Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can i put ammo in a rifle case with rifle

Default Can i put ammo in a rifle case with rifle

I recall ammo has to be kept seperate from firearms when traveling in a vehicle. Michigan law of some kind. And I beleive ammo must be in a case or bag and out of reach of driver. Something about having ammo in the gun case is not legal.
    Can ammo be in gun case with gun when traveling on airline??

Default Ammo

They may have changed the laws but Delta/Northewest has it on their website that ammo can be packed with the guns. I always packed my ammo with my clothing as checked baggage. If I recall correctly that was their policy a few years ago. This is right off their site. This says you can pack ammo right with the guns. They also are restricting the contents of the gun case. May want to check before arriving at the airport, get names of people you talk to.

Firearms, Handguns, and Ammunition
    Passengers should check with Northwest for current policies, requirements, and restrictions on traveling with firearms and related items.
    Northwest Airlines does not accept guns or firearms of any kind in carry-on baggage.
    Northwest accepts handguns, BB guns, rifles, and shotguns as checked baggage, with certain limitations and requirements.

Northwest accepts one of the following in lieu of one piece of baggage included in the baggage allowance:
    • One (1) rifle case containing no more than four (4) rifles/shotguns, one (1) shooting mat, one (1) noise suppressor and tools.
    • One (1) pistol case containing no more than five (5) handguns, one (1) scope, one (1) noise suppressor and tools. When checked piece containing guns is in excess of weight allowance, appropriate excess charges apply.
      In addition to one (1) of the above items, Northwest accepts small arms ammunition up to a maximum of 11 pounds (5 kg). Guns and ammunition may be in the same piece of baggage. However, ammunition must be within its own packaging.
      For trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific travel, firearms may be included in the baggage allowance as described above. However, for international travel you must obtain and comply with regulations governing the transportation of firearms for *ALL* countries you are traveling to, including those where only flight connections occur.

Northwest accepts firearms, handguns, and ammunition under the following conditions:
      • All firearms must be locked in a suitable crush-proof / hard-sided container manufactured specifically for firearms or hard-sided suitcase. Hard-shell gun cases can be purchased at domestic airports.
      • Ammunition must be in the manufacturer's original packaging or a container specifically designed for ammunition. Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles will not be accepted.
      • Due to TSA regulations, gun cases must be properly locked. Often gun cases require further TSA inspection.
      • TSA approved locks are approved for checked baggage only. They are NOT approved for bags containing firearms. Northwest does not accept liability for loss, damage, or delay of firearms, handguns, and ammunition. Excess valuation insurance may not be purchased for transport of firearms, handguns, and ammunition.
        Return to top

Default Travel on airlines

I packed my ammo in the same case with rifle (pelican case) when I traveled abroad, TSA checked everything and said it was good, and so did the airlines (United Airlines and South African Airlines) Took two boxes (40 rounds) there is a limit on ammo.
    If you want really good info. on this go to: accuratereloading.com

When travelling in a vehicle in Alaska you can have the weapon loaded or have the ammo with the weapon. Just watch it when going on military bases/post they get a bit upset when you do either of those. In that case the ammo and weapons have to be separate from each other.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by haff202 View Post
    I recall ammo has to be kept seperate from firearms when traveling in a vehicle. Michigan law of some kind. And I beleive ammo must be in a case or bag and out of reach of driver. Something about having ammo in the gun case is not legal.
    Ammo can be in the firearm while in a vehicle in the State of Alaska. I was pulled over in Cooper Landing where the speed limit suddenly drops from 55mph to 35mph while carry a loaded concealed firearm. I disclosed this to the officer as required by state law, no problems. The nice Trooper even let me go with a verbal slow down, welcome to Alaska

Ammo can be in the gun case if it is in it's original package or equivalent hard plastic ammo case while traveling on some airlines, ie: USAirways.

ERA Airlines in Alaska does not allow ammo in the same case as the firearm. I found out the hard way after flying up on another airline and transferring to ERA in Anchorage.

You can put your cased ammo in your checked luggage if you declare it. That will keep you safe with all airlines. The only catch is your luggage needs to be locked just like your firearm case.

