Thread: Tape over ported gun barrel?

Default Tape over ported gun barrel?

I recently purchased a rifle with a ported barrel. I have placed electricians tape over the end of a regular barrel.

Does anyone have experience doing that with a ported barrel? What effect does if have ifyou wrap up the ported area as well?

Thanks

AK Flyster

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

use a small finger condom and no effect at all.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Use the same tape and tape the ported part too. It all blows off and doesn't affest a thing.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

A small piece of electrical tape over the end of the barrel and over the ports wouldn't effect anything. But just a single strip, I don't think I would put too much on. We always put some over the barrel and then put another strip somewhere else up the barrel so I always have back up tape in the field.

tape it all and forget it, you won't have any problems.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default barrel taping

Been "taping" for years and works great. I would in addition recommend degreasing the barrel where the tape will go. I also keep enough tape stuck to the stock for one or two "redos". I used the "finger cot" method once but it kept coming off in the alders and the barrel tip rusted under the cot. You can also tape ported barrels and muzzle brakes. The pressure wave that precedes the bullet down the barrel blows off the tape and has no adverse effect on the accuracy of the bullet that follows - I have read about only one exception to this and it was a consequence of the manner in which the barrel was taped.

I heavily tape all muzzles in the field including my lone ported rifle (Guide Gun). As everyone else has stated the tape just gets blown off and has no effect on accuracy. I have seen rifle slings break and muzzles end up stuck in the mud. When that happens you will be glad you have taped up.

Unhappy

It will blow off, On the Ported barrels,tell the guy standing next to you, spotting for you that there might be some stuff flying his way.Or it will scare the crap out of him when you fire one off. Don,t ask how i know this

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    I recently purchased a rifle with a ported barrel. I have placed electricians tape over the end of a regular barrel.

Does anyone have experience doing that with a ported barrel? What effect does if have ifyou wrap up the ported area as well?

Thanks

AK Flyster
    All you need is a small bag of mini balloons. Yes, the same ones kids fill with water and hit each other with Then take a medium size marker (Sharpie), stick it inside a balloon, and roll the balloon over itself (it looks like a condom when you are done with it). Just take this "rifle condom," and roll it out over the rifle's muzzle. I have done this for years now, on my rifle, of course, and carry a small plastic bag full of these "rifle condoms." Just don't forget to buy short mini balloons.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Wal, I never had a port to tape, and probably wouldn't bother if I did.

I use one strip of tape over the end of the barrel, when I hunt or carry a rifle, and when I've shot, it doesn't blow off. The bullet goes through it.

Maybe it's the air that makes the hole, I dunno, but I figger it's the bullet.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up Use it, but check it...

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post

Thanks

AK Flyster
    I've been doing it for 20 years. Like everyone has mentioned, it blows off and doesn't affect accuracy at all. The only thing you might be aware of is that with rifle condoms or tape, condensation/moisture can/will seep into the tape layers or under the balloon if continuously in a wet environment. Every couple of days or so in wet conditions, especially if you haven't fired a round through it, redoit and check for rust/spotting. Even on stainess steel.

I also tape when hunting in wet conditions. A small balloon works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    use a small finger condom and no effect at all.
    ..................nope-tried that, Vince.........

-I still ended up with five kids........
    -lol-

Default If you find tape that DOES affect the bullet, gases or port function...

I'll take a roll of that tape.

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ..................nope-tried that, Vince.........I still ended up with five kids........
    -lol-