Thread: video camera

Default video camera

does anyone have any good experience with a video camera that is fairly rugged and handles hunting environments well?? I cant afford the really nice waterproof, shockproof 10 cagillion megapixel units... but would like to get some good video of our family hunts...

thanks

Greg

i've used just normal camers, but i carry them in a washcloth case that i sewed up and i leave silica gel packets in with it, and drop it in a gallon zip lock. if its moist and rainy i'll leave a piece of paper towel in with it to help with any mouisture. never had a problem except going from cold to hot, like inside the house, then it'll get wet inside.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Aside from moisture, next biggest problem you will have is battery life. If you have nowhere to charge your batteries you need to make sure you have a camera that has a good battery charge. I bought a cheaper video camera to take with me on some hunts and I bought an extra battery just in case....waste of money that was. I charged the second battery as a backup but by the time I need it, it's totally dead (same day). Some batteries are better than others so check for reviews and get opinions. The cold will kill batteries quick but I know some people who have purchased those hand warmers (the ones you shake) and wrap them around the spare battery with an elastic and keep them wrapped constantly so they never get cold on their hunts. Good luck!

I'd like to buy one of the pocket flash drive video cameras like the Vado, Kodiak zi8, or Flip to take on hunts. They seem really small/easy to pack and aren't that expensive. Anyone have experience with these types of camcorders, pros/cons?

I just use my regular point and shoot. It has built in image stabilization, so the videos are of decent quality. Last spring I shot 3 gigs of video and ended up using only about 20 minutes of my spare battery, as the first battery lasted a very long time.

Default Canon GL2 and Sony HDR-1000

I have used both, they are both great for outdoor and extended mountain trips as long as you have several batteries, a light weight dry bag and a little bit of desiccant.
    The GL2 is lighter at 2.2lbs and rides in a pack better than the HDR.
    The HDR shoot high def and has better low light performance
    Both have a 20x optical zoom which is a must have for outdoor videoing.

You can usually find the GL2 for around $600 on Ebay. If you look at the hunting videos in the Alaska Hunting forum, you can see the 2006 Kodiak Island Hunting Video. It was shot with a Canon GL2

My 2 cents anyway :-)
    Louis

Default Flip

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I'd like to buy one of the pocket flash drive video cameras like the Vado, Kodiak zi8, or Flip to take on hunts. They seem really small/easy to pack and aren't that expensive. Anyone have experience with these types of camcorders, pros/cons?
    I use a flip camera. It's cheap, and pretty rugged. You can get some good video on it. Not quality video, but good enough for the web.

Here is a youtube moose hunt shot with a flip. http://bit.ly/4R3cWq

But it doesn't have much of a zoom at all. If you want to zoom in close on something...forget it.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default Anyone try the ATC2K?

I like the ruggedness of it but I have no experience with it. Does anyone else have any? Ive also thought about duct taping it to the skid on the helo when I work in the summer. It'd be cool to show fam and friends all the cool places I get to go. Not too sure about the quality. It claims 640 x 480 VGA resolution at 30 frames per second which is ok for the web but pretty sad for a big ole HD TV.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...cid=77&pid=709

Not priced too bad either.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.