Thumbs down maybe

My experience is that it varies by airline and their agents may not even know their own rules. Check your particular airline rules on their website but be prepared to do something different if you need to when you try to check in.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Ammo can be in the firearm while in a vehicle in the State of Alaska. I was pulled over in Cooper Landing where the speed limit suddenly drops from 55mph to 35mph while carry a loaded concealed firearm. I disclosed this to the officer as required by state law, no problems. The nice Trooper even let me go with a verbal slow down, welcome to Alaska

try that coming into denali park... sign still says no hunting or loaded firearms..speedo drops to 55 through there and the parkies are tough on folks when they need the income boost
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default my understanding of a LOADED firearm

in the state of AK is that while being transported in a car, the magazine or clip may be loaded, BUT the chamber may NOT be loaded. This pretains to long guns and not a revolver or pistol (conceled or not).
    Gary

Since the main question is about airlines, your best way to determine this is to look at the websites of each airline you will be flying on and follow the most stringent rules. Also have a printout with you when you checkin, sometimes the counter monkey doesn't have a clue and will try to enforce their own rules.

Also check TSA for their regulations. AFAIK, you can carry ammo and the firearm in the same case (haven't been hassled yet).

I've flown on NW and Alaska Air, Alaska allows more ammunition (50lbs) in your checked bag, NW allowed 300 rounds or 11 lbs, whichever is met first (2005). I had to follow the NW regulations.

As for carrying loaded in your vehicle, the AK law classifies loaded as the magazine, clip, or chamber having a live round makes the entire firearm loaded. I remember this from my CCW class.

Quote Originally Posted by haff202 View Post

I think you are right as far as Mi law is concerned, with the exception of a cpl for your pistol.

I also believe based on my past flights with Northwest & AA that they want your ammo with the firearm. TSA will let you know when they inspect your gun & see the ammo with it if they want it packed differently.

I am also from Mi. I just pack it with my case & dont speed on the way to the airport

Alaska Airlines wants them seperate and the gun in a "hard" case to be locked after it is checked.

Thumbs up

Let me reinforce what blybrook said: print out the airline's website page where you got the info.

On the few occasions I've had airline employees misunderstand their own rules (or TSA employees misunderstand the agency's regs), a smile and the reference material has made everything better.

listen to 8x57 mauser real close

Default PLus one for mauser

Each airline is different check and have their paper in hand. I've had them confiscate ammo that was in a hard case but since it wasn't the original factory box they said "We'll take your reloaded ammo for you"
    Alaska airlines frowns on the gun and ammo together.

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    Each airline is different check and have their paper in hand. I've had them confiscate ammo that was in a hard case but since it wasn't the original factory box they said "We'll take your reloaded ammo for you"
    Alaska airlines frowns on the gun and ammo together.
    I have flown Alaska Air a few times with ammo in my rifle case with no issues. It even says on their website you can.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    Let me reinforce what blybrook said: print out the airline's website page where you got the info.

On the few occasions I've had airline employees misunderstand their own rules (or TSA employees misunderstand the agency's regs), a smile and the reference material has made everything better.
    Been there, done that. Didn't help. I had a printout that said I could have it in my case on NWA. She said I couldn't. Period. Didn't care how many printouts I had. This was in Anchorage. Now I just smile and agree cause I'm getting screwed anyway. The big problem is that it's a lot more important to YOU than it is to them.

Default No luck doing that!

Try flying from Seattle to Alaska on AA with your rifles and Ammunition in the same case, bet you don't get far. Alaska city to Alaska city maybe but these international airports in the lower 48 aren't to keen on that, speaking from experience!

The last two years I've flown Northwest Airlines, to and from Alaska, with two boxes of ammo (in original boxes) in my aluminum rifle case with my rifle. No problem with NWA or TSA, and I've watched both inspect the rifle case.

A few days before flying I print NWA's regulations from the web and take them with me as airline personnel seem to seldom know their company's regulations.

WhiteFish

I've always keeped my ammo separate packed in my suitcase. I also keep my bolt in my handcarry. I don't like people playing with my guns and if it was to grow a pair of legs, the gun is not much use to them without a bolt. I've never had a problem with this procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I've always keeped my ammo separate packed in my suitcase. I also keep my bolt in my handcarry. I don't like people playing with my guns and if it was to grow a pair of legs, the gun is not much use to them without a bolt. I've never had a problem with this procedure.
    I do like the idea of carrying the bolt in carry-on! I'm curious as to if anyone at TSA has ever asked you about the bolt when you're going through screening?

WhiteFish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast