Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet preference for AK. Griz with 375 H&H.

Default Bullet preference for AK. Griz with 375 H&H.

I am trying to get a consensus of bullet make and weight for the grizzly bear. This would be for a 375 H&H. Between the guides and hunters on this site, I may get reasonable sample size.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Barnes

270gr TSX, after shot placement...I would go heavier but it kicks more and I'm not as accurate with heavier bullets
    In the Bush

just about any of them are more than fine for grizzly. i don't think i've seen a bad 375 bullet put into a grizz. controled exspansion with a soft point is nice with that caliber. i swear by the barnes xxx for everything else but the .375 i've seen good stuff with noslers, trophy bonded and swift A frames. if i was packin' one, those are what i'd be shooting.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I suspect that the 270 gr is the most popular but due to the sectional density - all else being equal - the 300 gr (in what ever flavor you favor) is prob a better choice especially as far a penetration is concerned. Personal opinion: if they are accurate in your gun, it is difficult to surpass the performance of the Barnes TSX.

Default Swift A frame

The Swift A frame has always done a great job for my guide friends and I. We bought 1,500 of them to do a little shooting with. Great fun.
    Gerberman

My go to for my 375s have been 300 grain Barnes TSX. That or 300 grain Swift A Frames should be perfect.

Brett

Well, I don't have a .375 H&H, but all the people I know who have this caliber rifle, use the old reliable factory 300-grain Partition.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Well, I don't have a .375 H&H, but all the people I know who have this caliber rifle, use the old reliable factory 300-grain Partition.
    Yup. I did a DLP kill last year and hit the bear amidships with two 300 grain Partitions in a Federal Vital-Shok load. Water behind her geysered up into the air after they passed through and as she rolled over a jet of steam could be seen escaping from the entry wound.
    Now what ?

Its darn hard to beat a Nosler Partition. I would go with the 300grn NP.

Default 300 grain Nosler Partition

This is the only bullet that I use in my .375. I'm sure there are other bullets that work just as well and maybe better, but I have had great success with this bullet so I think that I'll stick with it. Plus my gun seems to like it.
    Last edited by AK Troutbum; 01-09-2010 at 10:31. Reason: P

My first choice is the 270gr TSX. That's what I used to take my brown bear. It worked perfectly, and I'd use the same load again without hesitation.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    My first choice is the 270gr TSX. That's what I used to take my brown bear. It worked perfectly, and I'd use the same load again without hesitation.
    Dan
    Last one I shot was with the 270gr X... TSX has only got to be more of the same. One before was 300gr X and I am not nearly as fond of the heavier Barnes bullets.
    art

For sure not the Winchester SilverTip

geez and i hunt griz with a 30-06 or a .300 win mag! 180 grain corelokts! haha guess im crazy

Release Lake Trout

95%+ of the time a well placed 180 gr 30 cal bullet will get the job done for a griz/BB. It's just that I don't want to experience that other 5% and I am not real clear when that 5% is going to occur - person preference.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    95%+ of the time a well placed 180 gr 30 cal bullet will get the job done for a griz/BB. It's just that I don't want to experience that other 5% and I am not real clear when that 5% is going to occur - person preference.
    If you're using premium bullets it will occur when you shoot it in the wrong place, but the same can be said for a .338, .375, or .416. That said my pick would be a .375, but I wouldn't hardly be scared motherless if I did it with my .325!

I'm taking a quote from Phil Shoemaker from another forum about a similar question on what to use for brown bears. Here's his advice:

"In my opinion the most important issues to consider when selecting a rifle for an Alaskan brown bear hunt are
    #1 - familiarity and competence with the rifle
    #2 - bullet selection ( TSX, Partition, A-Frame, North Fork, GS and Trophy bonded are all superb)
    #3 - caliber ( anything from 30-06 thru .375)"

This coming from a guy who has guided them for decades and has shot them with guns from .458 to .30-06.

Brett

Default Jack O'Connor and Frank Glaser

I seem to recall that Jack O'Connor's preference of bear load was the 180 grain 30-06 load over the 200 grain load because of better trajectory.
    Frank Glaser, on the other hand, preferred a 200 grain 30-06 load for grizzly/brown bear.
    I doubt if anyone had more "hands-on" practical experience than Frank Glaser.

My own preferrence is the 375 H&H Mag with the Barnes 270 grain TSX.
    Very accurate and flat shooting. I haven't had opportunity to take a brown bear with it though so I guess it remains untested as far as terminal performance goes. I did knock off a Dall ram at nearly 300 yards with it about three years ago. Now thats what I call a versatile rifle/cartridge combination. Adequate trajectory for sheep but plenty of punch for the big bears.
    Obviously, the same thing is true of the good ole 30-06 and the 180 grain bullet. I love the 375, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a 30-06 with a good bullet.
    Last edited by Persistent1; 01-10-2010 at 15:54. Reason: One more thing and correct spelling.

Smile

The two I run w/ are the Federal factory-loaded 300 grain 'Power-Shock' (used to be called 'Classic') SP and Premium 'Cape-Shock' Nosler Partition. Both are up to the task... In my rifles, both shoot close POI at 100 yards by same POA under like conditions... deliver plenty of punch, penetration, and hold-together reliability.

I have also tried the 'Trophy-Bonded Bear Claw' (old and new) at normal and high-energy loadings. Accuracy was off with both loads in my rifles. Tho' bullets ended up looking text-book (perfect mushroom, legible T on the base, seaming to be of near 100% weight retention) I find that the Nosler Partition preformed more instantaneous knock-down and have successful experiences with less expensive SP working great as well.

One thing on .375 H&H Federal factory Loads - They always go bang, load and eject flawlessly, made of reliable components, dependable ignition, and offer excellent downrange performance for hunting anything in Alaska.

The .375 H&H is very versatile with 300 Grain loads. While the 260 Accubond and 270 Copper projectiles are of intrigue... For me, I just see little necessity to go there unless that becomes of primary interest.

To add: Know the firearm, know the cartridge, know the critter... taste the success.

Default Bullets for 375 H&H

Thanks to all for your input. These posts are interesting to read.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Thanks to all for your input. These posts are interesting to read.
    Does it mean that now you have no idea of which bullet to use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast