Thread: ferry a C-185

Default ferry a C-185

a guy contacted me to ferry a C 185 from KJOT to a small city in eastern Mass, I didn't get the feeling he wanted to pay much but if there is someone out there W/ tailwheel time and needs to build some hours PM me and I'll put you in touch with him. I don't know him or anything about him so go from there. Tom

Hi, Tom,

I contacted the C-185 guy, gave him some of my credentials, and asked him where those two identifiers are located. I'm not all that familiar with eastern Canada or Mass, either. So far, no response.

Have a good one . . . . .

Mort Mason

KJOT

Facility Name:
    JOLIET RGNLCity Name: JOLIETCounty: WILLState abbrev: ILState Name: ILLINOIS Ownership: PUBLICLY OWNEDUse: OPEN TO THE PUBLICOwner's Name: JOLIET PARK DISTRICTAddress: 4000 W JEFFERSON JOLIET, IL 60435Owner's Phone: 815-741-7275 Manager's Name: BILL REUTERAddress: 4000 W JEFFERSON JOLIET, IL 60435Phone: 815-741-7267 FAA Region: GREAT LAKESFAA Field Office: CHI
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    KJOT

Facility Name: JOLIET RGNLCity Name: JOLIETCounty: WILLState abbrev: ILState Name: ILLINOIS Ownership: PUBLICLY OWNEDUse: OPEN TO THE PUBLICOwner's Name: JOLIET PARK DISTRICTAddress: 4000 W JEFFERSON JOLIET, IL 60435Owner's Phone: 815-741-7275 Manager's Name: BILL REUTERAddress: 4000 W JEFFERSON JOLIET, IL 60435Phone: 815-741-7267 FAA Region: GREAT LAKESFAA Field Office: CHI
    APPRECIATE IT !!! THANX,

Mort

Default Grizzly 1 - C-185 Ferry

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    a guy contacted me to ferry a C 185 from KJOT to a small city in eastern Mass, I didn't get the feeling he wanted to pay much but if there is someone out there W/ tailwheel time and needs to build some hours PM me and I'll put you in touch with him. I don't know him or anything about him so go from there. Tom
    Hi, Tom,

I've been in e-mail contact with "Agosto DaSilva," the chap who wants the C-185 ferried from Joliet to Southbridge, Main. Naturally, it takes a little time to put such a flight together, since I'm currently in Florida and don't have (a) the pertinent charts, (b) the Flight Guides for that neck of the woods, and so forth.

I've suggested to him that it would be much cheaper to find someone local so that air fare back and forth from Florida wouldn't be a factor. The same goes for lodging and meals along the way up north. I notice, too, that it's time for my fresh BFR.

In the meantime, I'd like to know who I'm dealing with, if possible. If you know who this gentleman is, please let me know. I'm moving ahead on this end, but if he's in a real hurry, he really should look for a pilot closer to home.

Thanks for anything you can tell me about this owner. Is he already a pilot, or does he plan to learn in the C-185 (which is quite an undertaking for a non-flier)? Or has he just bought the airplanle and isn't qualified for it yet?

Thanks for any help you might give me . . . . .

Mort Mason

Default Hi Mort

Hi Mort , I don't know this guy, I only had email contact with him and didn't want to do the flight and thought I would pass on his info for anybody that could do the flight, sorry , Tom

The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

Okay, thanks. I think I'll get the C-185 certification number from this guy and run a check on it. This whole arms-length thing is leaving me just a little off balance.

Not your fault, and I certainly won't blame you if this is some sort of scam. But, I really am getting nervous about it . . . . .

Low and Slow,

Mort

Default $$$$

Deposit the funds and wait until they show in your account. If they don't it is a crime to pass bad checks. Also it is interstate commerce so it should fall to the Feds but I doubt they will have time for it.

Make sure you have an N number for the 185 and look up and call the owner who is listed on the FAA web page and check the story. Just my $0.02

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Deposit the funds and wait until they show in your account. If they don't it is a crime to pass bad checks. Also it is interstate commerce so it should fall to the Feds but I doubt they will have time for it.

Make sure you have an N number for the 185 and look up and call the owner who is listed on the FAA web page and check the story. Just my $0.02

Drew
    Thanks Drew, I appreciate the advice. My history is filled with examples of my believing the best of everybody. And losing my ass . . . . .

I've e-mailed this guy and requested the N-numbers. We'll see what his reply is.

Low and Slow,

Mort Mason

Default sorry to get this started

Sorry guys, I didn't know this was a scam, Guess I never look for the bad side of thing like Mort. Hope nobody got burned. Tom

Default Nobody got burned

Hey Tom,
    nobody got burned, even in the other posts. After I spoke to you, I contacted the guy but ended up I couldn't make the flight. Sent it to another friend of mine, who's mom found the attachment I sent about the scam.

It was funny, every time I asked for the N number he refused to send it. When I asked who was the insurance company so I could fill out their form, he said it was taken care of, and when asked why he didn't call me he said he had an operation that made it painful for him to talk....hmmmm....
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by headoutdaplane View Post
    Hey Tom,
    nobody got burned, even in the other posts. After I spoke to you, I contacted the guy but ended up I couldn't make the flight. Sent it to another friend of mine, who's mom found the attachment I sent about the scam.

It was funny, every time I asked for the N number he refused to send it. When I asked who was the insurance company so I could fill out their form, he said it was taken care of, and when asked why he didn't call me he said he had an operation that made it painful for him to talk....hmmmm....
    Yeah, Headoutdaplane,

This whole thing seems to be just like a wood watch: it ain't workin'. When I told him he had to put me on his insurance policy, he said it was already done (now, how the hell would he accomplish that?). Then I asked for the registration numbers: haven't heard from the clown since then.

A good deal - - - - - to avoid!

Mort