Thread: King Fly Patterns

Default King Fly Patterns

we're heading to yakutat in jun to hunt kings in the situk & need some help with patterns & hook sizes.

any help out there?

paul

Default King flies

I cant personally help you here, but did see some nice flies fro kings on a few websites lately as I myself, am looking for some good flies for silvers for an upcoming trip to Bristol Bay. The sites were Hills Discount flies, Bristol Bay flies, and Kaufman and Streamborn. That may get you in the right direction. I bought a great book "Alaska fishing" that had great info on all major species in Alaska. It was wrote by Gunnar Peterson and Rene Liemeres (Mispelled). The later of the two is a contributing writer for "Fish Alaska" magazine. I went to Fish Alaska magazine's website and searched their back issues and found 6 or so with great info on silvers and bows. That is the main two species I will be targeting on the Goodnews this coming August. I would be willing to bet you could go to their website and find some great articles on the area you are going and certainly some articles on fly fishing for kings. The back issues are about $7/each and I had them in about 4 days. I also have been on a form www.alaskaflyfish.net adn there is a ton of info there. Lots of knowledgable people on there and lots of active users. I have gained great insights into my upcoming trip from people there. I went to the search feature and searched key words for old posting and got a ton of info. When I found someone who showed good insight or had been fishing in the area of interest, I sent them a private message and all have replied with very valuable information/insights. If you do this, on the search page where you put a word in the blank, below it it will give you the option to search postings or replies. Be sure to select replies as that pull up alot more information. Great forum with lots of info,pictures, and fly information. My wife is on the front of the homepage currently holding a nice 8-9 lb dolly she got this past August up on the Kugururok (lower Noatak trib). Great source of info here. Another great fly fishing book "Top Water" is highly recommended. Tons of info on all the salmon and trout in Alaska. It is exclusively about fly fishing Alaska. Lots of info on flies and how to fish them and tons of great color photos. I highly recommend this book to anyone fly fishing in Alaska. It helped me a ton. Hope this helps.

Mt. View Sports Center in Anch. Worldwide Angler in Anch or The Fly Shop on Line or call them. The Fly Shop is in Ca. but the fish the west coast of Alaska all the time.

Default fly tiers

we tie our own flies for ak trips but have never tried kings before. i see lots of articles on flies for other salmon but not much on kings. the fly sizes & types change when their in fresh water which adds to the selection problems of both fly & hook size. i'd really like to hook up with some1 that has been there & fished them.

Check your pm

Default Don't use flies much anymore, but....

back in the day we used to use a simple coho fly usually in blue over white or red over white. They were pretty productive in the Deshka back in the 80's....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Fly Patterns

I've used the Purple Death http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.co...rpledeath.html
    I've done well in Chartreuse with a silver wing.

Default PM

See your PM.

I fish the Parks Hwy streams mostly in the Matanuska Valley. I have been very successful with leech patterns. The dark colors work well depending on water conditions. The fat freddy works well also.

A Muddler Minnow works down here.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

I use size 1/0 bunny flies on saltwater hooks if the fish are aggressive orange and chartruse is my favorite combo. If the fish are pressured or the water is low I nymph with size 6ish green butt skunks, skykomish sunrises, sparkle shrimp, or other small steelhead flies. Never overlook the size 8 egg sucking leech.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default THE King Fly

The Purple Death as mentioned by fishnowork is my #1 fly for kings in any situation! Follow his link and tie as many as you can. I have nevr been skunked on kings since I starte fishing this fly. If you don't tie this fly, then you are shooing yourself in the leg amigo!