Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best cuting tools?

Talking best cuting tools?

what would yall carry on a hunt?to field dress and or camp or survival if needed.im gueesing -knife -axe .so on

I carry a filet knife, a decent quality skinning knife (right now a fixed blade Benchmade) and a havalon piranta knife. I also carry a Leatherman everyday, so I take it hunting too. If I am looking for the lightest weight setup you really only need a havalon piranta. For moose I also carry a fine tooth wood saw to cut horns and skull cap off. For all other critters I just carry back the whole skull.

My buddies often laugh at me (until they need it) that I carry a machete every where I go. I know how to sharpen it razor sharp and it's super handy for camp chores and hacking trails. I can easily cut 2" alders in one swing..and it's super handy for clearing grass and crap around camp.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Doubtful

I doubt you'll get a very good insight into what your seeking.
    There are as many ways to get around in AK as there are methods and animals to hunt.
    You pack light in the mountains !! Hunting on foot is different still. There are people who hunt off ATVs, Sno machines, use boats, planes, 4 wheel drives, horse back, Llama packs,dog sled, dog packs.
    Each has it's own weight/size limitations.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Hahaha Doug---them survey roots showing thru again!!!

Yep, that's what that space behind the side pockets on your pack is for..a machete sheath

I got one of those swing blades for a christmas present, I am wondering how good it will work, it seems like an ok setup, the thing I am not so sure about is the durability of it, where the blades hinge seems weak, it also came with a saw. Other than that, I have been carrying a buck 110 for years and it has always got the job done.

For axes, I really like the Gerber axes. They cut extremely well and are light yet tough. I have a review posted on my site.

As for knives, I carry an original Marble's knife. It is handmade and holds an edgevery well. PLus it has history to it. Sadly, they don't seem to make them anymore. From what I can see, they sold the name and design to a chinese company and now they are cheap.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Default Cutting tools

An estwing hatchet, a gerber folding and a buck skinner and a lightweight sharpener.

If I'm not hiking in, a chainsaw with veg oil in it.

v/r

salcha star road

Default Randall

Like the Woodsmans Pal for brush and camp and for knives a Randall #25 trapper....something about Randall knives....theres over a 4 year waiting list to get a new one and there is a reason for it...Ive woke up in the middleof the night dreaming about them Maby its time to find some help
    http://www.randallknives.com/ be carefull....I can take no responsibility for what will happen to you after visiting this website as they are a VERY hard habit to break.
    In the Bush

Default I like the feel of a Bowie

not that I use it much . It's heavy enough to chop wood with and take down small trees. But knives all have a differend Job and that is the fun of having them. like tools,, yes, a crecent wrench will fit most things , but the set of sockets and end wrenches does so much better a job, and it is knowing how to use them effeciently.
    Depending on the event 3 or 4 different knives are along for the ride even if only 2 are used . Of all the servival tools in the wood my knife is third most important. Personally a good prayer life is primarily most important. Second is personal training.
    The hatchet I carry, has a knife in the handle.
    The shovel I carry has a saw in the handle. the shovel doubbles as a grapling hook .
    A skinning knife is burried in the pack, and the bowie on the belt or leg strap.
    My son's knife I made from a file reforged and shaped and my own design saw on the back of the blade, leather and bone stacked handle.

AKdoug, what kind of machete do you use? all ive ever had are cheap ones, and they seem to not last long.

Cheap ones. Ontario knife company makes a good one. I've always been able to find Collins machetes at garage sales or surplus stores, so I have quite a few. Machetes are supposed to be cheap. Resharpen every day.

Take a roofing knife.

You know, the one with the retractable, replaceable blades.

It works great for making the slits up the abdomen and down the legs, and the razor blades are replaced cheaply instead of trying to sharpen them.

I carry a folding gerber gator. Works well for most cutting chores including skinning, cutting through most joints, etc. I just bought a havelon (piranta I think). I haven't used it for anything in the field yet. It looks like it will really perform well though. Before I had this, I carried disposable scalpels. I also have a gerber back pax (the smallest hatchet they make). It is a touch on the small side and I don't bring it on the sheep hunts were I'm really worried about weight.

