Thread: riverboat envy

Default riverboat envy

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1541666940.html

No, its not mine.... be still my heart....

Default Same boat but different

We've run the same boat in a 24' for 20 plus years. The 3 stage pump was morphed into a single stage Hamilton 10" industrial. Overall performance improved dramatically. The noise reduction was huge.
    After changing out the 460Ford 3 or 4 times over the years, another option was found. After serious changes were made inside the boat, a 502 PFI engine was dropped in and hooked up to Hamilton. We've never been happier. This engine has outlasted the 460 hands down, has needed very little work on it over the past 8 years or so, carries HUGE loads, and is a tad bit better on fuel.
    The are great boats to have. Very durable, well fitted, and versatile, just as long as you don't have to go through big waves with them. They ride a bit rough.
    Nice find on the boat. It sure looks like it deserves a good home.

I saw that boat on Craigs also, looks like a good rig.
    AK RRat,
    What is your fuel consumption since you have changed the jet and the motor?
    72" bottom?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I had a 24' Duckworth with the 460 Redline, and they worked great. Tons of torque and very reliable. When I sold it last summer it had around 550 hours and it was running great. It would burn around 14-15GPH.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Man, I was looking at that boat as well!. not too shabby. If it were easier to upgrade my Almar Lite, It would be a bit better for me.

Default 502 gph

With heavy loads, in excess of 3,000lbs, 16gph. Same loads with the 460 and same pump was more than that, closer to 18gph. She seems to have more torgue and pull out of the hole.
    But add in that we are running hard downriver at 38mph. I think we tend to overload her a bit, and have to run a bit harder to stay on step.
    She belongs to a dear friend, so I never asked what the changes cost. Did not matter to me, only mattered that we had an additional asset that could haul butt and gear.
    If we lightened her up, and added the loads to the outboards, she could run less gph than that.
    4 to 6 guys, day gear, and 50 to 75 gallons of gas and she jumps up quick. Better hang on if the driver hits the throttle.
    Yes, 72" bottom at 1/4" thick. A very heavy setup, but again, durable as nobody's business.
    I like my outboard prop more, but this boat will carry way more in shallow water than I could dream of getting on step.
    The owner may have Hobbs times on each motor rebuild, not sure. I can say that the 502 has outlasted, under the same loads and same types of use, the 460 without a doubt. And I am a Ford fan.

That Wooly is still on C list this morning. For that price, I can't imagine anyone wouldn't run with it. Has anyone looked at it or seen it run? Maybe too much of a gas guzzler for most people? What a load hauler!

Default coveting

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    That Wooly is still on C list this morning. For that price, I can't imagine anyone wouldn't run with it. Has anyone looked at it or seen it run? Maybe too much of a gas guzzler for most people? What a load hauler!
    I'm still envious of it... If I had more money...

Its funny isn't it. If I only had more money. Any 24' Wooly, brand new or used usually doesn't even come close to having a asking price that low.

thats why its no longer up..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Yup, thats it.

Nice rig; the price is also very attractive and more than fair IMO. I originally considered and looked around for a boat of this nature and decided to settle on a Phantom after weighing the options of what I wanted most.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.