Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30 bullet selection help for .06

Default .30 bullet selection help for .06

Hello all,
    I know there has been some discussion on this already, but I have my own niche to fill and need help. I'm loading for a Bolt 30.06 and I'm looking for a bullet that will do triple duty if possible. My main focus is for moose, then caribou then brownies. I don't take many shots out past 200 yards. I'm not a bear hunter per se, but would like a bullet that will perform if needed. I'm thinking 180gr here unless there is a compelling argument against it. I'm also looking at cost, I want to stock up on as many as I can afford. So I need to choose one bullet.

Currently I'm looking at the Nosler Partition vs their Accubond. Is the Partition that much better? How about the E-tip lead free? These are pricy and would like to know if they are really that much better than Sierra or Hornady

Next is Sierra 180 SBT Gameking vs Hornandy 180 BTSP with the Interlock ring. These are both half the price of Noslers. What are your opions of these? I know it's a question like what do you use for bear defense and I'll get lot's of answers, but I need to see some specific opinions and examples. Plus it's winter and we need to keep this forum active!

So, in short... one 180gr bullet from above and the most economical way to do it.

Regards,

Mountaintrekker

There's nothing on the Kenai Peninsula that I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting with a 180 gr Accubond. I've seen both Accubonds, and Partitions recovered from moose, and the Accubonds seemed to hold up better.
    For no particular reason other than reputation, I bought a box of Barnes Tipped Triple shock 180 gr. It took 20 rounds to find the perfect load, leaving 30 for hunting. I think it would take a long time for me to use 30 rounds for hunting. I found that 178 gr. Hornady A-max's (cheap) have the same point of aim for the 180 barnes, so I load bunches of them for practice. Coincidentally, Barnes and A-max's are the only bullets that will hold decent groups in my Kimber.

Whatever you do, don't buy Barnes from the Kachemak Gear Shed (Redden Marine) out East... they charge almost twice as much as Sportsman's, and they're not a local business anymore. Midway has proven the best option for bullets, as long as you're not in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Next is Sierra 180 SBT Gameking
    I went with the Gameking to try out for the same "triple threat" but I am new to reloading and haven't made or shot any '06 rounds. I thought the Gamekings would be good to at least experiment with.

I'd like to hear more opinions from others too.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I went with the Gameking to try out for the same "triple threat" but I am new to reloading and haven't made or shot any '06 rounds. I thought the Gamekings would be good to at least experiment with.

I'd like to hear more opinions from others too.

Tim
    I think Gamekings are a bit sketchy for bears. They're a traditional cup and core bullet with a relatively thin jacket, and most of them are boattail, which aids in jacket separation that much more.

In this case you need to set up for the worst-case scenario, and the bear is the toughest one of the three. You're looking for penetration, and the longer and heavier the bullet, the better. I'd consider the 200gr Swift A-Frame or the 180 TSX. Both will hold together nicely, but you might be able to get a little more velocity out of the TSX. Not that velocity matters much for 200yd shots, but some folks like it a lot.

UPDATE: Barnes makes a 200gr TSX but it requires a 1:10 twist. That would be a long bullet Nosler also offers a 220gr Partition semi-spitzer that should penetrate like no tomorrow.

If you are concerned with performance for value (and who isn't) take a look at the Speer 200 grain spitzer Hot-Cor. It is a less expensive alternative and I would have no hesitation using one for anything in AK out to 200 yards or a bit further in a 30/06. I know it does not have all the pizazz of the tipped bullets (Accubond, TTSX, etc.) but it is a great performing 30 caliber bullet nonetheless. Give a box of them a try, you may find they are exactly what you are looking for in the ought-six.

I've been shooting and hunting with an old 30-06 since 1974. Started with Hornady and have shot a lot of Speer too. But settled on two bullets for Alaska game. The Speer Grand Slam and the Nosler Partition both in 180 grain weight.

Several years ago I shot a bull moose in the neck with my 270 Win, from about 100yds, using a 150gr Nosler partition bullet. That little slug went squarely into, and out of, the neck vertabrae, and finally lodged just under the skin on the far side. Right on through the bone, and everything back of the partition still held together...not bad!
    Mr Moose never knew what hit him...dead in his tracks. Been fond of Nosler partitions ever since...

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

I just started shooting and loading for the 30-06 about a year ago. I wanted a all around load mostly for moose but that I could use on bear as well. For moose 180 grain is popular but many seem to like a little more for bear. So I went back and forth in my mind between the 220 grain and 180 grain partitions. Then I looked and found Nosler makes a 200 grain partition, and went with that, my 06 pushes these at 2550 fps with good groups though I can go up to a little over 2600 with no pressure signs but the groups open up, using H4350. zeroed at 225 yards puts it 3.3" high at 125 yrds and 4" low at 275 yrd. Past that about any bullet out of an 06 is going to need hold over correction for range, and I am not good enough at range esimation to do so.

I shot a moose last fall at 100 yard with it and got good performance from the bullet. I will continue to use this load in the future.

My preference would be:

180 Interlock Flat Base
    180 Partition
    180 Speer Hot-Cor

Just about any 180 grain bullet will work, but I like Interlocks the best. Might also consider the 190 Interlock, or 200 Speer or Partition.

We are fortunate to be living in a country where we have so many choices of quality bullets for such a fine old cartridge as the '06. You ask for "the most economical way to do it" and I suggest that you rethink your strategy. IMO spending money on a quality hunting bullet when hunting big game is a very small investment. When you count all the other expenses of a hunt, the cost of quality hunting bullets is absolutely nothing.