My hunt on Kodiak last year we brought a machete and boy was that a good idea. It was my first hunt there and it was thick. We improved a well worn trail a bit to where it was much, much easier to get up and down through the alders and high grass. A machette is a must have in my book for any Kodiak hunting I do from now on.

For whacking brush, the Gerber Brush Chopper does a better job than any machete I've used. It'll slice through wrist-sized alders with amazing ease.

For hunting knives, I have several KOA knives. My favorite being their Alpha Wolf in S30V. It's a nice knife, made with great steel, but I can't say it's $90 better than the $5 Victorinox paring knife. The Vic parers are GREAT little hunting knives. They weigh squat, hold an edge, and they are dirt cheap to replace. And, having a little flex in the blade sure makes it easy to harvest backstraps & tenderloins.

I've got a Wyoming saw that I use to saw skull plates/antlers. It works, but I'm sure there's something better out there. The thin blade likes to twist and it's hard to cut a straight line.

Default western W/ gut hook

I carry three knifes so I don't have to stop to sharpen when its getting dark and or bears are around. A western gut hook, buck fixed blade and three bladed browning FDT. Also a wyoming saw W/ wood and bone blades.

Default tools

I always carry the leatherman wave, a wyoming break down saw, a gerber folding, and I love the Havalon piranta for doing all of my detail work.

good topic for winter time! As mentioned above it truly depends on what type of hunting I am doin!
    Mountains= havel knife and my little mini gerber tool along w/ a gerber saw, occasionally my woodmans pal
    ATV for moose= some combo of the above with the addition of an orange handled cutco DD. I also occasionally carry an eastwing ax, and an 18v recip saw w/ a 10" blade. The chainsaw may go too but that is for BIG, LONG trips where firewood may get to be too time consuming.

I don't care for machete's and I hate to sharpen things! In fact the only tool that I have that requires regular sharpening is the woodsmans tool and it is only taken to areas where I know I will need it. The cutco has done a few moose and a bear and it will probably go back for a touch up in 2011 depending on how successful this fall is. The Havel knife just gets a new blade whenever I break one, the folding saws get replaced every few years and the recip gets new blades. The ax hasn't been sharpened in a decade, but since it is 2010 I should probably touch it up so it will be good till 2020, just to keep on schedule...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    ATV for moose. . . I also occasionally carry an eastwing ax, and an 18v recip saw w/ a 10" blade. The chainsaw may go too but that is for BIG, LONG trips where firewood may get to be too time consuming.
    Sounds like we have similar needs LJ. I have a couple of fixed blade knives I carry regularly and it depends on the mood I am in and the intended game. From motorized equipment (read skiff/snow go) I carry the Estwing, and a cordless reciprocating saw everywhere, all the time. If I am camping for more than a few days a small chainsaw also comes along with a splitting maul if there's room. I keep a multi-tool (either a Gerber or SOG) on my belt when I am out. It has saved my bacon more than a few times.

For the actual skinning of a moose (or caribou) I prefer my Buck 105, 5" slender fixed blade, and it will normally skin and quarter an entire moose without a touch-up if I am careful to cut the hide from the inside out while skinning as the hair, dirt and debris will dull the edge fairly quickly.

For small game & deer I prefer my Buck 102, a very slender 4" fixed blade, and find I can skin and cut up several deer without touching up the blade.

I have a Randall Made Model 4 with a 5" blade that I use for general purpose hunting and love it's profile for skinning bears and other fur bearers. It is an excellent knife and would easily be my first choice if I could only have one knife to carry while in the field.

For cutting, butchering, skinning critters, I carry 2 sharp knives, a little steel for touching up the blades if neccessary and a Wyoming Saw. When hunting for sheep I also carry a small caping knife or scalpels for caping/skinning the head. Lately my knives have been custom jobs, from Gene Ingram and David Weston along with a Helle Eggen I got for my birthday. Along with a good rifle, nothing beats a sharp knife that holds it's edge well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast