Thread: Quartz Lake 7 Jan 10

Default Quartz Lake 7 Jan 10

Went to Quartz with my FIL and Pastor who have never been or caught anything through the ice. Well it still stands that way now. Got there late after being the first responder to a auto/moose accident. Started fishing around 1045. I caught a 10" bow right off the bat. My pastor missed 3 bites. And that was it. Left around 3 and headed towards Chena Lakes determined to have them catch a fish. Got there around dark. Drilled 2 holes and got them fishing. I started in with a hand auger to see how long it would take to drill 3 feet(it takes awhile). As soon as I was done drilling I caught the famous 6' bows of chena right off the bat. I ended catching 5 in a few minutes. FIL was getting cold so he quit and my pastor had one to the top of the hole and it got off. Close but no cigar. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Sapper 2-6

Default Wow!

6' Bows huh? Very nice. Good thing I'm moving out there! You down for Harding lake soon? I'm curious to see if there are any lunker lake trout there. Fish on!

Sapper in the Skies

Im down. Dont really have a pole for lake trout though. Might just use a broom handle or something.

two rivers sells a pretty decent custom laker rod for a pretty good price. You can get his info at sportsmens, and also the rod if they have any left.

I dont care for the handle so havent bought one yet... The glass rods are definatly stiff! And for me the cork is to short. I need to hook up with him to make some slight mods to make this a better rod for serious jigging.

I'm going to be headed out there hopefully tomorrow, sunday for sure. Maybe both days . Dunno how the snow is so if you see a black tacoma and a green otter lodge stop by, I'll likely be fishing alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    two rivers sells a pretty decent custom laker rod for a pretty good price. You can get his info at sportsmens, and also the rod if they have any left.

I dont care for the handle so havent bought one yet... The glass rods are definatly stiff! And for me the cork is to short. I need to hook up with him to make some slight mods to make this a better rod for serious jigging.

I'm going to be headed out there hopefully tomorrow, sunday for sure. Maybe both days . Dunno how the snow is so if you see a black tacoma and a green otter lodge stop by, I'll likely be fishing alone.
    Bring Me, Bring Me....
    I miss fishing Quartz this past year, it really is a great fishery if you hit it at the right time. January and February are some pretty tough fishing times out there. What a difference a year makes with fishing locations....

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Broom Handle...hahaha

I've seen the 2 rivers rods at Sportsmans...look like nice rods. I went for some other brand at Frontier Outfitters. Looks pretty **** stout. Had to order some ice braid from Cabelas though cause I don't think a 6 lb test will do too well. Looking forward to going to Harding and fishing some deep stuff! BigCox, that's what you get for bailing on the interior HOWEVER you are MUCH better off down there come May/June. Hey at least you're not in Alabama! Fish On!!!

Sapper in the Skies

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Bring Me, Bring Me....
    I miss fishing Quartz this past year, it really is a great fishery if you hit it at the right time. January and February are some pretty tough fishing times out there. What a difference a year makes with fishing locations....

Fish On!

Yea your not in the ice fishing hot spot for sure big guy but man, your in the spot when spring and summer rolls around. When the ice goes out on watson lake Ill give you a shout. There are some very nice fish there. Ill bring the camper and the raft down and we can kick it for the weekend
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Sapper,

I also picked up a rod at frontier to have around as a backup....havent bothered getting it ready yet lol.

For line I'm using 12 power pro. It does good. It does hold water and air...so on the first couple drops she'll really mess with your flasher lol. It's also small enough diameter that if you have days like we've had on that lake you'll end up sawing grooves into the ice. I've lost 1 fish due to this and the swivel getting stuck. Was using fish house poles for my popup to pop it off...pretty simple. And actually it's pretty rare that you'll have to worry about it.

