Thread: Porting Rifles

Default Porting Rifles

Are there any shops in the Anchorage or Valley area that port rifles and if so do you have any recommendations? If not I'll probably ship to Magna-Port.

Thanks

Man, I would really question the need for porting. I would move to a lighter recoiling caliber before I had a rifle ported bercause I don't care for the noise and asthetics of the ports. If you have to do it, I would go with Magna-Port rather than anyone local.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

King look at the magna port.. i think you will enjoy it.. I just Had my DE done with considerable recoil reduction with out noise increase..

i have three ported by arctic gun works also.. they are all very satisfactory.

magna port also has a brake / magna brake... more along the lines Chisana is spoofing about... you either lovem or hatem... i can not hear a difference in them.. either.i shoot with muffs. but have never herd or felt my rifle fire at an animal...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think Vince has pretty well summed this topic up. If you need porting, then you need Magna-Port.

I agree about not hearing shots at game, but the more animals I have killed and the more "routine" those shots become I do notice my ears ringing a little after the fact.

I suspect to get the full effect of auditory exclusion one must be shooting at "the most dangerous game".

Thank you gentlemen for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Thank you gentlemen for your input.
    Anytime mate. Always happy to help someone spend their dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Anytime mate. Always happy to help someone spend their dough.
    In this case it's my sons dough.

I think you get the full effect of the porting when you are off to the side. Foamies + muffs is not enough for the guy next to you.

I don't care if someone has a ported rifle, I'd just appreciate if they would set up far away from me at the range. Sorry this is off topic. I just feel really strongly about the subject.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

we do both porting and muzzle brakes. The porting seems to more to quell muzzle jump, while brakes tend to reduce recoil.

Porting has no measureable effect on the decible level IIRC. Our muzzle breaks increase sound by 1.4 decibles

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    we do both porting and muzzle brakes. The porting seems to more to quell muzzle jump, while brakes tend to reduce recoil.

Porting has no measureable effect on the decible level IIRC. Our muzzle breaks increase sound by 1.4 decibles
    Thanks, either myself or my son who is in Anc till the end of Feb will be contacting you.