Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .458 socom?

Default .458 socom?

Anyone have a .458 SOCOM and or tried one out? They look like a great idea but I am a bit concerned over felt recoil with the standard AR plastic butt plate or the thin rubber ones that come on after market stocks.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Midway sells a recoil pad that fits it. It really helps. Do not use one of the telescoping stocks, the recoil can make them auto collapse. My reloads are exactly the same as my 45-70. It offers 45-70 power in a semiauto rifle. It also uses standard mags. A 30 rd mag gives you 8 shots. I love mine.

I shoot one and I let my 13 year old son shoot it as well. He was a bit apprehensive the first time out. So, I shot it and he told me to get up from the bench, and he would take it from there. we are shooting on a collapsable stock with NO recoil pad. Just wear a jacket, sweater, or some standard issue fat.

All joking aside, unless you load this round so hot that you exceed the pressure limitations of an AR 15, you should be comfortable.

Cheers,

Matt M
    Last edited by Matt M; 01-08-2010 at 09:47. Reason: mis spellings

Thanks for the input. What bullets and what grain are you guys shooting? Have either of you used one on animals and if so how did it perform?

I realize it should perform very close to what a 45-70 can.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Anyone have a .458 SOCOM and or tried one out? They look like a great idea but I am a bit concerned over felt recoil with the standard AR plastic butt plate or the thin rubber ones that come on after market stocks.
    Gee Rob, why don't you just bring home one of the .50 cal's?

I unloaded a magazine/ 3-4 rounds,,, Its awesome, recoil was actually less then my 338. the 458socom was also on collapsable buttstock and had truglo sights... I fell in love and if i could afforde it I would have one,., and i'm 5'6" maybe 125lbs soaking wet.. barely felt recoil.. just loved the weapon..

and I was almost knocked on my a55 with the .50 alaskan... so i know the difference in recoils..lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

dont be a wuss, it has a buffer spring.. unless the 458 kit eliminates the buffer.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Gee Rob, why don't you just bring home one of the .50 cal's?
    If I could figure out how to squirrel one away from the military I sure would!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    dont be a wuss, it has a buffer spring.. unless the 458 kit eliminates the buffer.
    No they do not do away with the buffer and buffer spring.

Not much of a wuss when it comes to recoil but some of the other members of my family are a bit feminine and not as used to heavy recoil as I am.

I have one of these uppers inbound myself. They're impressive. I went with the SOCOM over the Beowulf and Bushmaster because of the bottle-necked case, bullet selection (can't beat .458 bullet variety), and the use of unmodified mags.

Don't worry about the stock... If your stock is collapsing the adjustment nut is probably a little tight and the pin isn't sitting at the bottom of the hole. We shot the snot out of a Beowulf with a standard M4 stock and never had any issues. If you're concerned about it use a Magpul UBR, ACS, or something similar. You won't get those to collapse on you.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by LAK Supply View Post
    I have one of these uppers inbound myself. They're impressive. I went with the SOCOM over the Beowulf and Bushmaster because of the bottle-necked case, bullet selection (can't beat .458 bullet variety), and the use of unmodified mags.

Don't worry about the stock... If your stock is collapsing the adjustment nut is probably a little tight and the pin isn't sitting at the bottom of the hole. We shot the snot out of a Beowulf with a standard M4 stock and never had any issues. If you're concerned about it use a Magpul UBR, ACS, or something similar. You won't get those to collapse on you.
    Its good to hear that about the collapsible stocks, I didn't understand how it could have that bad of recoil to make it slip. The stock M4 ones hold up well to grenade launchers and such.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

I just saw a pair of ROck river 458 socom uppers at Alaska Custom firearms today. THey looked pretty sweet. Might have to pick one up. Would be a heck of a backup or bear bait rifle.

RRA had a run of tough luck with their uppers failing to feed and failing to extract. I would definitely run some dummies through the actions before you buy one.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Anyone had any experience getting brass for this monster? I'm guessing no one in Anchortown has the Corbon stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I just saw a pair of ROck river 458 socom uppers at Alaska Custom firearms today. THey looked pretty sweet. Might have to pick one up. Would be a heck of a backup or bear bait rifle.
    How much were they asking?

$705.00. Now they have only one. Better hurry. I understand there's a bit of a wait from RRA. You might be able to get it quicker for a bit more at Gunbroker.

Saddly both are now gone. I was bummed when I went in yesterday and saw the last one being sold. I should have been quicker on the draw and got it last time I was there.

PK Firearms has the .458 SOCOM uppers in stock. This is a good company, reasonable shipping charges, same day shipping, and a great reputation on ar15.com. $670 plus shipping.

StarLine and Midway sell brass. Both out until mid February.

More info at http://www.458socomforums.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LAK Supply View Post
    I have one of these uppers inbound myself....
    Did you just get the RRA upper?

Good read on the subject:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=121&t=472321

I did get the RRA... she's here. Nice piece of work, just like most everything I've used from RRA.

Now to find some brass... it appears Starline will be making another run in a couple weeks, so I should have some inbound shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Did you just get the RRA upper?

Good read on the subject:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=121&t=472321
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast