Thread: SE 5 day float... Where would you go?

Default SE 5 day float... Where would you go?

I am planning a 5 day packraft fishing expedition with a buddy in SE. Any suggestions for a destination? I was hoping for at least 15-20 river mi.s and some great fishing (mid-august).

I was thinking the Unuk or Chickamin. But anyplace that has great fishing for Silvers and rainbow/char/Cutt.s is definately on the menu.

Wouldn't mind lots of good fly water with a few class II (III maybe), just for grins. Thought we would take packrafts so we are not tied to the river, incase there ends up being some lakes or trib.s that need a fly thrown at them. Does anybody have any suggestions for good destinations. Was hoping to fly out of KTN, but anyplace in SE is fair game.

Also, There is a river that drains into Big Branch just off the backside of Deer Lk. on Baranof. Does anyone know anything about this river? Care to share? I couldn't even find a name for it.

One of the possibilities I've considered is to climb up into Deer lake, spend 2 days fishing to the west side, then bailing off the spine to said "No Name" river and float out to Big Branch (maybe hit some lakes on the way out.

I'm thinking a Mid Aug. launch is best, weather is not a consideration, scenery and fish are (fishing being a distant 2nd).

Open to suggestions. Anybody seen anything cool they wanna share or suggest?. I am No impact, so if it's sacred I'll keep it that way.

Thanks for any response

I had a couple of friends float the Unuk in a 14' inflatable, they flew into Canada and floated the river to salt water. I'm not sure how far that is. I've been up the river in a jet for 8-10 miles and depending on the water condition a packraft would be doable. We fly fished during the jet trip in September and it was quite good. (Was fishing for trout).

I've been up the Chickamin only 3-5 miles in a jet. Did very little fishing 'cause we were bear hunting. IMHO I'm not sure if you could get 10 miles up the river to float. Someone else would have to chime in on this one.

Thanks Kingfisher. Were you catching rainbows or Cutts? Were there any salmon in the river worth fishing for (Unuk or Chickamin)? How long of a trip was your friend's float and do you remember where they flew into in Canada?

Have you fished any noteworthy rivers around KTN? The Carroll looks small but interesting.

It was about 12-15 years ago and I really don't remember what we were catching. Both rainbow & cutthroat are in the river. Steelhead and all salmon species run up the Unuk. You just have to hit the right runs. The Ketchikan biologist should be able to answer when the exact runs are. The IGFA world record steelie was caught in salt water at Bell Island which is pretty close to the Unuk and it is guessed it was heading up the Unuk. It was 42lb 3oz and caught in 1970.

I have never fished Carroll Creek so can't answer that one. Most of the streams in Carroll Inlet, George inlet and Thorne Arm will hold steelhead, trout and most salmon species.

The Naha River just north of Ketchikan-flows out of Heckman & Jordan Lake is an excellent fishery plus it has a couple of Forest Service cabins on the lake.

Thanks again Kingfisher. The Naha looks worth considering, too. From the pic.s I have been able to access on the web, the Unuk looks like great scenery and pretty fishy water.

Up the Unuk you'll also get some chances to see moose (small population) and brown bear. It also has some interesting lava formations off the river a bit.

Depending water conditions you could run into possible Class III water.