Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge AK XL 200 Optimax head to head with a 200 Optimax Sport Jet powered boat

Default Wooldridge AK XL 200 Optimax head to head with a 200 Optimax Sport Jet powered boat

The folks at Wooldridge boats have, as you know been doing some load hauling tests recently on thier new AK XL 20ft boat. They have heard the load hauling and fuel consumption reports on the popular 200 Optimax SJ engines, so they decided to build a 20 Alaskan XL with a 200 Merc Optimax OB Jet and test it against a 200 Merc Optimax Sport jet powered brand X boat.
    They are doing the uasual barrells of water and getting MPG and speed numbers on both boats with several loads up to where the boat will not get the load up.

I should get some numbers, pics and a video as well next week.............

I would have to lean towards the Sport Jet coming out on top.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    You're probably correct on the engine issue. But either way, if Wooldridge is building it, it will be a good boat that will most likely have the hull kinks ironed out. They usually reinforce more in the floor construction when compared to others and do more full length welds then the little stitch welds. It should be interesting to say the least. Can't wait to see the results.

Default sport jet

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Id have to agree

I run the 200 Opti prop on my Alaskan when we do the Koyukuk thing and kept detailed fuel and oil consumption records as well as how fast we can run up and down a river when fully loaded.

Be interesting to see their results with the jet on the same motor and similar boat. So far I have never been able to get enough weight on the boat to make getting on step an issue. We have carried up to two entire moose, 2 hunters, all camping gear and food, etc.
    Tennessee

Default Test

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    The folks at Wooldridge boats have, as you know been doing some load hauling tests recently on thier new AK XL 20ft boat. They have heard the load hauling and fuel consumption reports on the popular 200 Optimax SJ engines, so they decided to build a 20 Alaskan XL with a 200 Merc Optimax OB Jet and test it against a 200 Merc Optimax Sport jet powered brand X boat.
    They are doing the uasual barrells of water and getting MPG and speed numbers on both boats with several loads up to where the boat will not get the load up.

I can tell you the 200 Opti turns 300 more rpm top end than the Etec 200 HO with a power jet and they will also be trying out a decible meter on both boats. The boats are both 2010, 20 ft models brand new.

I've done similar tests, and the Sport Jet prevailed in every category. But, both hulls were similar in design. Plse keep us posted. KT

[QUOTE=sport drifter;647963]I can tell you the 200 Opti turns 300 more rpm top end than the Etec 200 HO with a power jet and they will also be trying out a decible meter on both boats. The boats are both 2010, 20 ft models brand new.[/

Decible meter might confirm what the ears already know. One of the guys in our group runs a 200 Etec and I can say with assurance the Etec does not make anywhere near the noise the Opti does. The Opti has to be the loudest DI motor on the market.
    Tennessee

Decible meter might confirm what the ears already know. One of the guys in our group runs a 200 Etec and I can say with assurance the Etec does not make anywhere near the noise the Opti does. The Opti has to be the loudest DI motor on the market.
    No question I've been in loud Sport Jets. But let's be fair, with an honest effort from the builder, the Sport Jet quiets down nicely.

I have wondered why Wooldridge hasn't yet built an Alaskan XL with a sport jet. I know they would if a customer asked them to.

Sobie2

Default Test results

Here are the results from Grant at Wooldridge.

Wooldridge Boats has seen, over the past few years, ads stating that the sportjet powered boats haul more weight and go faster than anything in their class. We know that the Outboard Jet gives many more options with power and repower, besides having lots more room for cargo and seating and it is quieter.

We were unaware of any actual test, so to answer the question for ourselves of the sportjet’s abilities, we decided to do a test, a side-by-side comparison. We used a new 20’ Brand X sportjet powered boat for comparison.

We put a 200hp Mercury Optimax outboard jet on our 20’ AK XL , thus using the same motor as the sportjet. We know that in addition to great handling and extreme shallow water performance, the AK XL is a load hauler.

The test took place on Lake Washington. The loads hauled are purely for test and comparison.

Grant Wooldridge

Wooldridge Boats Inc.

