Thread: 338 marlin express?

Smile 338 marlin express?

ok yall one thing and ill quit askin dumb questions. think ive decided on a gun .marlin lever action 338 express ss,syn stock .ok what do yall think of my choice for all around gun .i can use in alabama ,when i come to alaska.let me know yea ,nea s. also had ? about the weight of the gun . thanks yall

If I had $700 bucks laying around, I'd buy one today. That's one sleek, well-balanced weepon.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Unless you handload I would get a 35 rem. Some of the Marlin rounds may not be around forever. Example is the Winchester in 307,356 and 375. Winchester built the guns and made the ammo but it didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Unless you handload I would get a 35 rem. Some of the Marlin rounds may not be around forever. Example is the Winchester in 307,356 and 375. Winchester built the guns and made the ammo but it didn't last long.
    Got to agree with AW on this. I am a gun nut, but I've yet to see one. Of course this comes from a guy that lives in a town that just got cell phone service in November, so maybe I am just way behind the curve.

It's probably a great round and rifle, but ammo availability is going to be an issue, if it's not already, and if Hornady quits making Flex Tip bullets in .338 it is going to be a hard round for handloaders to feed and get any external or terminal ballistic gains over common existing rounds IMO.

Default 338

ok ive looked .but couldnt find my answer.so another-du on me .the 338 express ?is it different then other 338s thought it was just the load ?same gun in 308 i think .thats the case wright .would i be better just to get say 30-06.never thought bout amo issue .just asumed 338 had be around for awhile as far as acsess.inless the 338 express was dif.shew confusen.just want to buy 1 multie use gun that i can depend on ,shoot well.i have arem 700 bought new .dont care much for it can shoot real well with it but dont like the gun heavy ,bolt action seems crap.

The 338 Marlin is built for the Marlin L/A guns but other lever guns may be built for it. It is not like any of the other 338 except for bullet size.If you want a bolt action type round in a lever gun look at the Browning BLR

Default ? see if i got it .

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The 338 Marlin is built for the Marlin L/A guns but other lever guns may be built for it. It is not like any of the other 338 except for bullet size.If you want a bolt action type round in a lever gun look at the Browning BLR
    so lets see if i buy a marlin 338 express .that means the only amo i can shoot is 338 express. or is there other 338 type amo i can buy ?i looked at amo for sale they had 4-5 different types or are they just diferent brands .i guess thats realy my ?.ok say like my 223 varment gun any 223 will work .just different brands .sorry for ramblen i cant wright what im wanting to know. ok 338 is all of them the same case as say 338 express. just dif powder n bullet . shew

Default Correct

The ONLY ammo available for it is marketed for marlin by hornaday. If the 338 marlin ammo dies so does your rifle.
    The brass for this round isn't made from any normal cartridge that's available and so even making your own brass wouldn't be an option.
    It's a nice L/A rifle but it's sales are unproven. I'ld try a 358 win, or 338 federal or a 35 Rem if i wanted a medium bore L/A rifle.
    Just my .02
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by mountainboy View Post
    so lets see if i buy a marlin 338 express .that means the only amo i can shoot is 338 express.
    Yes, you can only use 338 Marlin Express ammo in the Marlin 338 Marlin Express rifle, and I believe that only Hornady is loading it right now. It is a very different cartridge from other commerical .338s such as the 338 Federal, 338/06 A-Square, 338 Winchester Magnum, 340 Weatherby Magnum, 38 Remington Ultra Magnum, 338-378 Weatherby Magnum. These all use a similar bore diameter but the cartridges are different.

Default ok thanks

scrap the 338express idea .thanks yall better now than laiter i was fixen to ---- up .thank yall very much for saven me say 700$ .i owe yall one .

Well,what they say is true about the Hornady 338 Marlin Express being the only one on the market now.

That didn't stop me from buying the gun last year,a gun that is hard to come by.

It took me about 3 months to buy 500 rounds for it and Hornady has since released the dies for it along with everything needed to reload your own.

I love the gun and I'm glad I bought it.

Look here to learn a little more before you count it out,as all of the above post could have been said about every caliber ever made.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...oard,60.0.html

None of the various 338 caliber cartridges interchange with each other. 338 Win Mag won't interchange with 338Federal, etc. The 223 remington doesn't interchange with other 223 caliber cartridges like the 22-250, 222, 220 swift, all of which are the same caliber.
    I have a friend that picked up a Marlin in 338 Express & loves it. I shot it & other than a stiff trigger it was a sweetheart. If I liked "small bores" I'd probably have one.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Yes, you can only use 338 Marlin Express ammo in the Marlin 338 Marlin Express rifle, and I believe that only Hornady is loading it right now. It is a very different cartridge from other commerical .338s such as the 338 Federal, 338/06 A-Square, 338 Winchester Magnum, 340 Weatherby Magnum, 38 Remington Ultra Magnum, 338-378 Weatherby Magnum. These all use a similar bore diameter but the cartridges are different.

Rem loads the 308ME so the 338ME should follow soon. Hopefully