comfortable to shoot. I love the 60* bolt throw and the tang saftey as well as the box mag.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Mine was in the shop, but that is because the ham fisted gorilla at the big box store didn't know what he was doing mounting my rings. Functionally the rifle has been flawless. I did put a limbsaver on it and with that it is pretty comfortable to shoot. I love the 60* bolt throw and the tang saftey as well as the box mag.
    Ditto that...(minus the gorilla part).

Doc

Default Browning A-Bolt

I own three A-Bolts; 2 of the early A-Bolts and one A-Bolt ll. Both of the early A-Bolts will out shoot the A-Bolt ll. The later model A-Bolt is a .280 with a 22" barrel and my older ones are .338 Wm and a Rem 7-mag with 26" tubes. I can't get the .280 to stabilize bullets heavier than 145 grains. I talked to Browning and they said they would put on a new 22" barrel under warranty, but wouldn't install a 24" barrel at their cost. I could have browning install a 24" barrel in their custom shop at my expense. Can't fault a guy for trying. It shoots the Nosler 140 grain AB's great so I'll keep it as it is for now. If I do decide to rebarrel it I'll probably go with a Pac-Nor barrel. Back to the original question Browning A-Bolt vs Remington 700 - I would vote Browning A-Bolt.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default It's amazing what they can do with Pot Metal. (Just kiddin.)

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The action is very smooth too. They have some nice features.

I think they're like a Weatherby, MK V, in the sense that if you like them, fine, and you don't plan on on a lot of modifications. Other than that, there is no comparison to a Weatherby MK V.

I absolutely hate the stock design, on the ones I've seen, up close.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Did you catch that 1975 part or did it just go over your head?

and read my whole post why don't ya

Never owned an a-bolt but started out shooting a 700 and bought a 22-250 in the model 700 back in 2000. Both guns have been great, shoot great, and I've had no problems. I would buy another in a heart beat.

In my experience, which was several years ago, you can get an model 700 substantially cheaper than an a-bolt. That being said, I would go with what 1Cor15:19 said. Go handle both guns and pick the one that fits and suits you the best. That tends to be the most important thing in shooting accurately and comfortably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast