Thread: 5 day packraft/fishing in se

Default 5 day packraft/fishing in se

I am planning a 5 day packraft fishing expedition with a buddy in SE. Any suggestions for a destination?

I was thinking the Unuk or Chickamin. But anyplace that has great fishing for Silvers and rainbow/char/Cutt.s is definately on the menu.

Wouldn't mind lots of good fly water with a few class II (III maybe), just for grins. Thought we would take packrafts so we are not tied to the river, incase there ends up being some lakes or trib.s that need a fly thrown at them.

Also, There is a river that drains into Big Branch just off the backside of Deer Lk. on Baranof. Does anyone know anything about this river? Care to share?

One of the possibilities I've considered is to climb up into Deer lake, spend 2 days fishing to the west side, then bailing off the spine to said "No Name" river and float out to Big Branch (maybe hit some lakes on the way out.

I'm thinking a Mid Aug. launch is best, weather is not a consideration, beauty and fish are (fishing being a distant 2nd).

Open to suggestions. Anybody seen anything cool they wanna share or suggest?. I am No impact, so if it's sacred I'll keep it that way.

Thanks

Default Honker Divide Canoe Route

Honker Divide Canoe Route, Prince of Wales Island
    I have never done this route but it would be worth considering and researching more. The only issue is that the first part of the route is paddling upstream, which is why it is a canoe route. How fast is that water? Depends on the rain. But if you are giving yourself 5 days I think its doable if you walk up the gravel bars.

Beauty...it is highly regarded for this. The route cuts through the middle of the island the where logger's saw never touched. Giant pumpkin sitka spruce still stand along this route. Tons of fish, in fact the smell of rotten salmon might make you gag. That also means plenty of bears! Anyway, there is plenty of info about this route on google. It may not be the best option but its worth researching.

Thanks Alex. I'm checking it out right now. I thought I was settled on a Unuk River Float from the border to Burroughs. Now it looks like I'll have to save a bit more for that before I can try it. The Charter to the Border is what's killing my budget. I'm going to see if the Honker Divide has a "Jump Off" point that can be driven to. I'm OK with the upstream 1st leg because we will be using packrafts. So if it becomes too much of a PIA then we'll hike for a ways (if that's an option).

"I love the smell of rotting salmon flesh in the morning. Smells like.... Opportunity!"

Default Deer Lake trout

Don't know anything about that river (creek?) that flows into upper Big Branch Bay. Could be one of those epic ventures following it from Deer Lake to the ocean. Got to admit it's grabbed my curiosity though.

Deer Lake has big rainbows in it. Northern Southeast Regional Aquaculture Assoc. (NSRAA) has a coho rearing operation on it (google it). The lake is fertilized to aid smolt production, and the rainbow trout benefit from both the increased primary production and the zillions of little salmon in the lake. To learn more about the un-named river, you might try contacting the guys at NSRAA. The would routinely fly over it on their way to Deer Lake from Sitka.

tsiutoo,
    hey, thanks for the heads up on the name of the aquaculture firm on deer lk. I will see if they know anything about the no-name creek. I have to figure out how to get from sitka to deer lake without breaking the bank, and then get from Big Branch back to sitka again, also with out breaking the bank. I calculate roughly 15-20 miles of creek back there that looks relatively untouched. It's making my mouth water.

Default Big Branch Odessey

I have spent more time in the Deer Lake area than most. It is beautiful there and the rainbows can get big, 13 pounds or bigger, but are rare and difficult to catch, 2-5lbs would be more likely and 10 lbs is my best. I have always wanted to hike out the Big Branch, looking for bear instead of fish though. It is actually a fairly small stream and does not look like it would be that great of a float, I was thinking of using waders and bring a raft to float a heave hide if need be. I have hiked into the head of the valley before and going through the saddle is not the way, over the ridge on the south side is the way. I don't really know how far fish can get up the creek but I don't think it is very far. The lakes out the way would be quite a bit of work to get to and I don't think they hold much fish either.

If you want more information let me know by PM.

That's pretty strange!