Thread: Gunsmithing prices?

Default Gunsmithing prices?

How much do y'all charge up in anchorage to mount a barrel to an action?

I need the barrel mounted, chambered to the desired caliber
    I can send the reamer if need be with the reciever and barrel.

Headspace, lap the bolt lugs

parkerize or duracoat the metal

this would be a Mauser 98 style commercial acton
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

A couple questions.
    1. Is the barrel already threaded.
    2.Does it need to be cut to length and crowned.
    3.What caliber? I may already have the reamer and gauges.
    4.Park just the barrel or the barrel and reciever. Not much difference, but some.
    5.I presume the bolt face is correct for your caliber.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Not in Alaska but one of the top notch smith's in the country and heck of lot cheaper than some of the prices I was qouted in Alaska...

http://www.deanscustomguns.com/index...d=48&Itemid=53

Another good one as well again not in Alaska...
    http://www.skaggsgunsmithing.com/

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

whateveri8, 323- the prices listed on Deans Custom Guns link are very close to the ones quoted to me by Alaska Custon Firearms. By they time you figure in shipping, ACF would probably be cheaper.

Ralph

1. Is the barrel already threaded.

Answer: yes it is threaded. It's a douglas XX premium stainless

2.Does it need to be cut to length and crowned.

Answer: the length is good and crowning I don't think should be needed

3.What caliber? I may already have the reamer and gauges.

458 win mag

4.Park just the barrel or the barrel and reciever. Not much difference, but some.

Park just the reciever and the bolt shroud, I want to polish the bolt and leave the barrel matte stainless

5.I presume the bolt face is correct for your caliber.[/QUOTE]

The bolt face will be for a magnum cartridge, It's a bent bolt and already sporterized.

I have another bolt that is a military bolt What's the cost to have it bent for a low mount scope?

Another action I have 1935 Mauser action Arginetine, how much to drill and tap it for scope mounts?

It will need parked as well. I'd send the floorplate assy to have it parked to match the receiver.

thanks

Scott
    Ketchikan
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    whateveri8, 323- the prices listed on Deans Custom Guns link are very close to the ones quoted to me by Alaska Custon Firearms. By they time you figure in shipping, ACF would probably be cheaper.

Ralph
    Roger that but big difference between Alaska custom firearms and Dean Zollinger! Comparing the two is like comparing a Savage to a Winchester... google Dean Zollinger

Yea, a savage is lot cheaper and has a better barrel, so I guess you have your answer.

Terry

Not going to get into a Pecker measuring contest here.. But thier is no such thing as cheap savage anymore and Savage makes a better barrel really??? I'm goign to say it if you want it done right send it out of state... I would never have anyone build me a complete rifle in Alaska I will send my stuff out of state... Same goes for pistol work as well.

323- Dean Zollinger's web site does show some impressive rifles. Before you mentioned him I had never heard his name, but that's not saying anything, I normally simply deal with local business's when I need weapons repair/modification.

I have never seen any of Dean Zollinger's work first hand, or ACF's for that matter. That said, everything I have heard of ACF's service and work has been very good. And, from what I have heard, they stand by their work.

Personally, and this is just me, I prefer to support local guns shops who have a good reputation. There are too many big business's killing the little man these days and if someone local is trying to support our outdoor activities, and has a great reputation for customer service. They will get my dollar vote. I currently have a rifle at ACF's being worked on, as long as the meet my expectations, they will receive repeat service from me.

Ralph

Also alot folkson here have never heard of Duan Wiebe, Chic Worthington the list goes on... Thing is folks here are afraid to look out the window... Find me a guy in Alaska that can do the Metal Work Duane Wibe or Dean Zollinger do. Sure everyone say I want a working rifle if you are going spend 500-600 or even more why not do it right! Put some wood on it... I hae synthetic stocks yes i do own a coupl but they are factory rifles thier is no way I would ever disgrace a beautiful rifle by putting a black ugly thing called a stock on it. Then people go well you are in Alaska really guys I have hunted the Coast mtn range of Oregon and you know it rained everyday I hunted there for a good 7 days straight and it snowed as well. I was lugging at muzzle loader with a wood stock and blued barrel oh I wiped it down every evening no rust problems... Again my preference and I will never rag on someone for going another route the guy here asked for some prices for gunsmiths and I offered him a alternative.

323- you won't get an arguement from me on wood/blue over plastic/SS. I agree with you there, and I wasn't ragging on you for your choice to go outside. The OP was asking about Anchorage prices, I was just pointing out the overall cost is probably lower in Anchoarge than outside for what he was asking for.

323- you won't get an arguement from me on wood/blue over plastic/SS. I agree with you there, and I wasn't ragging on you for your choice to go outside. The OP was asking about Anchorage prices, I was just pointing out the overall cost is probably lower in Anchoarge than outside for what he was asking for.

Ralph- wasn't implying you were ragging on me but the storm will hit soon... When other folks see my post and they will judge me or whatever... When my wife rifle is finished you are more than welcome to come at look at it, Zollinger doing the metal work and Claude Gatewood doing the wood work.. Hope to have it done and finished before our wedding anniversary... It is going to be her Alaskan gun with some black walnut already have the blank picked out, caliber 338-06...

323- the rifle sounds nice, and yes, I would like to see Dean Zollinger's work in person. Thanks.

Default Prices

323- the rifle sounds nice, and yes, I would like to see Dean Zollinger's work in person. Thanks.
    after all that where the hell are the prices may be i can compeat.

Quote Originally Posted by dindvik View Post
    after all that where the hell are the prices may be i can compeat.
    Steve at Alaksa Custom Firearms provided me an email quote under 300 to take a barrel blank, cut and crown, chamber, thread it, and true the receiver action. In addition to that I have him applying the nitrate coating for another 300.

I didn't list the quoted prices from ACF's in my original post below because I no longer have the emails saved and was working from memory, plus it is not my place to provide quotes for a business I am not part of. The post referenced ACF as a point of direction for the OP to inquire into on his own.

Steve stated that he prefered a barrel not to be pre-threaded or chambered, by doing the work himself he could do a better job truing everything. He did state the price was the same whether he threaded and chamber or not.

The link 323 provided for Dean Zollinger's web site showed prices that were comparable not counting the shipping to his shop.

Ralph