A 180grn bullet would be my choice...a Partition, Accubond, A-Frame, Trophy Bonded, or TSX are excellent choices. I have taken Alaska's big game with each of them. For the marksman who can put the bullet where it needs to be, when it truly counts...any of the aforementioned are a good choice. However, I am more partial towards a 180grn TSX, especially when you put big bears on the list, but the others are fine as well. That said, my own personal choice for fall hunting (and big bears) is the .375H&H...and a 270grn TSX.

Spend the money...hunting big game is not target practice.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    If you are concerned with performance for value (and who isn't) take a look at the Speer 200 grain spitzer Hot-Cor. It is a less expensive alternative and I would have no hesitation using one for anything in AK out to 200 yards or a bit further in a 30/06. I know it does not have all the pizazz of the tipped bullets (Accubond, TTSX, etc.) but it is a great performing 30 caliber bullet nonetheless. Give a box of them a try, you may find they are exactly what you are looking for in the ought-six.
    I second this motion. A few years ago I picked up a hundred or so of these at a gun show. I shoot them at about 2500fps out of my old model 700. The penetration is amazing, the shoot flat enough if you choose to shoot out to 300 yds,and they are fairly inexpensive.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default 200 np

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    I just started shooting and loading for the 30-06 about a year ago. I wanted a all around load mostly for moose but that I could use on bear as well. For moose 180 grain is popular but many seem to like a little more for bear. So I went back and forth in my mind between the 220 grain and 180 grain partitions. Then I looked and found Nosler makes a 200 grain partition, and went with that, my 06 pushes these at 2550 fps with good groups though I can go up to a little over 2600 with no pressure signs but the groups open up, using H4350. zeroed at 225 yards puts it 3.3" high at 125 yrds and 4" low at 275 yrd. Past that about any bullet out of an 06 is going to need hold over correction for range, and I am not good enough at range esimation to do so.

I shot a moose last fall at 100 yard with it and got good performance from the bullet. I will continue to use this load in the future.
    I too like the 200 gr NP for all around use in the 3006. Point blank rank on a moose, sighted in 3 inches high at 100, at that velocity, will be 425 yds. Hold in the center of moose and you will hit the heart/lung kill zone. The retains more foot pounds at longer ranges as the 180 and shoots the same trajectory.

The bullet will hold together up close as well.

+1 for the 200 NP.

Default so many choices...

I loaded the 200 grain Nosler Partition for years. It is a good Alaskan hunting bullet. When the X bullets showed up I switched to the 180 grain bullets. I will probably never go back. Less recoil, deeper penetration, etc. It has worked well on moose, caribou and black bears. It will work well on grizzly/brown bears. The old 220 grain .30 caliber Nosler Partition has a very good reputation as a big bear bullet. If you really won't shoot past 200 yards it will serve you well. I have never heard where the Accubond out penetrates the Partition. Maybe some one else has. Call Nosler and ask them which bullet would be the best choice for brown bear.

Good news for you!

A whole pile of 30 cal bullets are designed for the .30-06 velocities and performance is pretty predictable these days out of most of them.

I like the Accubonds a lot and I've been a fan of Trophy Bonded in the past- all of those I've seen recovered look like a magazine ad after punching through a bunch of critter.

Honestly I'd feel good about most of the choices mentioned here.

My bullet of choice would be the Nosler Partition 200grn bullet. If that wont kill it then nothing will.

Default barnes

I had a ruger 06 that would only shoot the barnes tsx 200 grn bullet, it was a very hard combo to beat. the nosler p would be my second choice

"I'm not a bear hunter per se, but would like a bullet that will perform if needed"

Then you should go premium. Partition, TSX woodleigh etc.

Interlocks and spire point are fine for Heart lung and ungulates. But a sub optimal shot on a bear? Don't take the chance.

Post i moved to 168gr ttsx

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Good news for you!

A whole pile of 30 cal bullets are designed for the .30-06 velocities and performance is pretty predictable these days out of most of them.

I like the Accubonds a lot and I've been a fan of Trophy Bonded in the past- all of those I've seen recovered look like a magazine ad after punching through a bunch of critter.

Honestly I'd feel good about most of the choices mentioned here.
    .............at 44+$ a box for them "Trophy Bonded "feds (read..$2.20 a shot) i took one apart(fed) and found a "t" on the bottem of the bullet..and i see a "x" on the bottem of the ttsx bullet and the same number of grove lines to boot ...made me wouder who's making what for whome... oh well i'v made the move to a "faster bullet" and 11 grs of bullet wt less. I do have a picture(from a "real camra") of a bear heart that was taken with a 200gr n=partion@175yds..it put the hurt on him x10...i well see if i can scan and post...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Thumbs up 30-06 Load

30-06 Accumark Load
    Vihtavuori N160 @ 56.0
    185 Berger VLD Hunting Bullet
    Fed 210M Primer
    R P Cases
    3.333" in my Accumark

I have a little different view of bullets than most I guess. The new super tough bullets are just that and as a rule don't expand well at lower velocities (longer ranges). A 180gr cup and core from an 06 at 2750 or so will penetrate fairly well even at a very short range. It will still open up at longer ranges for caribou. If your really nervous about bear then a 200gr cup and core will provide all the penetration you need with adequate expansion at longer ranges. I use a Speer 180gr BT in my 300 H&H at 2950. It gives complete penetration on moose shoulders. Whether the jacket stays intact or not doesn't concern me if the penetration is adequate and it is. Rem corelokts have been around for a long time and have been working very well at 06 velocities. The 30cal magnums are a different story. Above 2800fps or there about, it's time to look at a tougher bullet. 3000+ and cup and cores definitely start loosing penetration from expanding to rapidly. The Nosler Partions are a very good compromise of penetration at close range and expansion at long range but are expensive. The 30/06 has worked so well for so long with cup and core bullets that I'm going to be hard to convince that it really needs a super tough bullet or that it will make much difference. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. The 30/06 with C&C 180's is not broken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast