Thread: What month is best to move to Fairbanks?

Question What month is best to move to Fairbanks?

My wife was told by a contact at UAF the best time cost wise for moving to Fairbanks is in August, or earliest in July, what are your thoughts? I was planning on June and sent my application for a paid internship for that time period. I also wanted the full summer to get situated before the short fall season. Thanks!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

FrozuBURARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and of jan begining of Feb... that way the -50 shell shock is out of the way asap....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

January thru May; experience the breakup and get a good idea of housing locations during that time if you are looking to purchase. Coming in the summer will not get you a good idea of how bad the winter sets into a location.

This year has been week thus far; it's bound to get colder eventually.

I personally moved up in December, allowed me to fully appreciate the winters before getting used to the summer months.

Default Move

I drove up the alcan early May, Worked out fine for me.

Default There isn't one

The sarcastic answer---there is no good month to move to Fairbanks.

I jest--having spent a number of winters there I'm entitled.

You'll enjoy Fairbanks, especially the summers

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    My wife was told by a contact at UAF the best time cost wise for moving to Fairbanks is in August, or earliest in July.
    Do you mean the cost of the move or the cost of rental places? I am not aware that there is a seasonal relationship to shipping cost. I would expect rental property managers might drop their rates to make sure they have places occupied before winter. They might be refering to the lull that happens twice a year with millitary PCS moves at the Fort. Moving companies might be charging more or less when they are in the lull. Not sure at all about that one.

If you show up in mid summer all that midnight sun might crush you with no sleep for weeks at a time. The sun will set behind Birch Hill for an hour or so, but it is still day light. The street lights won't start coming on till mid August. You can foil up the windows if it gets too bad.

If you come up in May you might be able to get in on some good places that students are vacating and the management does not want them empty all summer.