To heavy a line and I couldnt get the fall I was trying to achieve. I tie the power pro to a barrel swivel, then run a couple foot of leader material, usually a little heavier due to the handling at the hole. I know it doesnt make sense, try going lighter and you will bust off at the hole! Go to heavy and again I couldnt get the falls with the lures I'm using that I like. Kind of a trial and error game. Depends on the gear you're using more so then the line itself.

Couldnt go today, forgot my arrow shafts got to the post office...I'll be out there tomorrow.

Bc, you can go, one promise, NO CAMERAS lol! Oh and you'll be bound and blindfolded till the fish house is put up and you're inside

I'd like to make a run to paxson for lakers and burbot sometime this winter. now THAT would be fun, fish lakers till dark, then fish burbot till you're too tired to stay awake

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Yea your not in the ice fishing hot spot for sure big guy but man, your in the spot when spring and summer rolls around. When the ice goes out on watson lake Ill give you a shout. There are some very nice fish there. Ill bring the camper and the raft down and we can kick it for the weekend
    Oh don't I know it....Looking forward to a one hour drive compared to a 4 or 6 hour drive...Watson Lake? I'm not sure where that is, but I'm game or just about anything that involves fishing. We're gonna have to get together and fish sometime...

Fish On!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Sapper,

I also picked up a rod at frontier to have around as a backup....havent bothered getting it ready yet lol.

For line I'm using 12 power pro. It does good. It does hold water and air...so on the first couple drops she'll really mess with your flasher lol. It's also small enough diameter that if you have days like we've had on that lake you'll end up sawing grooves into the ice. I've lost 1 fish due to this and the swivel getting stuck. Was using fish house poles for my popup to pop it off...pretty simple. And actually it's pretty rare that you'll have to worry about it.

To heavy a line and I couldnt get the fall I was trying to achieve. I tie the power pro to a barrel swivel, then run a couple foot of leader material, usually a little heavier due to the handling at the hole. I know it doesnt make sense, try going lighter and you will bust off at the hole! Go to heavy and again I couldnt get the falls with the lures I'm using that I like. Kind of a trial and error game. Depends on the gear you're using more so then the line itself.

Couldnt go today, forgot my arrow shafts got to the post office...I'll be out there tomorrow.

Bc, you can go, one promise, NO CAMERAS lol! Oh and you'll be bound and blindfolded till the fish house is put up and you're inside

I'd like to make a run to paxson for lakers and burbot sometime this winter. now THAT would be fun, fish lakers till dark, then fish burbot till you're too tired to stay awake
    No Cameras?

Bound and Blindfoled? Can't argue that one, less work for this guy....

Fish On!

Default By the throat?!

BigCox, HOW! BOUT! THEM! COWBOYS!!! LOVIN' it!!! Lookin' forward to fishin' witcha man!!! It'll make for good times an Eagles fan and Cowboys fan fishin' together...You down for the Yakutat this year? I think I can finally make that one...

Sapper in the Skies

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    BigCox, HOW! BOUT! THEM! COWBOYS!!! LOVIN' it!!! Lookin' forward to fishin' witcha man!!! It'll make for good times an Eagles fan and Cowboys fan fishin' together...You down for the Yakutat this year? I think I can finally make that one...

Sapper in the Skies
    HAHA....yeah yeah....what a brick wall. Man, I can't believe that...I sure hope to go back to the Yak this year, we'll see...

Fish On!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Bring Me, Bring Me....

Fish On!

It is on the flats on the sterling highway. About 30 minutes north of soldotna or about 30 mintues from the russian river. I have been fishing it since 78/ Some pretty natural bows in there. I dont think it has ever been stocked. If it has I dont know about it. We will fish it for sure. flyrods and Ultra light spinning gear is alot of fun there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Good times

Fished Quartz friday ,Saturday and Sunday. Got a total of 16 fish over the weekend. One Each day in the 19"-20" range. The bigger fish were all bows and most of the smaller ones were salmon. This weekend and last the fish were hitting for me in the morning and stopped hitting around 12:30.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.