Thread: Kenai and Kasilof 2009 harvest

Default Kenai and Kasilof 2009 harvest

ADF&G told me today that the PU fishery at Kenai took 370,000 sockeye. At Kasilof 73,000 sockeye in the dip net fishery and about 30,000 in the set net fishery. So in total the PU harvest is nearly 500,000 fish (rounded up for ease).

I am not sure this is sustainable given the issues we have discussed here. So I hope that we find a new funding mechanism for the PU fishery to deal with habitat and infrastructure needs. ADF&G sport fish division is not doing it.

This link will take you to the 2009 harvest estimates so everyone can at least have the actual personal use harvest and effort information during subsequent discussions.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...ipuHarvest.cfm

Default thanks

Thanks for the link. I was told 370 k for Kenai but it looks like 340k. The other figures appear close to the total harvest is around 440 k for sockeye.

Thumbs up Yes we need results

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    ... ADF&G sport fish division is not doing it.
    I'd like to think that the discussions that have started and are going on will make differences. Or, it might be that I'm dreaming; I hope not.

But you're right in that it ain't done until its done.

Default your right

I want to remain positive but when I talk to them I get nowhere and now because of a potential plan to have a dip net permit with a fee so we can tackle these problems I am hearing some opposition from ADF&G because it reduces license sales for sport fish. Yet I and others designed the program so that does not happen but the PU is the step child of ADF&G Sport Fish Division. Maybe AKtally can tell us how much they spent protection habitat at Kasilof this past year - or the past five years.

At Kenai the city pays for a group to clean the beaches - at Kasilof nothing. At Kenai the city pays for dune protection - at Kasilof the State pays nothing. At Kenai the city pays for police and emergency services - at Kasilof the State may send a trooper down once and he leaves immediately.

At Kenai the city pays for trash collection - at Kasilof the State pays nothing to my knowledge.

At Kenai the city pays for fish gut removal - at Kasilof the State pays nothing.

At Kenai the annual cost of management of the fishery is around 200k per year - what does the State pay for Kasilof?

So if I am hard on the State it is because they continue to ignore the issue and when some of us try to get a permit in fee schedule in place to help out we get negative comments or lip service. So I am from the mid-west on this one - show me the money, show me the money, show me the money!!!!!!!

Default Nerka, patience me boy....

With everyone that has been contacted, let us first see what develops. We now have the Governors office involved, so... I know it can be frustrating but you worked for the state before, you gotta know some things take time.
    For everyone out of the loop, Nerka and myself have been stirring a hornets nest, trying to get things to happen for the Kasilof and Kenai, habitat protection wise. We have dragged in other orgs. that possibly can help and have been talking with politicions, to boot. More updates when things gel a little harder. Until then... go forth and prosper young men !!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default agreed

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    With everyone that has been contacted, let us first see what develops. We now have the Governors office involved, so... I know it can be frustrating but you worked for the state before, you gotta know some things take time.
    For everyone out of the loop, Nerka and myself have been stirring a hornets nest, trying to get things to happen for the Kasilof and Kenai, habitat protection wise. We have dragged in other orgs. that possibly can help and have been talking with politicions, to boot. More updates when things gel a little harder. Until then... go forth and prosper young men !!
    I agree. Just frustration showing with something that has been ongoing for 20 years or more.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you worked for the state before, you gotta know some things take time
    WELL HELLL i know the answer to that one...

no one at the state is responcible for what THE state does...was why i quit my state j o b any way... and it made me feel good to tell the forman..

i am leaving cause MY THUMB don't fit in my a@@...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up keep stirring...

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Nerka and myself have been stirring a hornets nest, trying to get things to happen for the Kasilof and Kenai, habitat protection wise.
    Thanks for all your efforts, both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    ADF&G told me today that the PU fishery at Kenai took 370,000 sockeye. At Kasilof 73,000 sockeye in the dip net fishery and about 30,000 in the set net fishery. So in total the PU harvest is nearly 500,000 fish (rounded up for ease).

I am not sure this is sustainable given the issues we have discussed here. So I hope that we find a new funding mechanism for the PU fishery to deal with habitat and infrastructure needs. ADF&G sport fish division is not doing it.
    Nerka
    I am an outsider but i cant believe what is tolerated in Alaska. Clearly in my mind the fishery is not treasured by many. When i saw the carnage at the Kenai and all the trash and trespassing and being pigs it was VERY clear that was not the case. What you have up there is so valuable and precious i dont think anyone will really realize how much so untill its gone. Then there will be a lot of crying and moaning. Alaskans should not tolerate any thing but the best for the fishery. You are correct ASF&G is not getting it done. If it were they would start cleaning it up. first by putting some uniforms on the river and start writing some substantial tickets with loss of dipnet privliges for 5 years.

Default Future

Don't worry fellas, it will all work out. In 5-10 years the oil for the pipeline will dry up to the point it'll be shut down and no gas pipeline will exist to draw a few more jobs. This on top of no new oil exploration, or mining thanks to Environmental Lawsuits from outside "Green" Groups will lead to massive job loss and depopulation of Alaska. This will greatly reduce the human pressure on both the Kenai and Kasilof fisheries.

You'll see it will all work itself out. The days of unlimited growth, PFD checks, and good paying jobs will be gone...........but by dang we'll have some good fishing! I for one can 't wait.