Sport Jet AK XL
    750LBS
    RPM MPH db RPM MPH db
    3500 9 100 3500 22.4 97
    4000 22 102 4000 28.6 99
    4500 30.2 103 4500 33.2 100
    5000 35.1 105 5000 38.4 101
    5600 41.2 110 5400 42.2 101

2,240LBS
    RPM MPH db RPM MPH db
    4000 9.5 102 4000 15.6 99
    4500 14.6 103 4500 28.9 100
    5000 31.6 105 5000 34.8 101
    5600 37.4 110 5400 39 101

3,725LBS
    RPM MPH db RPM MPH db
    3500 7.3 100 3500 8.3 97
    4000 8.5 102 4000 9.4 99
    4500 9.3 103 4500 11.1 100
    5000 11.6 105 5000 32 101
    5600 15.4 110 5400 35.3 101

They quit the test when the SJ would not get up the 3725 and they have already hauled 4200 with a 200 Etec, and this merc turns 300 more top end rpm, so it may have hauled more.

there are more factors than are being tested.....the most important is the impeller/sleeve condition and combination.... also how the load was positioned in the boat makes a difference with stepping.....

I have personally stepped 3700+ pounds in an inboard 200 Opti...30+mph upriver on GPS on the Talkeetna at 5200 to 5400 RPM....

my load was 42 bags of concrete @90 lbs each
    misc lumber
    myself
    178 qt cooler full of crap
    full tank of gas....
    and all the other junk that is stored on the boat (anchor, tools, etc)
    and Im pretty sure the boat itself weighed more than the Wooly

I hauled 4 similar loads that day...no issue....there were 3 other inboard 200 Opti's out there too....none of us had issues hauling and stepping the weight
    I'm not sure what to think of the report...it sounds like bashing but I know it's not.. the Wooldridge's are great, I'd love to have one, but they can't claim that they haul 15%+ more weight....on that day with those boats and their condition perhaps....

I wonder how the Wooldridge would perform with the SJ installed....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Test

Both boats were brand spanking new when tested. I think they had one 55 behind the windshield, this is all they had room for and the rest up front.

Both boats were brand spanking new when tested.
    that supports my comment about the impeller/sleeve condition....pretty poor tolerances brand new....

concrete, cinder blockc, 20' lumber...etc....and I didn't even haul the heaviest loads...

I just want to be clear...I truly appreciate your WB updates...they are very informative and I enjoy reading them and gandering at the pictures....this report, however, is very very misleading....
    pull my finger....

Default Interesting comparison..........

But leaves we looking for more info also....
    I like the Woolys, a lot.
    I have never been a SJ fan (I appreciate what they can do), and it is commonly accepted that a OB jet gives up some 30% and a IB 10-15%...With that being said its hard to understand why the OB would carry more weight?
    Hull design? maybe? Grant did not indicate what brand SJ, and most SJ boat designs appear similar and are generally noted for load carrying abilities?
    So Sport Drifter, can you get us more info?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I talked with Glen a little bit about this, and Todd nor Wooldridge is going to give the model of SJ boat it was compared against...I begged for the info.

The hull design I think is what's making the difference. When I was in the market for a lightweight IB Sportjet shallow running boat, there were 3 options...the SeaArk Predator, the Jetcraft XS and the Sportjon. I went with the Sportjon, but they all would have fit the bill.

Now there's the TJ Denali and the Riddle boat that would compete for my choice. What this test is showing me is that if a guy was in that market looking for that type of boat, you'd have to throw the XL outboard into the ring.

Question

I'm can only guess the Sport Jet pump failed to load. 5600 RPM on a brand new power head tells me the pump is ventilating or cavitating. I've seen tunneled Sport Jets fail to plane if there was a mild to heavy chop on the lake.

There's where an OB could trim down and load the pump. Advantage OB pump.

As stated earlier, Wooly is a great company & builds one fine boat. The honest test would be the "nameless" manufacturer operating his Sport Jet craft and Wooly operating their OB craft.

Wouldn't the honest test be a sportjet in the wooly compared to the wooly with an outboard. Same boat, same everything, except type of jet.

Default XL Loads

Last summer I put my new XL to the test. I had thirteen adults in my boat, 40 gallons of fuel. misc. supplies. I estimated my weight to be over 3K. I'm running a 150 E-Tec. I was pleased how easily it got on step and ran to our fishing hole. I'm truly impressed with this hull.
    Last edited by Hamster; 01-14-2010 at 15:28. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Wouldn't the honest test be a sportjet in the wooly compared to the wooly with an outboard. Same boat, same everything, except type of jet.
    yes it would, however, I think they were trying to test the Wolly package against brand X SJ package...

If the Wolly hull can compensate for the loss of power in the outboard then you'd get the best of both worlds, load hauling ability and tons of room inside....I'm far from an expert but I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that the SJ should put out more power then the OB...I think Wooly is saying that their boat can do more with an OB than brand X can do with a SJ....

SportDrifter, correct me if Im wrong....

fair to say, any boat that runs 30mph with 4K lbs is more than most will ever use.......now where's that vid you mentioned SD?...I'm getting antsy...
    pull my finger....

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast